Finding a new "baseline"

lilbilly

Reaction score
Handicap
Was thinking about this today and yesterday (because I think about golf WAY too much) and thought I'd put this up for some discussion here.

Over the last few years, I've tinkered with swing ideas and drills and fixes so much, it's changed everything. Everything from grip, stance, ball position, backswing length, downswing initiation, etc...everything.

So here's my thought, I've tinkered and changed so much that I don't even have a "baseline" anymore. I can't say, we'll this isn't working, I need to go back to "x" and rethink what I'm doing. I'm constantly jumping from one idea or fix to another and with so many basic things like set up changes taking place, I don't have a baseline anymore.

Anyone been here before? What did you do to at least get the right starting point?

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

Moved to Golf Forum

What did you do to at least get the right starting point?
Find an instructor and let them establish your "baseline" for you. They will be able to tell you what is working for you, and what needs to be fixed immediately.

Find an instructor and let them establish your "baseline" for you. They will be able to tell you what is working for you, and what needs to be fixed immediately.

I agree. Hook up with a local PGA Professional.

I agree going to see a PGA professional is the best solution. I struggle with over analyzing my swing, and trying to fix it mid round, or change my swing every week. The funny thing about all those changes is that they did little to fix my bad habits, they were just distractions from learning how to manage my game. Something I'm working on now is trying to be more athletic when hitting, chipping, pitching, and putting. I restrict myself to one swing thought, and I try to set up to the ball, look at the target and swing. Similar to the way a basketball player would shoot a jump shot when someone passes them the ball, and they need to shoot quickly. I want my swing to be more instinctual, so I can trust all the time I spend on the range. When I go to the range, I work on that one swing thought, distance control, shot shape, and shot height.
I realize now that I'm not smart enough to fix my swing mid-round, and I'm not knowledgeable enough to fix my swing without a pair of experienced eyes to help me.
Good luck with your game, and keep us updated!

Back