Volvik White Color S3/S4

c0ncept

SFT
Reaction score
Handicap
Life
I recently saw a sleeve of these in someone in the golf industries bag and was shocked since I only know them for those crystal golf balls. I looked up the 2014 ball tests and found this:

http://www.volvik.com/news-press/pr...-first-ever-hybrid-white-color-golf-ball.html

eqsl32-hot-list-ball-spin-rate-chart.jpg

They seem to be low spin off driver but high spin with wedges? Has anyone played these? I am going to try to find some tonight.

Yeah they make quite a few different models.
I have played a few over the last few months. They feel decent. Struggled a bit with the durability a bit.

Worth trying? I figured the durability wouldn't be too great.

Tap Tap Taparoo

Look at the Project (a) up in the right hand corner surrounded by the more expensive balls.

Said it maybe a dozen times in the last few months and that charts illustrates perfectly (if you actually count gridlines). That biggest group has about 360rpms difference in wedge spin between them. In other words, they are basically all the same.

Said it maybe a dozen times in the last few months and that charts illustrates perfectly (if you actually count gridlines). That biggest group has about 360rpms difference in wedge spin between them. In other words, they are basically all the same.

But, but, but, Titleist says that isn't true!

All that chart says to me is that the Z-Star XV and the Project 'a' are the best ball value on the market.

Interesting stuff for sure!

All that chart says to me is that the Z-Star XV and the Project 'a' are the best ball value on the market.

Interesting stuff for sure!

two balls that spun too much with the driver for me.

Tap Tap Taparoo

Look at the Project (a) up in the right hand corner surrounded by the more expensive balls.

I'm more intrigued by the Ineedaball in that grouping.

We reviewed that one. Tungsten core I believe.

We reviewed that one. Tungsten core I believe.

Nah, that was the OnCore EVO, the Ineedtheball ones were actually really solid. Played one I still had yesterday actually.

Nah, that was the OnCore EVO, the Ineedtheball ones were actually really solid. Played one I still had yesterday actually.

Crap, I'm losing my mind. Yes that was the tungsten one, I was thinking the metal core one. Oof.

Honest question. The chart reflects results with a robot. Do the balls have variations which would make them perform differently for different swings. I'm trying to understand the gap between that chart and the common feedback we get from people that ball A spins like crazy and ball B (from that same cluster) doesn't spin.

Using only this chart, the Rife ball seems like a good value.

Anyone have a key for balls 35 through 42? In particular the five (in blue) that show up on the chart?

Honest question. The chart reflects results with a robot. Do the balls have variations which would make them perform differently for different swings. I'm trying to understand the gap between that chart and the common feedback we get from people that ball A spins like crazy and ball B (from that same cluster) doesn't spin.

No. My theory is coincidence or wishful thinking or marketing.

I'm trying to understand the gap between that chart and the common feedback we get from people that ball A spins like crazy and ball B (from that same cluster) doesn't spin.
When I compared the Project (a) and the e5 I did notice that the e5 released and rolled a bit further than the Project (a). Looks like there is about 600 rpm difference between the two (greater in the Project (a)). Not sure if I really was able to pick up the difference in my short time testing it ... or maybe I just got lucky.

The question for me now is ... is that 600 rpm worth the extra $5 (and the distance lost on my drives)?

I think that quite often with golf balls us internet golfers see what we want to see, or see what we are told we should see.

Blind ball testing is always fun, and using it I've somehow convinced my dad that all balls are the same haha. When he can't read the name on the side he get's the same results and the same feel but tell him it's a Titleist and all of a sudden it spins to high heaven.

Bumping an old thread!
Based on some recent data that I have seen, I think I am going to pick up some Previous Gen S4 (2018) and bag them again.
I've some of my Straightest and Longest drives with this ball. Think the lower launch that this ball produces helps that.
It has great greenside spin, confirmed last year by @Jman "Fun with Chips" thread.

Besides, love the Green Color!

Back