Family Golf Course

blugold

Autobots, ROLL OUT!
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Recently, my home course, Royal St Patricks Golf Links in Wrightstown, WI put in a "Family Course". They cut 7 holes into their driving range. Complete with tee boxes, mowed fairways, rough, bunkers, and greens. The course provides the kids with rental clubs. Pink for the girls and blue for the boys. The course also provides almostGolf golf balls. They are rubber and will not do any real harm to the kiddos if struck. They charge $35 for unlimited golf, no matter the size of the family. That $35 also provides pizza and soda for after the round. It is an absolute blast.

A few pictures of my daughter and me when we visited the family course.

11063853_968804753171319_9220880228965887868_n.jpg

10325195_10101144764295566_2620764334345914125_n.jpg

549414_10101144764170816_924664642971626266_n.jpg

11390525_10101144764150856_440596794194047061_n.jpg

11391130_10101144764120916_1148558381515633722_n.jpg

I just wanted to share this for a few reasons. First, it was one of the best times I have ever had on a golf course. I will be visiting it again on Father's Day and hope to play more than that. Second, I am proud that I frequent a facility that actively works to grow the game and brings the joys of golf to families and kids.

Thats awesome. Looks like its in good shape. There have been places similar around here over the years but were so unkept and in terrible condition. I love the idea.

a good idea. Help grow the game, get kids involved early.

Looks like you've been teaching your daughter the SPI method a little differently than normal :D

That's awesome Blu! I'm sure it was a blast for her and you as a parent. I haven't seen this before but certainly think it's a fantastic idea

Thats awesome. Looks like its in good shape. There have been places similar around here over the years but were so unkept and in terrible condition. I love the idea.

That was from May. But they treat the family course like the golf course. It is the driving range for 6-1/2 days a week. But it is a golf course from 2:00pm to sundown on Sundays.

Looks like you've been teaching your daughter the SPI method a little differently than normal :D

Yeah, she wanted to putt that way. She kept calling it the "treasure finder" because it looked like a metal detector. She wanted me to keep getting balls onto the green so she could putt. At one point, she looked at me and said, "Daddy, there's a lot of walking in golf." I was over the moon.

That's super cool buddy!

They just did the same thing at a course in town, 6 holes made on the driving range but it is all weekend. They also use the 15" cups as well, and I think it is $6 for adults and $3 for kids.

I'd love doing this w/ my niece and nephew. Looks like a great time, and that one course has probably got more people to pick up the game than anything hackgolf ever came up with.

That's real cool and I'm pretty jealous.

I love that.

That's a really smart idea by the course. One of the benefits of the little town muni course I play on is that I can take my kid out there whenever I want, because no one is every playing golf in the evenings. Also, is your daughter trying to putt left handed with a right handed putter?

~Rock

That's a really smart idea by the course. One of the benefits of the little town muni course I play on is that I can take my kid out there whenever I want, because no one is every playing golf in the evenings. Also, is your daughter trying to putt left handed with a right handed putter?

~Rock

This family course is great because the longest hole is about 100 yards. Everything is short. Pretty easy for little legs to get around.

Yeah she is putting left handed. She was happy, I wasn't going to correct her.

This is a very awesome idea.

This family course is great because the longest hole is about 100 yards. Everything is short. Pretty easy for little legs to get around.

Yeah she is putting left handed. She was happy, I wasn't going to correct her.

Smart man.

~Rock

Very cool!

I took my 7 year old niece to one of our local courses that plays a par 31 (4 par 4's, 5 par 3's) with the longer hole being 310. I'd let her hit off the tee box on the par 4's and then drive her about 75 yards out to hit onto the green and then let her putt. It was a blast! we got to talk about fixing ball marks on the green, repairing divots, pace of play, and why pink balls are much better than white balls :D. After the round her 3 favorite things were putting, driving the golf cart on 1 hole (thats plenty open!) and the greatest invention ever - the green pods on poles that make your golf balls clean (yes the ball washers).

That is very awesome that your daughter wants to play golf with you, these are the great moments in life!

That's awesome, Joe. My track went family last year by placing tee markers within 100-150 yards of the hole. On those tee markers are guides on which to play from if your kiddo hits it X distance. Its really great to see courses make an effort to get more kids involved.

Good stuff BG! More course's should do this. My home course is very family friendly. I'm happy to be behind a family out playing with small kids. It is how I started and I don't mind waiting a little on them.

That looks good and looks like she had fun

Jen has already asked me when I will be taking the grandson to get clubs.....he is 2 years old!

I love that some courses do things like this. Great way to get kids golfing. Rivercut does something similar here and it's awesome. A completely free four hole golf course adjacent to the range. The holes max out at about 75 yards and the tees and greens are turf but it's still a great way for little ones, the very elderly, and disabled people to enjoy golf. They just opened their new 'clubhouse' (complete with free clubs for kids without any). How kid friendly is this design?
BettyAllisonClubWEB.jpg

Pretty awesome and cheap enough to keep the kids coming back. Very impressive!

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

What a cool idea...that would be a blast

Everytime this thread gets bumped, I'm just going to smile. Seeing it makes me happy

Back