luvagoodshot

Reaction score
Handicap
Yes
Am I the only one, or are there others who do this?

In the past I would by a new club and immediately add it to my bag only to be disappointed in shots I made with the new club. I found that I would under shoot or overshoot too many shots with the new club simply because I didn't take time to test out what distances the new club would give me. These days, whenever I purchase a new club I no longer add it to my bag immediately. Instead I take it to the driving range, pitching and chipping green, or putting green to get to know what I can do with and expect from the club. Only when I feel confident that I pretty much know how it will perform for me in any given situation that I might be presented with during an actual round will I add it to my bag, and then only use it gradually until my confidence in it builds up.

I put my new clubs in the bag right away and use them.

Lol...that's funny I was just thinking about this. Is it me or the club? My first instinct is to blame it on the club and then be on the look out for a new one. I just got a new driver a couple months ago. I've made some good shots with it, but lately....I'm just smashing worm burners consistently with it. I can't be the club it's got to be me, because I have actually made the type of shots with it that I want to. I think your idea is a good one. Keep it on the burner while you practice it, learn it, then break it out with confidence.

If I get something new, I've either already tested it, or go all in on it anyway. I've found I hit most clubs that are similar with fairly typical results.

I usually demo before I buy so it goes straight in the bag. If I do a blind buy it may get one range session npbefore goimg in the bag depending on when it arrives.

If I bought new clubs and set them aside to not game until later Jacqui would kill me.

The clubs I tend to look out for are replacements for a broken club or for replacements for a useless one. I have only added one club to my set and that was my 60 wedge. Other than my drivers or my 1 and 2 iron, I haven't bought any clubs that weren't going into my bag anyways. But I go to the range way more than I play anyways.

I usually make sure I can put a few swings on them before purchase, but they are going straight to the course.

I do that with drivers. This season I bought 3 drivers but they aren't "new" but last years model or the year before. Can't justify spending $400+ on a driver when it will be half price or less next season. The 3 drivers I bought this year equaled what my buddy paid for his M1 this spring.
The last driver I bought was the Bombtech Grenade. The adds kept popping up on my Facebook page and with the deal of 20% off and free shipping I bought one. I love this club. I think my driver search is over.

As as far as other clubs I bought the club making tools so with irons I can tweet them to my swing. Hybrids and fairway woods I buy used. Then I don't feel bad when they sit in the corner after I take them out of the bag due to them be bad.

Absolutely go to the range first ..

It's been 3 years since I've made a serious golf club purchase that I haven't tried previously.

So when I buy it, it means I've tried it, and it goes straight to the bag, sometimes even straight to the tournament.

What if we said, "Yes"?

I do that with drivers. This season I bought 3 drivers but they aren't "new" but last years model or the year before. Can't justify spending $400+ on a driver when it will be half price or less next season. The 3 drivers I bought this year equaled what my buddy paid for his M1 this spring.
The last driver I bought was the Bombtech Grenade. The adds kept popping up on my Facebook page and with the deal of 20% off and free shipping I bought one. I love this club. I think my driver search is over.

As as far as other clubs I bought the club making tools so with irons I can tweet them to my swing. Hybrids and fairway woods I buy used. Then I don't feel bad when they sit in the corner after I take them out of the bag due to them be bad.

You can't justify spending that amount of money on one club, yet you bought 3 and still paid the same amount?

I put new clubs straight in the bag. I never really know what I'm going to do with them until I'm on the course, as my range results and course results are quite different. I'm the weirdo that actually hits the ball better on the course than in the range. I just can't make myself focus on the range.

If I bought new clubs and set them aside to not game until later Jacqui would kill me.

My wife would be the same way. You bought it, you use it. But to be fair I do the same thing to her if she buys something and doesn't use it.:eyepoke:

Into the bag and onto the course immediately. Likely would not do that if I were playing in a tournament but I absolutely do it for casual rounds.

I will definitely spend some time with it on the range just to get a feel for it, but it's usually straight into the bag pretty quickly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I usually do a range session with the club, after the purchase, before it goes in the bag. I understand the performance issues, if there are any, are more likely me than the club!!

My wife would be the same way. You bought it, you use it. But to be fair I do the same thing to her if she buys something and doesn't use it.:eyepoke:

Just found your avatar interesting, especially since you live in SW Ohio

What loft and flex did you choose?

If I buy a club, it goes directly into the bag. The one exception may be with putters. I'll take a new putter to the putting green before the round, and if I don't feel that I'm rolling the ball nicely, I'll switch to my older putter until I get acclimated to the newer one.

I put it in the bag and play it. May be a few rounds with it to get distances figured, but I bought it to play it

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Friend got new clubs as a gift on his retirement. For 4-1/2 years he used his older clubs because he was "Comfortable" with them. This year we played a round and the agreement was he would use his "new" hybrids and driver and I would tee off with clubs I would not normally use...3s off the tee instead of a driver, maybe a 6i for example.

Before he started using them I was consistently 40-120 yards longer off the tee. He is within 10 yards of me with the new clubs.

Anecdotal evidence, but fear of the new clubs kept him from playing them for years. He has the occasional mishit but no more than with the old ones, he is now loner and more accurate...why get a new club if you are not going to take the trouble to get to using it?

I don't buy clubs unless I know which club in my bag they are replacing, and I only replace clubs if they are a clear upgrade. So if I buy a club, it's getting put in the bag right away.

I put the new clubs straight in the bag. I'll go the club a little bit earlier to get a feel for the clubs on the range, but there's no delay in putting them into play.

Back