Anybody have trouble with SHANKING chip shots ?

inthehole

Holly Sonders Caddie
Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 11.5
I hardly ever shank full swing shots, but once every round or so, I randomly dead shank a little green side chip shot. Weird part is that I have never been able to tell if it's a shank off the hosel or off the end of the toe - result is the same - right angle from the intended line. I've put alot of time into my chipping & it's one of my strengths - just this random shank frustrates me beyond belief ... just curious if anybody else has had to deal with this & how they corrected it ?

I do it at least 1-2 times, if not more, EVERY round. Even in practice and can't seem to figure out why I do it.

Indeed, it's from taking the club too far inside which is easy to do with wedges, my hips slide forward and the hosel comes through first lol. #shankapotamus

It's a balance issue. I try to keep even weight evenly distributed over the balls of my feet and my heel, and my center of gravity over the feet.

Indeed, it's from taking the club too far inside which is easy to do with wedges, my hips slide forward and the hosel comes through first lol. #shankapotamus

WHAT ^^^^ said

Take notice of what your hands and wrists are doing. If you're "flipping" your wrists inside because you're hinging your wrists, you're essentially laying the club off, which exposes the hosel. If you don't shut the face back down, you can skull or shank it.

Focus on keeping your chipping stroke like your putting stroke. It should keep your wrists from breaking, which should eliminate the shanks.

Take notice of what your hands and wrists are doing. If you're "flipping" your wrists inside because you're hinging your wrists, you're essentially laying the club off, which exposes the hosel. If you don't shut the face back down, you can skull or shank it.

Focus on keeping your chipping stroke like your putting stroke. It should keep your wrists from breaking, which should eliminate the shanks.

Great advice. Choke down on a less lofted club and hit it like a putt. You'll never shank a ball with that move, though you can't always do that with every lie.

short chips are my kryptonite....If I could figure out how to not shank or thin 2 or 3 a round I could drop 4-6 strokes pretty quick I think

A tip that helped me chip better, keep the palm of your right hand hidden. That helped me bring the club straight back and through. It also keeps the leading edge down so you won't blade one over the green.

Great advice. Choke down on a less lofted club and hit it like a putt. You'll never shank a ball with that move, though you can't always do that with every lie.

You can basically take the same stroke with a wedge and the loft of the club. That helps when you're in the rough war kind of a funky lie. Although, if the lies terrible, I will just hit a pitch shot or a flop shot rather than chip.

In my mind, a chip shot should resemble a pot. You should get the ball rolling quickly and let the ball roll out to the flag.

Back to the point at hand, I inevitably find that I will start "thinning" chips when I get to wristy. When it's really bad, I'll sometimes shank a shot. If I go back and focus on putting with the Chipshot, things get squared up rather quickly.

This scenario happens to me. I have to really remember to not let my wrists break down. I've gotten better, but it still rears its head.

oh yeah this is a issue I have, all nice a close to the green to chip it up nice for a birdie. But then I take a swing and end up hitting it 50 yards pass the green. Yep I have done that tons of time. Actually went over this with my instructor last night and he said my issue is flipping the wrist. So if I keep a straight wrist I will be fine.

My issue with chips is chunking them, not shanking them.

This happens to me now and then - it's usually because I get lazy and don't make sure I'm set up right. I'll be way out in front of it at address, and end up just throwing my hands at the ball and sending it off to the right. I need to remember that even though it's a short distance, it's still a stroke, the same way as my approach would be.

I dont like to say the word but I really dont do it to often if ever with wedges. Now hitting them fat... whole nother ball game.

happens to me a few times a year for about a week at a time. Mostly it's because I bring it back too far inside and I close the face while bringing it back. Leads to no good things.

This is what I was going to say. 2 years ago I had a HUGE problem with these, but it has been much better since I took a few lessons and practiced hard to combat this move.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

Thx guys for the info - glad I'm not alone !

I have a buddy who suffers from this regularly, he spends a lot of time practicing and getting some short game lessons, he would tell you it's all in his head and a bunch of decel and no load.

This is my issue with short shots, it can rear its ugly head at any given time. At least I didn't do this when I played with ATLGolfer earlier this month.

Happened to me for a stretch. I actually felt like giving up for a nanasecond. Was from taking it too far inside. Emailed my PGA pro and he gave me a quick drill to straighten it out. (Hit chips with a ball or object to the right of your ball you are chipping. Mentally it wore me out. But you can overcome it.

Had this happen the day of a match play event.... killed my confidence and I have been trying to get back to the basics to get past this.

Thanks for the tips guys, will take this to the range tonight and see if they help.

This is usually my miss with just about any of my irons.

One thing I find helpful is to have an open stance. I also tend to choke up on the club. Haven't had any shank issues - so far.

used to have a major issue with this. After doing a ton of perfect chips on the range, i'd shank one and then couldn't stop shanking them no matter how hard i tried... used to happen all the time, and sometimes manifest on the course. My instructor played 9 with me once when it happened, and he said i was decelerating on the downswing. He said i should control my distance with the backswing, but always accelerate through the ball. I really have no had the issue since.

Back