Picking Up a new Hybrid. Which one???

codybwallace

Reaction score
Handicap
I am picking up a new hybrid this weekend (possibly today or tomorrow) and I need to know where to start my search. I will hit as many hybrids as possible, but I would like to walk in with a pretty narrow list. I will be buying a head/shaft combo off of the rack, so please keep that in mind when suggesting a model.

A little about me/my swing.

I am currently playing an IDEA Pro a12 w/Matrix Ozik Shaft (stiff). I am looking for something in the 20* range. I feel that I have a pretty deliberate tempo. I am not sure what my SS is for a hybrid, but my driver SS is around 105mph. For some reason I have a problem hooking the ball with my hybrids. This is obviously something I need to work on, but thought that I may need to add this for better suggestions.

Hybrids this year are where it's at, IMO. So many great ones out there, it's really hard to choose.

My top 3, in no particular order so far are the Cobra Amp Cell hybrid, Cleveland Classic Hybrid, and the Callaway XHot Hybrid.

The Amp Cell is adjustable loft, so that 20* range could be tinkered with for a 3h or 4h.

The Classic is an absolute bomber. Off the tee and off the deck, just LONG.

The Xhot is stupid easy to hit. Gets up in the air quick, and turf interaction is perfect.

Have you checked out the review threads on each one out there right now? Tons of great info on just about every hybrid out there.
Some favorites - Cleveland Classic, Callaway X-Hot, Bridgestone J40
I played the same hybrid for 3 years until this year and made a switch to one of the above. So many great options.

1. Cleveland launcher FL hybrid
2. Mizuno JPX 825 hybrid
3. Callaway X hot hybrid

Lots of good info on different hybrids. There is a Callaway XHot Hybrid forum testing going on right now: http://www.thehackersparadise.com/f...584-Callaway-XHot-Hybrid-Forum-Testing-Review

Also the Adams Super LS and S Hybrids were reviewed by JMan recently and he was just raving about them:
LS - http://www.thehackersparadise.com/?p=19011
S - http://www.thehackersparadise.com/?p=18999

There is also a Stage2 hybrid forum testing going on as well: http://www.thehackersparadise.com/f...-TaylorMade-RBZ-Stage-2-Hybrids-Review-Thread

I personally have Last Years Tmade Rocketballz 19* 3 Hybrid - took some getting used to but now that I understand the club its amazing - has gotten me out of trouble many times- hot off the face and gets the ball up quickly with a nice flight.

Also, since the RBZ Stage 2 is out now I bet you can pick them up for cheap.

Wow. The X-Hot is getting a lot of love. I like the idea of the adjustability of a hybrid though. Keep the suggestions coming. In the meantime I will check out these testing threads.

Thanks a lot guys.

Since you have quite a few ping clubs in your bag i would give the g25 a look at.... the matte black head just builds confidence and are also very easy to hit.

What distance are you looking for? What kind of ball flight "height" do you prefer? Just some other things for you to consider as you're looking at options. I play a 19 deg Mizuno JPX FLI-HI. Not the flashiest, and certainly not the most popular, but works for me (also is quite inexpensive, though usually available as a special order). If I were in the market, the 910 (and now 913) from Titleist, and a TM RBZ Tour 4 (if you can find one) would be on the short list.

One other thought, have the shop check the actual loft. I have a couple of back-ups, and they were each off on the loft, one of them by 2 degrees (labelled loft was 20, actual was 18). If you're looking to fill a specific gap, this could be important.

I'd definitely check out the stage 2 hybrids from taylormade as well. I love mine. But the best advice I can give you would be to hit as many of the brands out there before buying, what works for me or someone else may not work for you. You need to find the one that you like and gives you the most confidence.

I would advise you to read through the testing threads thoroughly. That way you will have a great starting point of what your looking for and what you don't want. In my opinion, the X-Hot is really killing the Hybrid game right now. Check them all out though. You never know what you may find.

Confidence is key for me to hit a hybrid. That is something I do not have right now. I feel like that is the most important thing right now. I would like a higher ball flight out of a hybrid, but I want that out of every club in my bag right now.

