Anyone go from Burner irons to Speedblade?

hometeamdawg

Reaction score
Handicap
I got a ridiculous deal on ebay a few years back on a new set of the original Burner irons with stock stiff graphite shafts. Their playability suits me but I may go back to steel shafts.

I can work the Burners enough (draw/fade) and I'm wondering if the Speedblades are similar in
game improvement and workability.

I'm not a TaylorMade diehard but I don't want to give up any distance if I go to another brand.

I really don't think you'll lose distance. That speed pocket is nice. I have a SpeedBlade 6 iron if you want to give it a shot sometime?

They are great irons and better than what you have in my opinion.

I had the Burner HT (Dick's Sporting Good version) with steel shafts and now have the Speedblades and they are a much better club in my opinion.

I had the Burner HT (Dick's Sporting Good version) with steel shafts and now have the Speedblades and they are a much better club in my opinion.

Exact same here. From burner ht to speedblades with kbs tours and the difference is just ridiculous. Shaft is a much better fit for me but just the speedblades alone are amazing in comparison.

Keep your original burners. I think they're better than the 2.0 as well as the burner plus. If you want to upgrade for cheap yet maintain equal or better quality at a decent price point then give the Adams Speedline Plus irons a fair shake. Similar to the Speedblades in profile with the same steel for half the price. Or I've got a sweet brand new set of TL 1208 irons that were released 2 years ago. Only one round played on them and they feel like butter upon impact.

Keep sales to the proper area of the forum please.
Thank you.

Sorry and will do.:act-up:

To address your question, I've heard many guys talk about the "hot spots" on the faces of the Burner 2.0's. I don't know if this applies to the 1.0's as well, but I find no such hot spots on the Speedblades. There are "dead spots" however, really high on the face and out on the toe. I don't know if these are any worse than other clubs or not, but you'll definitely hear it, see it and feel it when you approach them on the SB's. Compensating for these no man's land spots, the SB's have a superb response low on the face thanks to the speed slot and there is nothing longer or straighter when hit in the sweet spot.

As for workability, I don't find that they are very workable at all (meaning draw and fade on command). I have a very hard time turning them over, for example. They just want to go straight. About once every other round it seems I need to bend a low hooking 7 iron around something and I just can't do it with the SB's so I stopped trying. I take my lumps knowing that they'll make up for their lack of workability by the many straight high and soft shots that they hit most of the time.

If I remember right, didn't they have everybody compare the burners to the SB's at the ultimate club testing for the SpeedBlades?

Back