Golfing in Dublin, Ireland!

Wonton if you want man united tickets when you are over let me know. I can usually get tickets to most games.

Im going up to Old Trafford this weekend myself

That's great to know. Thanks! I'm not quite sure if I'll make it out there but if I do, I'll definitely hit you up.

Well the offers there, I've got a few different contacts so tickets are usually easy to come by

Nice to see a fellow united fan :)

If you can find it read A Course Called Ireland by Tom Coyne. He walked the perimeter of Ireland carrying his clubs and played every seaside course. An incredible book about an incredible journey. He played over 50 courses and describes the experience at each of them.

Last edited:
This book is fantastic even without the trip to Ireland.

I read it before just because it was golf related and he has another book ("Paper Tiger") I enjoyed about going to Florida and trying to make the Tour.

It was helpful in my preparation for planning too.

One other note - many of the courses are private and have days or parts of days that are off limits to visitors (like Sunday, Wed AM, etc). Just something to look at when planning your days of golf.

If you can find it read A Course Called Ireland by Tom Coyne. He walked the perimeter of Ireland carrying his clubs and played every seaside course. An incredible book about an incredible journey. He played over 50 courses and describes the experience at each of them.

This book is fantastic even without the trip to Ireland.

I read it before just because it was golf related and he has another book ("Paper Tiger") I enjoyed about going to Florida and trying to make the Tour.

It was helpful in my preparation for planning too.

One other note - many of the courses are private and have days or parts of days that are off limits to visitors (like Sunday, Wed AM, etc). Just something to look at when planning your days of golf.

That's good to know. I was wondering if there was any restrictions on visitors.

That would be a good read. Thanks!

That's good to know. I was wondering if there was any restrictions on visitors.

They are all open to visitors, which is fantastic, unlike courses here. You will pay a premium, but it is not a regular thing. Just plan out your itinerary in draft before making tee times so you don't get fenced in.

2 and a half months away... IT'S TAKING FOREVER TO GET HERE!

I haven't played in Ireland but I've taken a few trips to play including Dubai this past winter. I was Charged $50 for the "oversized" baggage fee on the way there and they waived it on the way back. I originally looked into fedexing my clubs but it was going to be a lot more expensive. One thing I will recommend is that you buy a quality travel case and if it's a softshell one then to get the arm to protect your clubs. They don't take the same care that you would when loading the luggage. After three trips I have yet to have any clubs break but my bag has twisted and become slightly deformed and will not stand on it's own. I consider that pretty good luck considering my Dad's driver head was snapped off (hence why I recommend the arm!). The airline did cover it but it was a major inconvenience.

I hope your trip goes as well as you plan it! I've taken a few now and every round that I've played on those trips have created some great memories that I won't be forgetting!

I haven't played in Ireland but I've taken a few trips to play including Dubai this past winter. I was Charged $50 for the "oversized" baggage fee on the way there and they waived it on the way back. I originally looked into fedexing my clubs but it was going to be a lot more expensive. One thing I will recommend is that you buy a quality travel case and if it's a softshell one then to get the arm to protect your clubs. They don't take the same care that you would when loading the luggage. After three trips I have yet to have any clubs break but my bag has twisted and become slightly deformed and will not stand on it's own. I consider that pretty good luck considering my Dad's driver head was snapped off (hence why I recommend the arm!). The airline did cover it but it was a major inconvenience.

I hope your trip goes as well as you plan it! I've taken a few now and every round that I've played on those trips have created some great memories that I won't be forgetting!

I appreciate the info. I will most likely get a hardshell case and fly with it. I'm hoping that they won't charge me because I will only have a carry-on and no checked bags.

Don't worry lad it will be here before you know it

Kelly, will you be around that first week of September? Or are you flying out to Florida for the THP event?

Kelly, will you be around that first week of September? Or are you flying out to Florida for the THP event?

I'll be back in Ireland on the 7th of Sep

I'll be back in Ireland on the 7th of Sep

Hmmm... I just might go down to Cork to play some golf. If you're interested, let me know sir!

I appreciate the info. I will most likely get a hardshell case and fly with it. I'm hoping that they won't charge me because I will only have a carry-on and no checked bags.

The travel bags are usually big enough that you can pack in other stuff to keep things from moving around. I think if they charge you or not depends on how the person you're dealing with is... Sure they have a policy but most people I think would waive the fee if you have no checked baggage.

As hardshell cases go, I was told that if you go that route to once again make sure you get a quality one. The cheaper ones tend to have less durable parts like the hinges and have been known to break after the first trip. I don't see getting to the hotel to find out your brand new case has to be replaced a good way to start a memorable trip. Check out SKB, that's who makes my golf travel case along with my guitar travel cases and I've never had a complaint.

Trust me, it seems a long time coming until your only a couple weeks away then you realize how much you still have to do and how little time you have!

P.S. Like everyone else said... Take lots of pics, this trip is something I want to do as well!

