Bridgestone E6 vs B330 RX - my mini head to head

JoeyJoeJo

Reaction score
Background - Been playing the E6 for some time but like to dabble with alternatives (E6 vs Srixon AD333) and inspired by an idea from Mav281 on here, I picked up some B330 lake balls and have been trying them out.
The B330 got me a lifetime best 82 on friday so with some space on the course today. I was able to play both balls for 14 holes.

Conditions -
Overcast early morning; moist ground; wind 12-15, gusting 25-30; about 10*C/50*F

Tester - Handicap would be IRO 22-24, played OK, been working on irons, round was driver free due to "issues" :D so all tee references are 3w.

E6B330RX
Tee - Feel*********I like the E6 off the face but the RX felt much more
"reactive" if that makes sense.
Tee - Distance

RX had much higher flight (I like this) and as a result
was tending to come up 5yds shorter.
Tee - Lateral****

Only slightest of difference in lateral movement,
well struck shots were both light draw, typical
swing resulted in usual fade, RX would be perhaps
3-5 yds extra width.
Irons - Feel****.5

I have been thinking E6 was perfect but the RX is
just better, soft without being mallowy.
Irons - Flight

As per woods, higher flight with RX resulting in less
roll out.
Irons - Lateral****

No appreciable difference.
Greens - Spin**

Not a spinny day at all but as expected the RX
had more check with the E6 rolling (a lot).
Greens - Putt feel***

I've not settled with E6 in putting and the RX felt
muchmore how I like it.
Greens - Putt roll*****

Both ran true (as much as stroke and greens allowed).

Scoring -
This is very telling....
E6vB330RX.png

(yes, that is a sneaky eagle in there :D )

E6 -
1 birdie, 2 pars, 7 bogey, 3 doubles, 1 treble, 32 putts
RX -
1 eagle, 5 pars, 5 bogey, 3 doubles, 21 putts

Let's just look at that last number again....
ELEVEN putts better over 14 holes. Four singles, no trebles, E6 had two singles, 6 trebles.

Conclusion -
The E6 performed consistently, it usually does, it's been doing it for weeks, I love it. The B330RX was wider, no doubt. The RX sometimes took more shots to get to the greens due to the width. The thing is, when hitting approaches, the RX is so sweet off the irons, it ALWAYS ended up closer to the flag and with my putting, it just worked.
I'm a massive E6 fan and have been promoting to everyone who will listen but I'm now thinking that if I can compensate for the extra width so I'm playing less from the edges, the E6 is going to take a back seat to the RX.

The bottom line - Great feel, closer to the flag and once again, ELEVEN fewer putts... the king is dead, long live the king!

Thanks for the mini head to head. Good read over a cup of coffee.

Thanks for sharing your test results. I received two dozen B330RX at the outing thanks to the genorisity of Bridgestone and THP (one for our victory). I want to do a similar test against what I've been playing, the Precept Lady iQ+. It's been very hard for me to switch balls because I love the soft feeling of the iQ+ so much and almost everything else feels hard when I play it. I think I'll play the Bridgestone exclusively today to see how it goes.

The RX has always been short for me as well. Too short to consider using it. The e6 is my favourite surlyn covered ball.

This is great data. I'm going to try and do a similar comparison once my B330's arrive. By "reactive" off the tee, does the RX feel more solid? My biggest complaint with the e6 is that it feels like I'm hitting a marshmallow with my driver. Curious, what's your swing speed with the driver?

Thanks all, had a lot of fun doing it so glad folks enjoy reading :)

By "reactive" off the tee, does the RX feel more solid?

Wouldn't say solid really. Sorry it's sometimes difficult to articulate accurately, by reactive, I meant that it seems to fire off the face better. An easy square swing and the RX just shot off the face.

I don't have swing speed but I had a TM session and ball speed off the driver was 118-127 if that helps (3w that I used today was 110-120)

Joey, very nice head to head comparison. These are two balls that I've used in the past and liked, but haven't used in 2013. One question, were you using the new 2013 version of the e6?

Joey, very nice head to head comparison. These are two balls that I've used in the past and liked, but haven't used in 2013. One question, were you using the new 2013 version of the e6?

Yup. Not sure on the RX but being a lake ball, not likely. Grey number if that means anything.

Great head to head Joey! I had very similar results comparing the e6 to b330. I just couldn't get the e6 to stop on the greens and it really hurt my scoring. For example if I hit hybrid into a green with the e6 and it landed on the front edge of the green the ball would roll well off of the back of the green, with the b330 the same shot would result in the ball being only about 15-20 feet from where it landed.

Great job comparing the two balls!! I too am in the same boat as I like the e6 but have seen really good results with the 330RX. I still have a few more balls I would like to test this year to hopefully narrow down which is best for me. I was playing the Chrome earlier this year and really like it but I am anxious to see how the Chrome+ does.

