Anybody have trouble with SHANKING chip shots ?

Yes I do and it sucks. It happens, I'm stunned and it won't happen again

I've done it before and it'd something I worked on in the winter. I focus on making good contact and getting the ball towards the hole. Every now and then my mind gets in the way and I'll shank or thin one pretty bad.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Some times my hands get to involved and top the ball usually it happens when my tempo is getting to fast on my swing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sometimes I'll look up too soon and end up shanking or chunking a chip/pitch. Drives me crazy. After reading through this thread I probably have some deceleration going on too.

I do it from time to time. What I find is that I get my weight leaning forward and get myself out over my toes which then pushes my upper body out and over the ball along with my arms. To counter it, I put what I feel is a ton of weight (probably not more than 50-55%) back on my heels and kind of give myself a sitting feeling. Really helps keep me from getting my weight out of my toes...

Focus on keeping your chipping stroke like your putting stroke. It should keep your wrists from breaking, which should eliminate the shanks.

This ^^^^^
After great (relatively speaking) improvements last year with my chipping overall I have suffered in the few rounds I played this year thus far. Reason being is that several recent swing lessons and range sessions are very fresh in my mind and have me so focused on my swing that I mistakenly and wrongfully been applying it to my chipping.

I just been so caught up in the swing stuff that it killed my chipping but then last round out I remembered to tell myself this stuff doesn't apply to my chipping. Remembered to play it more like a putt stroke. And just like that it started to come back.

So not quite resolved yet but much more comfy with it again as far as the shorter chips/pitches. However, I'm still for now struggling (for the same reason) with the somewhat bit longer chips/pitches. Here again I'm incorporating too much from my swing lessons and practices.

Can a MOD get rid of that S* word in the title? :angel:
That's bad mojo.

Shank fixes....

1. Put your change in your left pocket.
2. Tie your left shoe in a double knot.
3. Turn your hat backwards.
4. Take a tee and stick it behind your left ear.

Do all of these, all of the time and you will never hit another shank in your life......I promise.

Mostly chunking them or leaving them short. Generally I try to stick to Stockton's method, so I'm rarely opening the face much. My biggest problems is hitting an aeration hole and getting a funky kick or hitting them very short.

Yep, I "shank" chips whenever I open the face for a slide-under flop and I fail to slide it under. It's not truly a shank since I'm blading it with the 45 degree open leading edge, but the result sure looks like a shank.

I've shanked everything with an iron, pitches, sand shots, chips, short approaches, punch out from trouble, etc... On my chips I need to use my putting stroke, remember to accelerate through the ball and raise the heel a bit off the ground at address to keep it from grabbing the turf. A lot to think about. They all seem to happen more from tight lies, or hitting from dirt.

I go through this from time to time, too. Sometimes because I'm crowding the ball, but mostly because I have my weight on my toes and I take the club too far back to the inside. I have been trying to focus on pointing my thumbs to the sky in my backswing, I just feel like it helps me take the club back on a straight line. Just remember, you get them, then they go away, then you get them again, and they go away again... Not even the pros are immune!

Sometimes, but my missed chip is more likely a chunk.
fwiw I came across a method a few years ago for chipping that is nearly fool proof. It's basically a super strong grip with my left turned over on top of the club and my right hand way under, a narrow, slightly open, stance, and all my my weight on my forward foot, ball in the middle of my stance or just a little back. If I do all this I can hit some pretty crisp chips most of the time. The super strong grip makes it really hard to flip the club. To get an idea of the grip sole the club with toe almost straight at the target, take a normal neutral vardon grip, then turn the club back to square.

fwiw I came across a method a few years ago for chipping that is nearly fool proof. It's basically a super strong grip with my left turned over on top of the club and my right hand way under, a narrow, slightly open, stance, and all my my weight on my forward foot, ball in the middle of my stance or just a little back. If I do all this I can hit some pretty crisp chips most of the time. The super strong grip makes it really hard to flip the club. To get an idea of the grip sole the club with toe almost straight at the target, take a normal neutral vardon grip, then turn the club back to square.

This is something I just learned at my lesson. Instructor said have a tighter grip with your left hand and barely have any pressure with your right hand. Act as if your right hand is a piston. I have been doing this and it has helped keep my left wrist flat.

This is something I just learned at my lesson. Instructor said have a tighter grip with your left hand and barely have any pressure with your right hand. Act as if your right hand is a piston. I have been doing this and it has helped keep my left wrist flat.

Yep, keeping that lead wrist from breaking down leads to a whole lot of good things.

Shanked 4 or 5 pitch shots in only 9 holes today. I blame this thread and not my lousy skills.

This is what I do. I make sure to keep the face on the target line and accelerate through the ball. Usually if I blade it it's because I psyched myself out on distance or a hazard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well I just started to on the practice range Friday after reading this post. Exactly what Trout said occurred. Funny thing is i watched myself do it.

I do it from time to time. What I find is that I get my weight leaning forward and get myself out over my toes which then pushes my upper body out and over the ball along with my arms. To counter it, I put what I feel is a ton of weight (probably not more than 50-55%) back on my heels and kind of give myself a sitting feeling. Really helps keep me from getting my weight out of my toes...

This is it for me--if I shank--I am out on my toe and moving toward the ball in some way to move the path of the club too far over--staying back and focusing on the stroke versus thinking hit help this a ton. Other tips here are great too--balance and tempo with the stroke keep it simple for me. I don't think I have ever focused on smooth path with tempo and shanked--if I shank I am thinking hit the ball or trying to hit and watch etc.

I shank plenty of chip shots and it drives me insane. Usually happens when there's a bunker to the right also.

Back