Are Adjustable Drivers Bandaiding Swing Flaws?

No adjustable clubs for me right now. I don't think you can Band aid a bad swing. A bad swing is a bad swing no matter what the club is. No doubt some clubs are more forgiving than others, but there is a limit to what the club can do to help the person.

I agree with what JB said. It's not so much about fixing band aids but being fit for the club. Being able to open or close the face to give you better launch angles and spin rates is there to help you, not harm you.

That being said, changing those settings after every bad shot will make you worse and probably a basket case

Only thing adjustable drivers do is fit the driver to your swing/desired ball flight. It's not going to fix or mask a swing flaw.

Are Adjustable Drivers Bandaiding Swing Flaws?

No I don't think so, a driver set to the highest loft, closed face, and draw weighted will not cure a slice that is caused by an over the top swing.

The adjustable driver is more to make fittings easier in my opinion. For example, the R1 I was fitted for had the loft set at 9.5 degrees to reduce my higher launch angle, draw weighted to keep my ball on the left side of the fairway, a square face, and a 65 gram RIP phenom TP shaft to keep my ball flight down a bit. The results were pretty nice, and I was able to hit consistently. But the only other adjustment the taylormade rep made was to change the shaft to upright lie to help my timing and making squaring the face a bit easier for me. Another thing they suggested was a 44 inch shaft, I'm 5,8 and the average 45ish shaft is too long resulting in inconsistent sweet spot striking.

This is in my opinion what an adjustable driver is for, proper fitting

Sent from my iPhone 5, using Tapatalk 2

Yep, JB said what I was going to say. No 2 swings are alike. Personally, I love the adjustable drivers. TexasHacker brings up another good point about switching shafts in and out on them now. What a great feature that is for us golfers now. Use to be so much harder to get done. I think there are just too many pro's in an adjustable driver.

With regards to drivers with "soleplate" technology (R11, R11S, R1), does anyone feel that is more for an aesthetic improvement or is it more for shaft angle/flight?

From personal experience, it has helped me. I have my R11 at 9.5* and the sole plate has helped me keep square the face a bit since lowering the loft opens the face

Sent from my iPhone 5, using Tapatalk 2

Hackers have no swing flaws whatsoever.

My 2 cents.........if you are going to budget $450-$500 for the latest and greatest adjustable driver out there, great, go for it, hopefully it will give you more confidence in your swing, and it could possibly be the best club in your bag.

However, you could take the same amount of $, spend $300 on lessons and the remaining $200 on a new fitted driver and see what the difference might be!

I have yet to see an adjustable driver improve a golf swing. Flaws are flaws no matter what you swing, they will show through

I don't think it's a band-aid at all. I think they are maximizing ones potential and acomodating the unique swings we all have.

To me it's mostly yes but some no. My philosophy is if you want to hit it straight or straighter fix your swing not the club. Yes that takes more time and isn't an instant gratification but that means you can swing any club (with the right shaft) and hit it straight. An adjustable driver doesn't fix a swing but to me gives a false positive.

A high school buddy of mine bought an R11s driver and adjusted it and is hitting it pretty straight and thinks he can hit any driver straight. I gave him my driver (we have the same shaft style) and he couldn't hit it straight to save his life. I put his driver back to neutral everything and he couldn't hit it straight. False positives

The switching shafts thing is awesome though except I play a glued driver (really don't want to buy a adjustable driver for the reason above. I want a better swing not a club that masks a little)

A high school buddy of mine bought an R11s driver and adjusted it and is hitting it pretty straight and thinks he can hit any driver straight. I gave him my driver (we have the same shaft style) and he couldn't hit it straight to save his life. I put his driver back to neutral everything and he couldn't hit it straight. False positives

I know what your trying to say here. And to me it is a bad example. It sounds like, according to that logic, a runner should be able to wear any shoe. The fact you're high school buddy needs different build specs on his driver seems logically. You two have different body types.

I know what your trying to say here. And to me it is a bad example. It sounds like, according to that logic, a runner should be able to wear any shoe. The fact you're high school buddy needs different build specs on his driver seems logically. You two have different body types.

And two different swings. Adjustable drivers are about fitting, not band aiding swing flaws.

No. But a simple fitting tool makes more of a difference in a swing with lots of flaws rather than a swing with few. That's why it makes such a huge difference.

Oh and by the way, Bridgestone Golf rules!

I honestly think it helps the manufacturers and retailers just as much as the consumer. Before Adjustability a manufacturer had to make an 8 degree, 9.5 degree, 10.5 degree, 12 degree. Added with those degrees a woman's shaft, senior shaft, regular shaft, stiff shaft, and x-stiff shaft. That is up to 40 different SKUS just to get someone fit.

Taylormade just cut their SKU's down in the R1 to 4. Titleist in the 913 series has done this as well. Driver with woman's, senior, regular, stiff, and extra stiff shafts. They obviously have different shafts they can put in them. But man, I bet the cost saving effects for Taylormade R1 and Titleist 913's are astronomical. Hope one day they pass the saving on to the end consumer.

Back