Titleist Introduces Tour-Proven 712U Forged Utility Iron

I'll have a few pics and more thoughts with a full review tonight...but color me impressed.

Looking forward to it PD.

I'll have a few pics and more thoughts with a full review tonight...but color me impressed.

I'm interested in reading your review.

I had the chance to hit the 4 Utility Iron last weekend during a huge demo day. I found it fairly easy to hit off both the tee and the mat. Understanding that some here were worried about the clubs forgiveness, and solely for testing purposes, (ya, right) I hit some less then perfect shots. A dull sound, lower ball flight and reduced distance were the only result. Not even a slight tingle in the hands, my current 4h would have reminded me not to do that again.

While talking to the Titleist rep I told him that there were concerns about the forgiveness and that some people felt their hands tingle just looking at pictures of the club. The Rep acknowledged hearing similar concerns then pulled a 4i from the bag and placed it next to the 4 utility (they are almost identical) and said if you can hit our 4i you can hit the utility, just farther.

A little backstory first. I went to a Titleist demo day about a week ago with the idea of hitting 712 CB/MB's because I have never hit them and I'm at a point where I only want to hit irons outside off grass. I have no interest in hitting in doors anymore. I was also hoping that this club, the 712U, would be there as well. I figured it was an outside chance that it would be there being this was a non-retail, custom order club only. I got there and start conversing with the rep, he set me with a MB 6iron with a C-taper to hit and let me go, we started to talk shop and I asked about the 712U and he chuckled. Said he had it, but didn't bring it with him and that he has been told to be selective about who hits it from people up the chain. I asked him about another demo day that I knew was coming up and ask he if would be at that one and who bring it. Said yes and he had no issue with me hitting it. Most of the review will focus around the 3-Iron as this is the one I'm most interested in putting in my bag. So flash forward to yesterday....

I arrive and walk right to the Titleist booth and Austin (the rep) was there with a hand shake and already built MB 6iron with a C-taper for me to hit again and then comes over and set a club against the bag stand next me and its a 712U 3-iron. I said thanks and he said that he got lefty versions the day before and hit it and wanted my opinion before he gave me his. After some warm up I set about some testing. I'll break this down in to categories based on my thoughts. Most of the review will focus around the 3-Iron as this is the one I'm most interested in putting in my bag. So enough about the story lets get to the club....

Looks:
Its so pretty. I felt bad getting it dirty. It looks like an extension of the MB line which is what they are trying to do. It looks like someone put a little shot Botox in side it and it bulged the back just enough. Looking down at it though you can't see much of the back at all. Not much offset to them at all, really carries the theme over from the CB/MB series. Nice narrow sole that you would expect from a more player style CB/MB iron. Even with the little bit of extra bulge to the back its still a very appealing sole and top line combo. The top line is still pretty thin and carries over the same theme from the MB of the semi-gloss brushed silver finish with the matte center hitting zone that carried up on to the top line.

Performance:
Surprising! I found the 3-iron fairly easy to hit. Yes if you got it a touch thin or little fat it didn't go anywhere but not many players clubs do. I hit a lot of shot with over the course of day and hit at the start and right near the end of the day. But it didn't make my hands hurt, it didn't sting, nothing crazy like that. When caught solid it was a rocket. I was hitting into a about a 10-15 mph wind that was a touch off the left and was carrying the 200 yard marker with not much problem. Its such a great, solid feel when stuck. It basically hit like I would a long iron. Just a small little divot after hitting down and though and the turf interaction with 0* of bounce was great. I didn't feel like I lost any speed though the hitting zone. The 3-iron had DG S400 in it. So it was your normal DG flight, although I will say this was little more boring flight that never really ballooned out but it did seem to fall out at the end of flight. The 2-iron which I found much harder to hit had a X100, and the 4-iron which I hit well had a DG S300 and gave pretty much the normal S300 flight, although it did seem to leave a little lower and more boring. I was able to hit the 3 off a tee a couple of times and it hit just as well and maybe left a touch higher off the tee than it did off the turf.

Feel:
It felt great. When stuck well, there was very little feedback. Just that solid strike that says I was just hit well. When caught thin, it did let you know. It wasn't a hand stinging or finger breaking feedback, but you knew it wasn't hit as well. It didn't feel very head heavy at all, but it just felt like your normal long iron. But it just seemed so easy to hit. If you can hit a Cleveland MT long iron, Adams Pro Black, Adams A12 Pro or just a long iron in general, these could be played with confidence. I was able to work the ball right to left pretty easy as that is my most comfortable way to work it. But most balls was straight on a string. For me I was very confident hitting.

Overall:
IMO, its a great club and would slot perfect in for someone who likes long irons, but wants something that is a little easier to hit or isn't comfortable hitting hybrids. After hitting the 3-iron its really making reconsider my bag setup once I get my new irons and putting the 3-utility in, a 4-Pw and then something like a 53-59* setup in the wedges. Its a strikingly beautiful club. One thing that I feel can't be argued is how good looking the 712 line from Titleist is. As I said earlier I felt bad about getting it dirty its that good looking. I still feel this is easier to hit than people are going to give it credit for and the Rep agreed with me. He said he felt like the 3-Iron was the easiest to hit, and I agree with that. I really feel like if you can hit a long iron, this is hittable and very easy to hit.

Pics:
20130501_153622_zpsef2eb244.jpg

20130501_153631_zps870f6a15.jpg

20130501_153642_zps76ea9773.jpg

20130501_153655_zpsb1ccb040.jpg

Please feel free to fire away questions and I will do my best to answer them based on my time with it yesterday...

