Callaway Apex Pro 16 Irons Review Thread

I really need to hit these and see if they better than the current set of pros I have now.

It's been so long since I've been able to demo anything.

I really need to hit these and see if they better than the current set of pros I have now.

It's been so long since I've been able to demo anything.

Ill have mine at The extra rounds for Gauntlet if you want to give Them a try.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just ordered a set for the Gauntlet.

You know I will! Don't be surprised if I try and smuggle them home either. Haha

I hit the demo of these the other day man they are sharp looking. The feel was great and more forgiving than I thought they'd be for their size. They just scream hit me well.

I was hitting these this past weekend and came away pretty darn impressed.
First, I have always been more of a stain over chrome guy, but these have a look to them that screams versatility and performance.
Second, the size is just about perfect for most golfers (hitting the bell curve). Not too thin to seem tough or unforgiving, not too big to not fit some eyeballs.
Third, they feel fantastic.

First, I have always been more of a stain over chrome guy, but these have a look to them that screams versatility and performance.
Second, the size is just about perfect for most golfers (hitting the bell curve). Not too thin to seem tough or unforgiving, not too big to not fit some eyeballs.

Big or small upgrade from the previous version in your opinion? Or minimal differences

Big or small upgrade from the previous version in your opinion? Or minimal differences

Bigger than small upgrade.
I think the CF 16 is a big upgrade over the Apex.

Slightly larger profile without any sacrifice in playability. More forgiveness low as well.

I was completely turned off when I saw that Chrome finish in pictures, but in person I really liked them. I was so turned off that I would not even consider them, but that all changed after seeing them at Golfsmith. Of course I couldn't hit any since there are no left handed demo clubs available, but I cannot wait to get the new ones I ordered.

I was completely turned off when I saw that Chrome finish in pictures, but in person I really liked them. I was so turned off that I would not even consider them, but that all changed after seeing them at Golfsmith. Of course I couldn't hit any since there are no left handed demo clubs available, but I cannot wait to get the new ones I ordered.

Looking forward to your feedback. I think you are going to like them.

The pro 16 and the previous apex pro are very different clubs IMO. Pro 16 spins much more than what I remember from last pros. In my conversation with doc hoc, he said these are designed after 2013 xforged rather than last apex pro

I agree with all of this. They're almost the perfect iron.

I let a member of our 4 some hit my 6i on the course this past weekend after he miss hit several shots in a row with his Cleveland 588 blades. He's got the game to play the blades, but was having an off day.

Needless to say, he absolutely smashed the CF16. He loved everything about them except that he'd have to rework all of his wedges to accommodate the gap created by the distance gains he got from the CF16s.

Played around with the fitting Cart head and shafts today the project X 6.0 put up darn near perfect numbers. The numbers are just one part though, looks are fantastic feel is great and the ball flight outside was a solid piercing flight that held its line and never left the target.

I'm not sure I will find a better combo, so these are top of the list right now.

I am really starting to groove on these irons. So much so I am torn between my Apex 4H and adding the 4 iron back into the bag.

I hit a 5-iron into the wind today that would have made a Golf Channel highlight real.

I am really starting to groove on these irons. So much so I am torn between my Apex 4H and adding the 4 iron back into the bag.

I hit a 5-iron into the wind today that would have made a Golf Channel highlight real.
Hybrid.

If you saw the 5 iron you would at least think about it.
Its a 4 iron we are talking about though. Don't be an Internet golfer. You know how good, and more forgiving, the Apex hybos are.

Fup I looked for a lot of reasons to have the 4i in the bag. I was absolutely anti hybrid before my fitting. Now the Apex hybrid to me wasn't any better than the 4i (probably worse performance wise) but the XR 4h was light years ahead of not only the CF 16 4i, the Apex Hybrid but also the Apex UT 21*.

Every time I look at all the callaway in my bag I can't help but think of these irons.

I played my best golf with the original Apex Pros with KBS Tours. Changed because of some pretty serious elbow issues (needed to go to lighter shafts--good excuse to buy more clubs :).
I was hitting the demo Apex Pro 16 7 iron with the XP 105 shaft yesterday and really liked it. Never hit this shaft before but I was pleasantly surprised. Liked it better than any of the other light weight steel I have tried. High flight, but carried well and was smooth.
I found the head to be equally forgiving as the originals. Definitely more forgiving than my CBs. Not quite as long as the original Pros (maybe 1/2 club shorter), but I attribute that to the lofts being 1 degree weaker. Beautiful at set up and felt great. Different feel than the originals but not better or worse. To me the originals feel more 'dense' and powerful at impact, if that makes sense. I like the clean look of the chrome. My originals are pretty beat up. I might consider buying a set of these with the lofts bent to match the 14s to bring the flight down a touch and equal the distance I was getting with the 14s. I'd love to demo these with the Recoil 110s.

Not sure you are planning on signing up for a THP Event, but you cna test a set out with Recoils if you are.
Or of course the monthly UST Shaft Spectacular and get a set of your own (completely free).

For those that have these, what were your irons before these? I have a set on the way, hoping they are not too much club coming from j15 dpc. I like the kbs tour but I am looking forward to going back to project x.

For those that have these, what were your irons before these? I have a set on the way, hoping they are not too much club coming from j15 dpc. I like the kbs tour but I am looking forward to going back to project x.

I switched from the XR Pros with KBS Tour-V

Ordered a set today.
Went with 5-A with KBS Tour-V 110 Stiff (soft stepped 1x). 5-9 irons one degree strong to bring the flight down a touch and match the lofts of my original Apex Pros (which I still have; they have KBS Tour 120g in them, soft stepped 1x).
I have a non-pro model (original) Apex 4 iron I am going to use with the set (ordered a 3 iron Tour-V shaft for it).

The shaft optimizer recommended KBS Tour, DG S300 and PX 5.5. After hitting the 7 iron on many occasions with a bunch of different shafts I narrowed it down to 3 shafts (Tour-V 110, PX 5.5, and XP 105) and wanted to get on the scope and confirm my thoughts before pulling the trigger. I wanted to go a bit lighter than the 120g Tours and threw the XP105 in because I have demoed it a few times and liked it (it also would be best for my sore elbows).

I spent some time with a fitter on the Flight Scope. Numbers were quite similar for all 3 shafts (SS around 85, launch around 20 degrees, spin around 5900, carry around 160). I hit a few longer balls with the XP 105 (up to 168) but my dispersion was all over the place with it, as was the consistency of my strike. Ball flight was a touch lower with the PX 5.5 but overall numbers were close. Feel wise I am used to KBS and for me they just feel way better than the PX shafts.

I really enjoyed my time with the Steelfibers (former set still in Sig below) and they definitely provided some much needed relief for my elbows. I may go down that road again in the future. But the weight reduction from 120g to 95g, plus the loss of some swingweight was just too much for me and my accuracy really suffered. Going back to steel brings a level of comfort for me.

Can't wait for the new sticks to arrive. I'll post some pics when they do :)

Last edited:
Back