perhaps minor but how would you manage this hole

drive for the 220 with a little tail fade, to squeeze a little more on the right. anything less than 100 yds to the green will be okay with me.

3H along the yellow line, wedge into the green and 2 putt for par. It's really a simple game.

Sent from my Verizon iPhone using Tapatalk

yellow shot, I would like the full 54* wedge from 90-100 rather than 50-60 yard shot

Hit is really hard and try to take on the green. When that fails and my ball goes in the trees maybe try it again but more then likely lay up. Im not playing for a score 99% of the time or even keeping one. So i try all the Bubba shots I can.

Can you actually see the green from the tee or do you have to use something like the cart path as your guide for the line if you are going for the green? If I was playing the course for the first time and I couldn't see the green then there is no way I would be attempting to go for it

How tall are the trees near to the green? Is it possible to clear them?
If the trees are tall enough to possibly interfere with a shot that doesn't have enough height at the tail-end of the shot then, again, I would not be attempting to go for the green

For me, I would probably not even bother attempting to get a few yards closer from the tee and just play to the corner. Depending on the weather conditions I would be hitting (here in the UK for that distance) either my 4i or 5W for the 220 yard shot off the tee and then play my approach from there

Why go over the trees when it's only a short iron to the green lots of risk and no payoff...I'd put it in the fairway..

Why go over the trees when it's only a short iron to the green lots of risk and no payoff...I'd put it in the fairway..
How do you figure there is no pay off? Drive the green and put at eagle. If you can carry the trees there is no reason not to go for it.

People approach this game differently than others and the pay can big.

I'd take a long look at it at ground level to get a better perspective of what I'm dealing with. At first blush, my line would be just left of cart path with driver. If that doesn't work, I'll pull another ball and try to fade my 3 wood around the corner.

In response to the OP, it looks like the green could be reachable. If so, I'm going for it. I would rather take on the risk with the potential for an easy birdie or eagle.

How do you figure there is no pay off? Drive the green and put at eagle. If you can carry the trees there is no reason not to go for it.

People approach this game differently than others and the pay can big.

You're 100% correct. Stats show that PGA tour players who go for the green on short par 4's score better than those who lay up.

2 Deep right of the red line drawing back all day long.

I'd be going for the 220 shot then wedge in
i totally agree, i can hit a SW about 90 and be quite accurate with it so the gain on the 240 shot woudn't be worth it for me

this is what I mentioned as part of the reason for my post. Its sort of mind-boggling to me, the amount of people that try to place the ball about 35 yrds closer and end up losing a stroke or two because of it . They increase their risk for only very littlest reward and fail more often than not when they would really have so much more success more often by just playing to the corner.

There is no way I'd try to go over the trees. First, not with the bullets I hit. And two, my ball is on its way down by the time it would reach the trees. 100-125 yds is almost a guaranteed GIR.

I think it's the novice golfer syndrome. We have a similar hole on my home course: 282 with a sharp dogleg right. Hit it too far and you're in the trees. But you can hit a driver and if you're lucky you can get through the tall trees without the lower branches and hit the green. People will try this shot. Still hit it too far on the fairway and it brings some hanging branches on the left approach into play. I hit a 5 iron + wedge of some sort.

Can you actually see the green from the tee or do you have to use something like the cart path as your guide for the line if you are going for the green? If I was playing the course for the first time and I couldn't see the green then there is no way I would be attempting to go for it

How tall are the trees near to the green? Is it possible to clear them?
If the trees are tall enough to possibly interfere with a shot that doesn't have enough height at the tail-end of the shot then, again, I would not be attempting to go for the green

