A day in the sand. All day long?

rollin

"Just playin golf pally"
Reaction score
Handicap
Ever have them? to such a degree?

I was in 11 (that's right 11) greenside bunkers today. And it really stunk because I been for some reason struggling with greenside bunkers this year. Anyway point being it was one of those days that no matter what I did with my approach shots I ended up in a darn greenside bunker. Whether it went directly in or took a bad bounce and went in or even hit the green and bounced in I was in them for more than half the round like some sort of magnet. Its just so strange there are days when you cant find one and then days when all you do is find them but this was the most I think I ever was in in one round.

Combined with poor driving today (which is something I been really good with lately) they both just killed me today and I shot a 103. In one sense it was good in a weird way because it meant my iron shots were not too errant and fairly close the greens but it was ridiculous and got to be annoying and almost unfair lol.

It was hard to follow ball flight today because they sky just had that color that made the balls disappear in the sky but my bunker ladings got so predictable by my group that almost anytime we lost sight of my ball flight it was inevitable the ball would be in a bunker. It was like "hey just check the bunker" and bam! there it would be. It got to be almost comical. Although I laughed too :) it was also annoying and disheartening after a while :( with so very many.

Ever have a nothing but sand day to this degree? Has to be a most ever for me.

Occasionally. Getting to the right part of the fairway is a big chunk of it. Angle of attack into a green so you don't have to carry a bunker. When I can't get that, and I'm not hitting to distances very precisely, I can hit a fair number of bunkers.

It's a part of the game that makes a well-rounded player. Not to say you can't be successful by just avoiding them, but simple avoidance isn't really that good when you end up in them despite your best efforts. I've gotten better at them, simply because I've gotten better at hitting my irons close to greens. I consider that an improvement.

I have spent my fair share of days at the beach, so I know how you feel. Was it 11 green side bunkers? Or 11 bunkers including fairway bunkers. As a poor to mediocre ball striker I find myself in a lot of fairway bunkers and a ton of green side bunkers. I had a stretch last summer where 11 bunkers would have been a good day. My friends used two joke that I was going in there to build sand castles. So yes I have certainly had a day like you had.

I'm sure I will be at Purgatory as part of the Indy event.

Occasionally. Getting to the right part of the fairway is a big chunk of it. Angle of attack into a green so you don't have to carry a bunker. When I can't get that, and I'm not hitting to distances very precisely, I can hit a fair number of bunkers.

For the highlighted. Yes I agree and i did mention that my driver (actually my tee game in general) was not good yesterday. This certainly did lead to longer approach shots and also taking them from less than favorable conditions and positions. Not to mention it was windy as heck too just to further add to it all. I did not put myself in what I like to call "position A" or even close enough too it enough times at all. Definately can place blame there.

I have spent my fair share of days at the beach, so I know how you feel. Was it 11 green side bunkers? Or 11 bunkers including fairway bunkers. As a poor to mediocre ball striker I find myself in a lot of fairway bunkers and a ton of green side bunkers. I had a stretch last summer where 11 bunkers would have been a good day. My friends used two joke that I was going in there to build sand castles. So yes I have certainly had a day like you had.

Nope, all greenside. And that is strange because as said I didnt have a good tee day and generally speaking that would mean a bunch of fairway bunkers but never found one. I wish it were because although i been strugling with grenside bunkers this year I have on the other hand hit really well out of fairway bunkers for some reason. So i would have been glad to trade a bunch of them lol

I hope not but at least it will be nice.

I hate days in the bunker especially when you feel like you're hitting good shots and the majority get bad bounces or are off just a smidge lol. There's a course in Myrtle that has a ton of bunkers, I think it's a Fazio course and every time I go there it's like I never hit a fairway, it drives me crazy!!

Tomorrow is another day, I have had days like that and probably everyone here has to some degree. One of my friends this weekend was in exactly the same situation, he was in a bunker or two every hole to the point it became a running joke. I was in the same rut a few weeks ago and it recurred so often that I started each round by warming up in the practice bunker. The practice helped, I was in two bunkers the last time out on Sunday and made one birdie and had another really good shot that didn't go in but left a short putt for par.

Maybe you can work on technique so that being in the bunker is nothing to dread.

Tomorrow is another day, I have had days like that and probably everyone here has to some degree. One of my friends this weekend was in exactly the same situation, he was in a bunker or two every hole to the point it became a running joke. I was in the same rut a few weeks ago and it recurred so often that I started each round by warming up in the practice bunker. The practice helped, I was in two bunkers the last time out on Sunday and made one birdie and had another really good shot that didn't go in but left a short putt for par.

Maybe you can work on technique so that being in the bunker is nothing to dread.

Yes I know. I just dont know what has happened to my greenside bunker outs. I never use to fear them and always managed ok getting out. Even if not a good shot I'd still be out. Something happened to me with this last year and still now continues this year. I been through alot with swing changes via lessons and it (although for the better overall) has done something to my bunker play. I been meaning to practice at the range last few times but they havnt yet opened up the bunker area. But anyway I just been in that many in one round ever that i can recall. It did become the jokes of the day.

I hate days in the bunker especially when you feel like you're hitting good shots and the majority get bad bounces or are off just a smidge lol. There's a course in Myrtle that has a ton of bunkers, I think it's a Fazio course and every time I go there it's like I never hit a fairway, it drives me crazy!!

maybe and you too (and believe me i really did think of this as the round moved along) that I should start aiming at the darn things just so i wouldnt end up in them. LOL

It will pass, my problem was that I wasn't turning, just hitting with arms.

I'm going in with a game plan there. It will get tossed out the window as soon as that game plan takes a bad turn...probably the 2nd or 3rd hole.

I've played True Blue once. I hit every waste bunker, and half the greenside ones, on the course. It was a horrible, horrible day. Even on seemingly good shots, I'd roll two feet too far and end up in a waste bunker. That place owes me a replay and I will hurt it!

Back