I was looking for a new hybrid this weekend at demo day at a local couse i hit alot of shots my ranking was
1. Adams LS
2. RBZ Tour Stage 2
3. Cobra Amp
4. X Hot Pro
5. Ping G25
6. 913 H
7. Cleveland Classic
8. Covert Tour

The Adams was the best by far easy to hit shaft is the real deal good distance. RBZ and Amp were very close did not feel as good as the LS, The XHot Pro had way to much offset for me felt as though i was tring to cast the club on the swing it was easy to hit off the deck but tougher to hit off the tee because of the shallow face. The rest were ok except the Covert was a dog felt dead and life less nice size head but that was it it was also the shortest of any of them

I went into it think i wanted the covert/RBZ/Amp due to the adjustablity but the LS was far Superior so it was my choice

I was looking for a new hybrid this weekend at demo day at a local couse i hit alot of shots my ranking was
1. Adams LS
2. RBZ Tour Stage 2
3. Cobra Amp
4. X Hot Pro
5. Ping G25
6. 913 H
7. Mashie
8. Covert Tour

The Adams was the best by far easy to hit shaft is the real deal good distance. RBZ and Amp were very close did not feel as good as the LS, The XHot Pro had way to much offset for me felt as though i was tring to cast the club on the swing it was easy to hit off the deck but tougher to hit off the tee because of the shallow face. The rest were ok except the Covert was a dog felt dead and life less nice size head but that was it it was also the shortest of any of them

I went into it think i wanted the covert/RBZ/Amp due to the adjustablity but the LS was far Superior so it was my choice

Thanks for the list.

I was looking for something in the 18 -20 * and after hitting the 3 I was interested in (Amp, X-Hot & Nike) I walked away with X-Hot Pro 20* just loved the baby fade and distance I was getting from the club as it filled the gap I was missing in my bag.

I had tried a couple of cheap hybrids in the past ( a Wilson & a TaylorMade) and always hit hooks or popups. Now have a Mashie+ & not only is the shaft incredible if I swing it like an iron it flat out kills the ball. I drive it pretty well & don't play a long course anyways. I'm not sure there will be ton of opportunites to use it but I hope to get comfortable when playing courses out of town. Alwasy seem to stuggle on the 200 yard par 3's but this thing is going to be my secret weapon.

Have a look at the Callaway XHot hybrids. I've been playing the Razr X hybrid for over a year now and absolutely love it. super easy to hit from any lie

My Top 3.

1. Bridgestone J40
2 See Aboive
3. See #1 and #2

My top three would be

Super LS
J40
X-Hot

My Top 3.

1. Bridgestone J40
2 See Aboive
3. See #1 and #2

Really been wanting to try some Bridgestone clubs. May use this as a perfect opportunity.

Also looking and my desired club is the Adams Super S or LS but they haven't arrived yet in the UK.

However I gave hit

TaylorMade stage 2
Callaway x-hot pro
Nike covert
Ping Anser

Of the 4 I didn't like the Ping, felt heavy and was the shortest. Before going I wasn't at all keen on the Covert but was impressed, straight and easy to hit.

Thought the TM was long but for me I was struggling to control it with a number going right, longer shaft the issue I think.

Absolutely loved the x-hot pro, very long and straight. Hoping to hit the Adams soon ish.

Good luck on your choices

BAH! Use a 2 iron :chicken:

Nah, just kidding. But if you want a good hybrid, maybe try and RBZ Stage 2 and open the face. It's a hot club, and i could take some of that hook out. I have the same hooking problem you do, so I just use a 2 iron :). Much prefer it.

BAH! Use a 2 iron :chicken:

Nah, just kidding. But if you want a good hybrid, maybe try and RBZ Stage 2 and open the face. It's a hot club, and i could take some of that hook out. I have the same hooking problem you do, so I just use a 2 iron :). Much prefer it.

Actually tried this weekend. Very unsuccessful. Haha

Really been wanting to try some Bridgestone clubs. May use this as a perfect opportunity.

definitely worth a shot, the ball just launches off the face!

I have hit the hybrid you have and thought it was great, nice stock shaft, I'm a hooker and I can hook any hybrid in the world, so my suggestion is to learn WHY you hook the adams hybrid, because 99 percent chance you will hook the next one

Back