Ebay issues, right or wrong

bigtazz53

@bigtazzGOLF
Reaction score
Handicap
13.3 GHIN
Hey guys, had a issue with a sell on Ebay and I'm curious if I was right or wrong in how I handled it.
The picture is a time line of the back n forth.
What say you?

4erysynu.jpg

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk

Think it all depends how you had it listed. Was the length clearly stated?

Yeah I think you handled it well. I don't think the buyer's rejection is reasonable or valid, but might as well refund his money and avoid the time and effort with the dispute.

Yeah can you show us your advert. I would assume if I was buying a driver it was have a driver shaft in it. If it didn't I would hope it was very clearly marked.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

It's his own fault for not asking what the length was. You can protect yourself next time by listing the shaft length in the description

It's his own fault for not asking what the length was. You can protect yourself next time by listing the shaft length in the description

Very true, I'll know next time

It's definitely an issue of the description and the expectations of a buyer. Describing the shaft as being a driver shaft, used in a driver, does set-up some expectations (for me, a finished playing length, including the head, would be somewhere between 44.5 and 45.5). However, with the shaft length variations, due to the adjustable driver adapters, that kind of assumption can be problematic. I definitely would have contacted a seller, first, to clarify length.

I think the buyer could have (and, IMO, should have) asked for clarification on the length prior to purchase. A couple of emails prior to a sale can sure save a lot of time/grief for a buyer (and in this case, for you as the seller).

You can put a putter shaft in a driver if you want. But if you pull it out and sell it, list it as a putter shaft. In your response you said it wasn't a driver shaft. So what was it originally?

You can put a putter shaft in a driver if you want. But if you pull it out and sell it, list it as a putter shaft. In your response you said it wasn't a driver shaft. So what was it originally?

Only used it with r1 and jetspeed driver heads. Didn't know the TM tip also fit fairway woods.
Won it on twitter from true temper. Came to me just plan shaft no tip or grip.

I think there's a little bit of fault on both sides. He for sure could have asked about length before bidding. You also could have easily listed the length, especially if it does play at only 43".

I think there's a little bit of fault on both sides. He for sure could have asked about length before bidding. You also could have easily listed the length, especially if it does play at only 43".

43 1/2 lol but I'll know next time.

So does this mean girls do think size matters????

So does this mean girls do think size matters????

Boats an oceans....lol

IMO, you handled it properly. You were nicer than I would have been, I would have told the dude he was wrong, sorry about his luck and that, as a, "professional clubuilder", he should know that it isnt a fairway shaft.
Sounds to me its more a case of the guy probably tried out the club, didnt like it and made up an excuse to return it. Sadly, people think that they can buy a club, try it out and then return it if they dont like it.

IMO, you handled it properly. You were nicer than I would have been, I would have told the dude he was wrong, sorry about his luck and that, as a, "professional clubuilder", he should know that it isnt a fairway shaft.
Sounds to me its more a case of the guy probably tried out the club, didnt like it and made up an excuse to return it. Sadly, people think that they can buy a club, try it out and then return it if they dont like it.

This was my first thought, too.

Any true "professional club builder" would have known to ask for an exact length before buying. I would've never refunded any money and just dealt with the dispute.

You did good. But then again, I would never buy a shaft without knowing it's length.

He's a fool for wanting a certain length and not asking for it. How and what you used it for was in the description without being misleading.

I'm impressed you're going to refund at all.

I tend to agree with you here. I dont get into this stuff normally, and this guy sounds a bit off (not the OP, but the buyer). But we are talking about a shaft that is substantially shorter than standard length.

I agree that someone should have asked, but if something says "driver" (without any detail of shorter), you would think that this would mean something around or near standard length. This is a full 2 inches shorter (and in some cases more).

Only used it with r1 and jetspeed driver heads. Didn't know the TM tip also fit fairway woods.
Won it on twitter from true temper. Came to me just plan shaft no tip or grip.

You said you won it on Twitter, did the contest specifically say it was a driver shaft? And are you sure you didn't just play a fairway shaft in your driver all this time? Unrelated topics I know, but just because you used it as a driver shaft doesn't mean it is a true driver shaft.

I agree with others that the length should of been listed. And as a "Professional club builder" the buyer should of asked beforehand as well.

As far as the return process, I think you handled it just fine.

I would give a refund and move on. I can fully see where his disappointment is and think any time a shaft is listed it should have the length. If it doesn't the buyer needs to take some responsibility and find out exactly what they are buying.

Buyer beware. The specifics are on him. However, as a seller I make it common practice to explicitly describe all products. For shafts, I always list a grip to tip measurement.

But I did find your offer to be odd. Buyer pays return shipping and then once you have the product back, you'll refund only 50%?

I know it wasn't your intention, but just by a similar offer being made to me, I'd be thinking scam all the way.

Back