Craziest/Weirdest/Coolest Tournament/Outing You've Played In Outside of THP

dhartmann34

Reaction score
Handicap
At my home course, every October, they used to put on a tournament called Sandy's Revenge. Sandy was/is the greens-keeper. They would have strange tee and pin placements. There were some fairways that had an insane amount of marshmallows in the fairway landing areas which made finding your ball oh so much fun. They had props on the greens like coffins, gourds, spider webs, etc. It was the most frustrating, but interesting round of golf you would play each year. The winners would always get a gift certificate of some sort. The nice thing is that there weren't set tee times. If you played that day at whatever time, you were entered. I think the lowest I ever shot was around 85. It was tough.

Have you played in any crazy tournaments like this? Or maybe you've played in an awesome outing with special perks? Let us hear the stories!

Ryan (Neb) can attest to this one, the reverse stag we played last year where we played the course in reverse, was quite odd!

Ryan (Neb) can attest to this one, the reverse stag we played last year where we played the course in reverse, was quite odd!
Possibly the worst golfing experience of my life, and made me wonder what I'd done to make Kyle hate me so much. (I kid of course, but only a little)

Coming in over trees on darn near every hole made things interesting for sure.

I always wanted to play in that event when I worked out there, haha.

My course does what's called the Toughman Scramble, and it's where they have the tees all the way back, and the put the pins on the side of hills, and then speed the greens up. I played in it last year as a guest, and it was crazy hard and frustrating, but fun as well. The winning score was 2 under par for a 4 man scramble.

Cross country events are fun. Start on one corner of the golf course and play to the other in the fewest amount of strokes

Craziest: There was a scramble once and there was a cart with two ladies in the group behind us. They started drinking during the rules announcement and were lit up by the 4th hole. They caught us on several tee boxes and they were just on the edge of being completely out of control. There were short skirts, some salty language, and plenty of shenanigans going on in that group. I think that team posted like a 84...in a scramble.

Coolest: The three club challenge. Try it sometime!

Craziest/Weirdest/Coolest Tournament/Outing You've Played In Outside of THP

Every year I play In a Ryder Cup style event. It's 12 man teams on each side and it's 36 holes in one day, each broken down by nines, (alt shot, scramble, best ball and match)

It's been a blast for 6 years now and the last two years I've gotten Jank to join. It's a fun time.

Mine would be a shotgun junior tournament where the Marshalls were pushing us the whole 18 to play faster. As we were not playing slow,apparently they wanted us all off the course ASAP

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

At my home course, every October, they used to put on a tournament called Sandy's Revenge. Sandy was/is the greens-keeper. They would have strange tee and pin placements. There were some fairways that had an insane amount of marshmallows in the fairway landing areas which made finding your ball oh so much fun. They had props on the greens like coffins, gourds, spider webs, etc. It was the most frustrating, but interesting round of golf you would play each year. The winners would always get a gift certificate of some sort. The nice thing is that there weren't set tee times. If you played that day at whatever time, you were entered. I think the lowest I ever shot was around 85. It was tough.

Have you played in any crazy tournaments like this? Or maybe you've played in an awesome outing with special perks? Let us hear the stories!

We have a very similar tournament called the Greenskeeper's Revenge. They put all sorts of obstacles out on the course, like busted old carts and mowing equipment in front of tees and greens, put tees in the rough on the side of the tee boxes and on two holes, you have to hit whatever club they put on the tee box (usually an old persimmon driver on one hole, and a 1-iron on another). They put 3 pins on some holes so you dont know which one to shoot at and put some pins in runoff areas around the green. We play it as a scramble or best 2 of 4 so when you inevitably get screwed on one hole, you arent out of the tournament. Lots of fun at the end of the season.

I used to do a 3-day, 90 hole event over three courses that some friends put together. It was a Ryder Cup, team style event with around 40 guys. I can remember having as few as 32 and as many as 44. Guys were grouped as A or B players. The A players played their own ball, and the B players played as a shamble within the group. Very relaxed rules such as playing the ball up and everything was a lateral hazard. Everyone paid into a betting pool (with an optional skins game) and each round paid out the top 5 places and DAL. So you were always rooting for your 4-some, even though two of them were on an opposite team for the overall (the individual 18 hole events paid out better anyway). On the individual rounds you were always playing a match against an opponent for the team points, but didn't play with that person until the last round. We used a variety of scoring and the 2nd day, 2nd round scramble was always a great time. After the final round there was a big lunch and we doled out the prize money.

Back