For me, I would probably not even bother attempting to get a few yards closer from the tee and just play to the corner. Depending on the weather conditions I would be hitting (here in the UK for that distance) either my 4i or 5W for the 220 yard shot off the tee and then play my approach from there

fwiw, I never really gave thought to going for this green and havnt been with anyone who has. But to be fair its not one of my locals that I play regularly so its possible I just by coincidence havnt been with many who have tried. Its why I only bright up the options of going straight to 220ish or trying to cut the corner or fade it for an extra 30 or 40yrds. Most people fail more often than not simply trying to gain the extra 35yrds and with that in mind I would imagine that even more would fail at going for the green. I would have to look at it better next time there to see how visible the green is but I know its not very visible for certain. Those trees are pretty tall and one is not getting to the green with a boring trajectory but I would gather high trajectory would also better suit a softer landing that holds the green anyway. It seems for a long hitter a 3w would be the best attempt.

you know I must mention something.
I am a little surprised by the amount of people looking to attack the green. I understand when one is good enough to pull that shot off or at least be close enough (and not in trouble) more often than not. But one of things I have learned most since becoming a member of this THP community is to play smart, or manage to strengths, or just in general to make good decisions instead of poor ones. That is probably the biggest thing (golf game wise) that I have taken from THP as for understanding how to score better more often, how to play better and more consistent golf. One of the things that really helps one become a better player. I understand the players near scratch and/or single digits possibly pulling this off. But also, are not many players at that level in the first place in part because they don't often take such shots? I can understand in a competition being down a stroke or two with a couple holes left so there is then not really much choice but to go in that case, but just in general for one to play a casual round and want to score well and be a more consistent player? I don't know, its just kind of contradicting generally speaking for one to sort of collectively gather things (via conversations and debates from a community) over periods of time and participation one way and yet find many actually go about it another way. Just strange is all

you know I must mention something.
I am a little surprised by the amount of people looking to attack the green. I understand when one is good enough to pull that shot off or at least be close enough (and not in trouble) more often than not. But one of things I have learned most since becoming a member of this THP community is to play smart, or manage to strengths, or just in general to make good decisions instead of poor ones. That is probably the biggest thing (golf game wise) that I have taken from THP as for understanding how to score better more often, how to play better and more consistent golf. One of the things that really helps one become a better player. I understand the players near scratch and/or single digits possibly pulling this off. But also, are not many players at that level in the first place in part because they don't often take such shots? I can understand in a competition being down a stroke or two with a couple holes left so there is then not really much choice but to go in that case, but just in general for one to play a casual round and want to score well and be a more consistent player? I don't know, its just kind of contradicting generally speaking for one to sort of collectively gather things (via conversations and debates from a community) over periods of time and participation one way and yet find many actually go about it another way. Just strange is all

Everybody approaches golf differently though. Everybody has times when they play it safe and times when they risk it. Just because it's smarter to lay up and play it safe, doesn't mean that everybody has to do that.

Everybody approaches golf differently though. Everybody has times when they play it safe and times when they risk it. Just because it's smarter to lay up and play it safe, doesn't mean that everybody has to do that.

I would never imply everyone do that. do whatever one wishes and makes them happy I am all for that :)
But with that said and when it comes to the majority of players out at the public courses on a weekly basis far too many of them are not only unhappy when they fail at such a shot but also become upset or even angry about it. Heck, in the case of the hole being discussed here I see so many get upset for missing even the red shot because they hurt thier score trying for a tiny bit extra not even to mention going for the green.

Its just that one of things I feel is often mentioned on THP collectively through the years and can be learned here has been about "making good decisions" and yet a lot of the posts in this thread seem to suggest the opposite here. However to be fair to all of you, I do understand that many of you do possess this green shot and may indeed succeed at it more than fail. In that case "for some of you" its not really contradicting after all. It simply depends on how often one would score better vs the other way. Play the hole 75 times over and if it helps more than hurts to go for the green than I guess for that person it is actually the smarter play. But I think for most people they would score better much more often by playing the hole within its layout as its not really a hard hole to very often par with a good look at bird often enough. At least for one whi is a decnt ball striker and not errant. And no I do not always par this hole lol.

