Launch Monitor numbers, what's good?

Tadashi70

Reaction score
Handicap
I know everyone has different numbers based on their swing. What's good for one may not be good for another. But I wonder is there a baseline or set of numbers people look for.

How do you know the numbers you are seeing are right for you? And are different monitors going to give you varying numbers or will your numbers be true across all monitors?

Lots of places put out an optimum number that people should have such as Trackman.
I believe that there are too many people that chase those numbers. Fitting should be about maximizing the numbers available for your swing, not trying to fit your swing into something that might be unobtainable for an individual.

I have pretty same numbers on different monitors. I have feel about the numbers I want to reach, and I know what I need to work on. Usually, like most, I look at swing speed, angles, spins.

I've hit on all the big brands, and some different sims. Always in the same range, which is good enough for me.

I do know what's best for me, but that took a lot of time to figure out. Generally, speaking, what's best for my game isn't always what gives me the best/longest on the monitor. Example being that combos with higher launch and really low spin give me great LM results, but in practice they are not great for me on course.

I think people get to focused in on numbers and forget that launch monitors are only part of the equation.

I am looking for something that does not kill me when I miss. I get to spend some more time with the LM today and it will be interesting to see if the numbers look the same or if the swing I bring to the course today changes anything. I didn't think I was as high spin of a player as I am until this weekend.

I know everyone has different numbers based on their swing. What's good for one may not be good for another. But I wonder is there a baseline or set of numbers people look for.

How do you know the numbers you are seeing are right for you? And are different monitors going to give you varying numbers or will your numbers be true across all monitors?

I personally don't pay much attention to all the numbers, I leave that to the guy that does that for a living and he tells me yay or nay. I pay attention to smash factor, dispersion, and how far I'm off line, those are the numbers I care about.

The Trackman charts serve as a pretty good baseline for target numbers given a certain swingspeed, etc. That said, and as already noted, the fitting really involves getting the best performing driver for that person's game (I find them much less helpful for irons). The numbers will vary, especially with regards to spin since some monitors calculate it versus actually measuring it (although I think spin numbers are highly overrated for the vast majority of golfers anyway). I think well-informed golfers can fit themselves fairly well given access to enough fitting options and a good launch monitor - it is far simpler with the help of a good fitter though.

I wouldn't know. Never been on one. Hopefully I can get a few swipes on it this weekend.

My numbers have been pretty consistent across monitors regardless of which one I've been on.

I focus on LA, spin, deviation, apex and smash factor(most important IMO). If the monitor shows it I like to see what face angle is because if it's close more than 2* or open more than 2* on average that will change the rest of the numbers, closed decrease loft everything goes down except smash factor(it goes up), if it's open everything goes up except smash factor(it goes down)

I have no idea what are considered good numbers but for me drivers that give me the most carry have my spin around 2300 to 2400 and a launch angle between 14 and 15. I'm not trying to chase any numbers because I don't know what is good so when I have hit in a sim or lm I come back here and ask if I'm in a good range. A lot of smart and helpful people on here.

17/1700

#HolyGrail
:)

I mostly use sims/launch monitors for lessons, the only number I chase are a straight(er) club path and square face

First off I know what isn't good. With my Amp Cell it is straight as an arrow but 20* and 4400 rpm greatly reduces distance. When I test other clubs and can get to 14 and 23-2400 I notice a huge bump in distance. Those numbers must be good for me.

First off I know what isn't good. With my Amp Cell it is straight as an arrow but 20* and 4400 rpm greatly reduces distance. When I test other clubs and can get to 14 and 23-2400 I notice a huge bump in distance. Those numbers must be good for me.
Wow, 20* .. this is interesting boss, as with the same club, I'm in the 11* and 2700 rpm range .. this hitting the DUO ball ..
My Nike Super Softs spun a bit more .. really liking this DUO ball, a lot!

Wow, 20* .. this is interesting boss, as with the same club, I'm in the 11* and 2700 rpm range .. this hitting the DUO ball ..

lots of things factor into those numbers but angle of attack plays a huge roll in what the #'s are for each individual player.

I am not near this anymore. I am not perfect but I am much better due to improving a swing flaw that caused the inflated launch and superspin.

I am not near this anymore. I am not perfect but I am much better due to improving a swing flaw that caused the inflated launch and superspin.
I know we have charts and variances of what is and what isn't "perfect" or as I'd say, desirable .. but so much depends on so many other factors ...

The Pro-V just spins like a devil with me .. love it off the wedges, flops, chips, etc .. but off the driver? Crazy spin!
OTH, the Duo and the Nike SS don't act as nice as the Pro-V with the wedges, but with the driver .. they simply explode!
I'd give the edge to the DUO though.

This new technology is simply too much input right now .. for me! :)

I know we have charts and variances of what is and what isn't "perfect" or as I'd say, desirable .. but so much depends on so many other factors ...

The Pro-V just spins like a devil with me .. love it off the wedges, flops, chips, etc .. but off the driver? Crazy spin!
OTH, the Duo and the Nike SS don't act as nice as the Pro-V with the wedges, but with the driver .. they simply explode!
I'd give the edge to the DUO though.

This new technology is simply too much input right now .. for me! :)

Concur without a proper fitting to have someone else tell me what's up it can be paralysis by analysis.

Concur without a proper fitting to have someone else tell me what's up it can be paralysis by analysis.
LOL! Exactly! But like others, I don't get too caught up #'s. But it is fun to experiment with things .. :)

Lots of places put out an optimum number that people should have such as Trackman.
I believe that there are too many people that chase those numbers. Fitting should be about maximizing the numbers available for your swing, not trying to fit your swing into something that might be unobtainable for an individual.

I personally don't pay much attention to all the numbers, I leave that to the guy that does that for a living and he tells me yay or nay. I pay attention to smash factor, dispersion, and how far I'm off line, those are the numbers I care about.

I think these two posts are perfect. Focus on dispersion, how well you're hitting the ball, and how straight you're hitting it. Outside of that don't even look at the numbers and let the fitter put what's best for you in your hands. Then go out and see if it works for you on the course. Just because you can get optimal numbers showing on a LM doesn't mean it'll be a gamable (is that even a word?) club for you on the course and ultimately that's what we want right? Clubs that give results on the course not a LM?

I'll look at smash, launch and spin numbers. I'll glance over at carry, but I'm getting good at knowing what ball speed should equate into what distance now.

I've noticed that my numbers are consistent across different monitors.

With that said, I gave up on the monitors and, for my last fitting, let my club pro do the work. He knows my swing and game and could tell, after an hour on the range, what clubs were best for me. Rather than focusing on numbers it was all about "how does that feel" and "how does that look to you". I don't have all the new clubs yet, but with the driver, which didn't give me the best numbers on the monitors but I responded the best to and he liked the best for me, I hit 12 of 14 fairways for more distance than before.

Back