Thanks for posting. I have been wanting to compare the two myself and just haven't gotten to do it yet and your comparison really makes me want to give the RX a try even more now.

Nice comparison, I have been playing the RX for a while now and it just works for my game.

I still have a few more balls I would like to test this year to hopefully narrow down which is best for me. I was playing the Chrome earlier this year and really like it but I am anxious to see how the Chrome+ does.

Yes, I've read some great stuff on here so want to try them out too. Got a couple of doz E6 and maybe 6 RXs so might be few weeks before I explore some more...

I've always liked the e6 myself, I think I've only ever had one box of B330 and to be honest I do not remember how they were. The only really downside to the e6 is it doesn't really stop on the green but so be it.

Thanks for posting. I have been wanting to compare the two myself and just haven't gotten to do it yet and your comparison really makes me want to give the RX a try even more now.

Do it, do it, do it!!!

And report back obviously! Real people feedback is my favourite thing about this place

I found a Tour B330RX yesterday so played it for half a dozen holes but did not like the feel off the club compared to the e6, maybe I have become too comfortable with how the e6 plays to give the 330 a fair comparison. Unfortunately I won't be able to do any more comparing as I lost it on the 17th when I managed to slice it into the middle of some trees and never found it

Longest drive ever on hole #1 using the B330RX. Hope to see more of that today! Par on 1st.

I have been playing the E-6 the last couple of rounds and love them. I have played the Q-stars the last few years. I think that the E-6's have more distance. I just wish that I could get them to stop a little better on the greens.

I have been playing the E-6 the last couple of rounds and love them. I just wish that I could get them to stop a little better on the greens.

100% agree, that's why I'm looking at alternatives and the RX really holds up well.

Played both, and to be honest, I don't see a ton if difference performance wise. The big thing I have heard people talk about is more roll out on the greens with the e6. I played the e6 today and was able to stick multiple shots without much roll out. For me, I guess I would play the e6 over the RX if I was looking purely at price point.

I have 2 dozen e6's (old version) sitting at my place that I have yet to try, I can normally make a ball stop on the greens (I can never get it to spin back). So it will be interesting to see if I can get the e6's to stop.

Edit: I also found a few B330RX's, and they were pretty decent. Good all around ball from my experiences with them

Great summary. I've played both balls a lot. One curious thing for me is I found for me the B330-RX has a lower trajectory. I felt like the e6 ballooned a little for me, so I get a good bit more distance on average with the B330-RX on all clubs. They are both long for me though. Add in the better performance greenside and that's why I play the RX.

Last edited:
Well I had a really great ball striking day with the B330RX but a terrible putting day. I had 10/14 fairways (the 4 missed were fine), 8 GIRs, and 37 putts for an 83. My drives were really strong with the B330RX. Not nearly as high as with the Precept and the ball rolled out much better. I was actually shocked at how far some of my drives went. I will have to get used to the distance with the irons. I think they fly a little lower there too and I was long on several holes. Eye opening day with this ball. Really loved it except it was rolling hot with the putter. I think it will be just fine once I get a feel for it and the new putter I am testing.

Well I had a really great ball striking day with the B330RX ... Really loved it .... I think it will be just fine once I get a feel for it and the new putter I am testing.

Glad it went well KellyBo, I would hate to think of you cursing me all the way round the course :D

One curious thing for me is I found for me the B330-RX has a lower trajectory. I felt like the e6 ballooned a little for me, so I get a good bit more distance on average with the B330-RX on all clubs. They are both long for me though. Add in the better performance greenside and that's why I play the RX.

On the height thing - I was hitting 3w off the tee and the RX was definitely higher and dropped steeply so little run out. It was also pretty windy so that could have been another factor.
When my driver and I are talking again it will be interesting to see the behaviour there.

I have 2 dozen e6's (old version) sitting at my place that I have yet to try, I can normally make a ball stop on the greens (I can never get it to spin back). So it will be interesting to see if I can get the e6's to stop.

I was able to stop the E6 when I first tested a while ago but the greens have improved a lot (as as the weather) and I find it quite tough now.

Played both, and to be honest, I don't see a ton if difference performance wise. The big thing I have heard people talk about is more roll out on the greens with the e6. I played the e6 today and was able to stick multiple shots without much roll out. For me, I guess I would play the e6 over the RX if I was looking purely at price point.

That's a really good point, RX are a fair bit more here but the lake balls make them cheaper than new E6s (new E6 about £1.50 each, new RX about £2.50, lake RX about £1).
The way I see it, I spend a LOT on gear, range, lessons, and equipment to improve my scores, if a ball can help for less than the cost of a latte... I'm in and will buy new at some point, but if you're seeing similar performance, absolutely no point and the funds can go elsewhere.

Thanks all for the nice comments :)

Back