What you are missing is that many make bad decision even though they know they shouldn't. But there is also something to swinging free and tempting the golf gods with a pure strike.

Both of the other shots might serve to make people more frustrated. If they fail at laying up, they will tell themselvesthey should have gone for it. Knowing your strength and style of play will serve each golfer well. It is when golfer try to impress or play like anyone but themselves, that they get into trouble.
I would never imply everyone do that. do whatever one wishes and makes them happy I am all for that :)
But with that said and when it comes to the majority of players out at the public courses on a weekly basis far too many of them are not only unhappy when they fail at such a shot but also become upset or even angry about it. Heck, in the case of the hole being discussed here I see so many get upset for missing even the red shot because they hurt thier score trying for a tiny bit extra not even to mention going for the green.

Its just that one of things I feel is often mentioned on THP collectively through the years and can be learned here has been about "making good decisions" and yet a lot of the posts in this thread seem to suggest the opposite here. However to be fair to all of you, I do understand that many of you do possess this green shot and may indeed succeed at it more than fail. In that case "for some of you" its not really contradicting after all. It simply depends on how often one would score better vs the other way. Play the hole 75 times over and if it helps more than hurts to go for the green than I guess for that person it is actually the smarter play. But I think for most people they would score better much more often by playing the hole within its layout as its not really a hard hole to very often par with a good look at bird often enough. At least for one whi is a decnt ball striker and not errant. And no I do not always par this hole lol.

What you are missing is that many make bad decision even though they know they shouldn't. But there is also something to swinging free and tempting the golf gods with a pure strike.

Both of the other shots might serve to make people more frustrated. If they fail at laying up, they will tell themselvesthey should have gone for it. Knowing your strength and style of play will serve each golfer well. It is when golfer try to impress or play like anyone but themselves, that they get into trouble.

But sometimes we will miss with our approach shots anyway and at least have a shot at an up and down. Trees are trouble.

This is the sort of hole that gets me in trouble when I play it wrong.

In the past: I would hit driver, and hit it poorly, and either be in the trap at the corner, or the trees. Have to take medicine and waste a stroke to be able to make my next shot.

Now?: Either 4/5 iron or 5 wood (dependent on where the wind is coming from) and end up well left of where the sand trap is. Slightly longer approach, but I would far rather take a chance with 120 yds in to a green, than having to navigate through the trees.

But sometimes we will miss with our approach shots anyway and at least have a shot at an up and down. Trees are trouble.
Trees are trouble if you can't pull off the shot and if you don't have confidence.

Since its a hard dogleg shooting 200 isn't going to add a full 20 yards vs hitting 220. Personally I would rather go for my 4iron which I hit around 200 yards leaving approx 105 which for me is my 50° and I feel very comfortable with that shot.

I understand your good post.
Tempting the gods with a pure and successful (and lets fact it, more difficult) strike is always something to feel great about. But only so long as one doesn't then cry the blues about their scoring afterwards when they only make it 1 in 15 times and as they fail at that more often than not while they keep repeating that failure. However if they live very well with failing more often than not at those attempts than so be it, have at it all day. Or in "some cases as I have said, some of you do indeed certainly posses this shot and therefore its simply then not as risky for those of you.

But you also do say it serves one well to know your strengths , and that conversely also means understanding your weaknesses. And that whole thing is sort of what I been mentioning to be something I have learned from our community here.

Ball 1 would be a power slice to the green, then the mulligan would be the 220 shot.

For me there is no choice, going for the green is the right play. I play a fairly aggressive game and am comfortable with that. The reward of making eagle and birdie out weighs the risk of making bogey or worse. If I make bogey or worse I am not going to second guess the decision. Once the shot is over you can't change the result. All you can do is have a short memory and focus on the shot at hand.

If you want to play your best you need to play your game. On of the first lessons I learned when playing tournaments was to play my normal game. When I tried to play conservative I got myself in more trouble. It all comes down confidence. What ever shot gives you the most confidence is the one you should hit.

Back