Hmmm... I just might go down to Cork to play some golf. If you're interested, let me know sir!

Not a bother lad. I'm playing in a charity event on the Sat but other then that i'm free

You might want to check out Druid's Glen - one of my favourite parkland courses not too far from Dublin. For links golf, don't rule out the Portmarnock Hotel course if the "old" portmarnock course is too expensive. If you really want to torture yourself, The European club would be a good option, although it's probably an hour or so from Dublin.

Sent from my HTC One S using Tapatalk 2

A links course over looking the Dublin bay which will be a great test of any hackers wind game http://www.portmarnock.com/ but be warned Portmarnock isn't cheap.
Kelly

Just to clarify something, the url posted above by kelly is for the "new" Portmarnock club (designed by Bernhard Langer and attached to a hotel), this shouldn't be too expensive and is a great course. The expensive one is the "old" course http://www.portmarnockgolfclub.ie/ which is very expensive and the one alot of vistors want to play (hosted Irish Opens etc.), however, some friends of mine say that the old course is over rated - I haven't played it myself. What's your current plan?

If you have a chance to get to Killarney, play the Killeen course at the Killarney Golf and Fishing club - a handful of Ireland opens have been held there - played there this past October - amazing course.

If you have a chance to get to Killarney, play the Killeen course at the Killarney Golf and Fishing club - a handful of Ireland opens have been held there - played there this past October - amazing course.

If you're going to Killarney you could check out Dooks too!

Sent from my HTC One S using Tapatalk 2

Just to clarify something, the url posted above by kelly is for the "new" Portmarnock club (designed by Bernhard Langer and attached to a hotel), this shouldn't be too expensive and is a great course. The expensive one is the "old" course http://www.portmarnockgolfclub.ie/ which is very expensive and the one alot of vistors want to play (hosted Irish Opens etc.), however, some friends of mine say that the old course is over rated - I haven't played it myself. What's your current plan?

No set plans yet. I did look up Portmarnock Club on Golfnow and it's only around 40-50 Euros compared to the "Old" Course around 130+. I also looked at Druid's Glen. I guess it's not a links course but still a good looking course. A few pro events held there... Right?
I think my plans are, golf near by Dublin the first day or two then get a rental car and go out to see some country side and golf outside of Dublin.
So much too see and so little time!

No set plans yet. I did look up Portmarnock Club on Golfnow and it's only around 40-50 Euros compared to the "Old" Course around 130+. I also looked at Druid's Glen. I guess it's not a links course but still a good looking course. A few pro events held there... Right?
I think my plans are, golf near by Dublin the first day or two then get a rental car and go out to see some country side and golf outside of Dublin.
So much too see and so little time!

No, Druid's Glen isn't links, but it's a beautiful course when in full bloom. Another links close to Portmarnock is The Island, you could possibly do Portmarnock & The Island in one day ... thinking about it Druid's Glen is close to The European Club you could do those two together another day :act-up:
Outside of Dublin, Kerry has some beautiful courses as already mentioned in this thread ... or you could go up North and hit Royal County Down and Portrush and maybe Concra Wood on the way. Non-links options closer to Dublin include: K-Club Palmer course, Carton House (the Monty course is a sort of inland links), Headfort New, Mount Juliet, Kileen Castle ... there's lots of options and some great value too.

Last edited:
The Island is fantastic!

I played the European Club, Portmarnock (Old), and The Island - The Island is the course that I think of when I think of my trip. The Island is the cheapest of those three as well. The European Club was a brute and a drive, so keep that in mind.

I had great weather last June, except for Portmarnock where it rained like crazy. I think it would have been a fun one on a clear day.

No, Druid's Glen isn't links, but it's a beautiful course when in full bloom. Another links close to Portmarnock is The Island, you could possibly do Portmarnock & The Island in one day ... thinking about it Druid's Glen is close to The European Club you could do those two together another day :act-up:
Outside of Dublin, Kerry has some beautiful courses as already mentioned in this thread ... or you could go up North and hit Royal County Down and Portrush and maybe Concra Wood on the way. There's lots of options and some great value too.

Only 5 weeks away!
So I decided to play 2 rounds (so far) at Lahinch GC and Portmarnock (Old Course). Quite pricey for each BUT hey this is only once in a life time opportunity.
If I have enough time, I'm going to try to fit in Druids Glen but we shall see.
I've been practicing my knock down shots even when it's not windy here in So Cal but I'm pretty sure I'll get my butt whooped when I'm out there.

Got all of my rain gear ready to go as well. Bought a Nike Storm Fit jacket for $25 and Nike rain pants for $10. I love eBay!

Only 5 weeks away!
Got all of my rain gear ready to go as well. Bought a Nike Storm Fit jacket for $25 and Nike rain pants for $10. I love eBay!
I can't emphasize this enough: layering is your friend! First layer - moisture wicking, second layer - warmth, 3rd layer - rain shell.

Back