Man, it sure is pretty. The sole is actually a hair wider than I expected. Same with the topline really. It does almost remind me of a GI long iron in ways, though obviously not in every aspect. Helpful info there that I'm will be useful to some folks PD. Nice post.

great write up PD, sounds like an interesting club.

I think a lot of people look at blades and consider them to be really hard to hit but I don't feel that that's the case.
Recently my ball striking has been pretty poor catching them all over the place.
I can instantly tell but tbh there isn't really any difference in performance.
Obviously theres a difference but it's really not that bad.
I'd love to get one of these but I'm not sure I'd really use it much.
About to remove my Mizuno Fli-Hi as it is.

Great write up! Now I am ever more interested in trying the 2 iron version of the 712U. A big Demo weekend coming up at the end of the month of May and Titleist is always there. Hopefully they have a left handed version of the 2 iron that I can try.

Looks:
Its so pretty. I felt bad getting it dirty.

Feel:
It didn't feel very head heavy at all, but it just felt like your normal long iron. But it just seemed so easy to hit.

Overall:
IMO, its a great club and would slot perfect in for someone who likes long irons, but wants something that is a little easier to hit or isn't comfortable hitting hybrids.

First off, thank you for the great write-up on a hard to come by club. The three things I pulled out from your write-up above are what really have me intrigued about this club, specifically in the 3i spot; It's gorgeous, I like hitting long irons, and I'm not getting along with my hybrid. Have you hit the Callaway Xutility Prototype, and if so could you compare the two. Thanks!

I have not. There was a Callaway booth at the demo day I was at but they was more interested in pushing drivers and fairways then they was talking about irons and utility irons. In fairness that was pretty much every booth minus the Titleist guy, but we had a bit of history from a past demo day. They did have one that I peaked at while the guy was hunting a X-Forged with a C-Taper for me. That seemed to really annoy him. Front what I seen the X proto looks much longer and more rounded at the back than the 712U. As far as performance goes I don't know yet. I do plan hitting the X-Proto a lot at the THP Outing and Demo Day will come back with more thoughts after that.

First off, thank you for the great write-up on a hard to come by club. The three things I pulled out from your write-up above are what really have me intrigued about this club, specifically in the 3i spot; It's gorgeous, I like hitting long irons, and I'm not getting along with my hybrid. Have you hit the Callaway Xutility Prototype, and if so could you compare the two. Thanks!

I have not. There was a Callaway booth at the demo day I was at but they were more interested in pushing drivers and fairways then they were talking about irons and utility irons. In fairness that was pretty much every booth minus the Titleist guy, but we had a bit of history from a past demo day. They did have one that I peaked at while the guy was hunting a X-Forged with a C-Taper for me. That seemed to really annoy him. Front what I seen the X proto looks much longer and more rounded at the back than the 712U. As far as performance goes I don't know yet. I do plan hitting the X-Proto a lot at the THP Outing and Demo Day will come back with more thoughts after that.

Playdough,
That was another great write-up. I'm glad to hear that the club worked well for you and that you too found that the club's feedback wasn't harsh. I will be looking forward to your post Outing thoughts.

After attending a local 3 day golf demo I have to echo your sentiments regarding all of the booths pushing drivers/hybrids. To be fair that is probably where the bulk of the sales are at these events. That being said, I was still a bit surprised that the Callaway Rep seemed shocked that I would ask to try the X-Proto. He acted like it was still under embargo until I told him that I had read about it on THP, then he said that he could probably order one for me.

I wanted to add the Mizuno MP-H4 3 and 4 iron to the bag but, alas, they don't make them in LH. I'm actually gaming the Cleveland 588-MT 3 and 4 irons after hearing positive reviews from Keegan Bradley and Graeme McDowell. I'm a Mizuno guy through and through but those two irons in my bag are tremendous.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you know if you can order these with Project X 6.5 shafts? I really hate when shafts are different threw the irons.

I believe these will be available with any shaft that Titleist will put in an iron. I know that the rep I was hitting with said they could be a C-Taper in the 3 to match the CB/MB set he recommended for me.

I wanted to add the Mizuno MP-H4 3 and 4 iron to the bag but, alas, they don't make them in LH. I'm actually gaming the Cleveland 588-MT 3 and 4 irons after hearing positive reviews from Keegan Bradley and Graeme McDowell. I'm a Mizuno guy through and through but those two irons in my bag are tremendous.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I agree the MT irons from Cleveland are great iron and close in idea to these. Big difference is the cast head with the forged face where these are 100% forged. Can you go wrong with iron, nope.

I literally hit the 712u 3 iron 20 minutes ago...at a demo in Mason City, Iowa of all places. I'm here for work and stumbled upon the tiny driving range / pro shop while driving around.

Anyway, I asked the rep if he had the 712u yet (thinking he probably wouldn't). To my surprise, he turned around a produced the 2, 3 and 4.

I opted for the 3. Took 5 swings and got 5 beautiful low/mid draws to about 225yds.

I was amazed at how great this club felt. The DG S400 shaft balances the club nicely. It doesn't feel heavy at all.

Don't judge by the pictures folks. The 712u is not difficult to hit at all. I am a double digit handicap and had no trouble getting it to do exactly what I wanted.

Fortunately or unfortunately, I'm going into ponder mode 36 hours after ordering my stage 2 tour TP hybrid. Lol.

I strongly encourage anyone who is unsure if they can handle this club to go take a few swings. I guarantee you will love it.

Got the X100 shaft. Was considering putting an Aerotech shaft in there but I need to try one first.

Have you hit the 712U? What about the Cally Proto?

Good choice Jrod. I really like that club. A lot.

Back