What company has the best stable of players right now?

Remember when people said Titleist was dead when Rory left? That was funny.

I read a lot and never seen that one. On THP or elsewhere? I only remember folks saying it was a mistake for Rory.

Remember when people said Titleist was dead when Rory left? That was funny.

Titleist will never have to worry about it because they'll have cap & ball deals for days. Then add in Scotty Cameron putters and Titleist is pretty dug into many bags of a company that doesn't offer all 14 clubs, like Cobra and, until recently, Bridgestone.

I'm not attacking anyone'e thoughts here. But when people mention that company A has the deepest staff, what are they looking at to come to that conclusion? Number of staffers? Wins? Previous Major winners? Youth?

I'm not sure. I actually thought of this question last night when my daughter woke up and I was trying to get her to go back to bed at 330 am. I was thinking about it as a whole and how I personally felt each OEM's stable compared. My Top two were Callaway and Titleist in some order. TaylorMade was the flashy pick but somewhat lacking in substance. Same with PING. Then everyone else. Not saying I don't support other companies or that they don't make spectacular products, just collectively who was having success on the course as an OEM.

I can assure you it does not hurt them. The average golfer has no idea what they have in their bag outside of what is on their staff bag or clothing. But they cant miss what golf ball is in their bag as its beaten to them repeatedly on every golf show, tournament, etc.

I personally think I could name more players club contracts than the ball contract they have. Most assume the player is gaming the ball of the club manufacturer. You have a good point that advertising plays a huge role, but more people are starting to watch online then ever before.

I read a lot and never seen that one. On THP or elsewhere? I only remember folks saying it was a mistake for Rory.

I do remember the question being raised as to why Titleist doesn't keep guys over the long haul. Or that it is rare. Tiger left. Phil left. Rory left. I think it is an interesting question to ponder.

Anywhere. Dig up the rumor thread that Rory was leaving for Nike and there were quite a few Titleist is dying a slow death comments.

I personally think I could name more players club contracts than the ball contract they have. Most assume the player is gaming the ball of the club manufacturer. You have a good point that advertising plays a huge role, but more people are starting to watch online then ever before.

If this were the case, one company would not own the ball marketshare they do. They do own that marketshare because almost every golfer in the world knows that more pros play titleist than any other ball.

And if they are starting to watch online (which is less than 1%), you will see the leaderboard pegged with the advertisement of every guy using that brand's balls. Nothing wrong with it mind you, but they have a goal and execute that goal.

I think is spread pretty evenly throughout the major OEM's. They all do things well and have identifiable faces behind them. When factoring in the golf ball I think Titleist takes it right now.

Anywhere. Dig up the rumor thread that Rory was leaving for Nike and there were quite a few Titleist is dying a slow death comments.

I saw this as well. The question was raised as to why guys keep leaving. Money or other.

I'm not attacking anyone'e thoughts here. But when people mention that company A has the deepest staff, what are they looking at to come to that conclusion? Number of staffers? Wins? Previous Major winners? Youth?

I picked Callaway based on the mix of veteran and young players. I like how they balanced it out and it seems to be working for them. I will agree Titleist is probably the deepest from a pure numbers perspective, but something about the staff Callaway has put together attracts me more.

If this were the case, one company would not own the ball marketshare they do. They do own that marketshare because almost every golfer in the world knows that more pros play titleist than any other ball.

And if they are starting to watch online (which is less than 1%), you will see the leaderboard pegged with the advertisement of every guy using that brand's balls. Nothing wrong with it mind you, but they have a goal and execute that goal.

I am always intrigued when they don't personally. That sticks out to me. As in, they have a deal with one company, but play another ball. If their equipment company makes balls anyways.

I saw this as well. The question was raised as to why guys keep leaving. Money or other.

From my experience its both. Money will play a huge roll and a company that spends what they do on certain segments, will not also have the ability to shell out major star money.

Then add that there are a lot of golfers that believe in innovation/technology and think it happens fairly quickly.

Then add that many players like the louder marketing because it gives them a personal brand.

Then lastly add that they can double dip as some companies will allow them to still get paid by Titleist for the ball and use clubs elsewhere.

This is just our experiences learned based on a few dozen players however.

Combine that with selling of both Cobra and Footjoy within a three year time span= rumors I guess. I know the reasons were all different, but I agree with you that I remember some chatter.

I don't really recall any HUGE signings by Titleist, other than when Geoff Ogilvy came over from Cobra shortly after winning the U.S. Open. Many of their current staff have been on staff forever it seems.

I am always intrigued when they don't personally. That sticks out to me. As in, they have a deal with one company, but play another ball. If their equipment company makes balls anyways.

Two reasons for this. One. They most likely grew up playing it because of the high school and college sponsorships in place. Changing is tough at the beginning.
They get more money for some companies balls than others.

Are these players who have a club contract other then Titleist who game Titleist balls getting paid to use the ball or is it because they believe it is the best ball?

From my experience its both. Money will play a huge roll and a company that spends what they do on certain segments, will not also have the ability to shell out major star money.

Then add that there are a lot of golfers that believe in innovation/technology and think it happens fairly quickly.

Then add that many players like the louder marketing because it gives them a personal brand.

Then lastly add that they can double dip as some companies will allow them to still get paid by Titleist for the ball and use clubs elsewhere.

This is just our experiences learned based on a few dozen players however.

Totally makes sense my man. I am always fascinated with people's motivations. Whatever they may be.

I don't really recall any HUGE signings by Titleist, other than when Geoff Ogilvy came over from Cobra shortly after winning the U.S. Open. Many of their current staff have been on staff forever it seems.

Which to me is why the Jordan signing was so big.

Are these players who have a club contract other then Titleist who game Titleist balls getting paid to use the ball or is it because they believe it is the best ball?

I dont know a single person playing a Titleist ball not getting paid. Does not mean there are not any, but I have not seen one.

I dont know a single person playing a Titleist ball not getting paid. Does not mean there are not any, but I have not seen one.

Which is why I love your knowledge. We love to toss around the fact that TaylorMade pays through the nose to get drivers in players bags. I know I hadn't heard this till you brought it up. Knowledge is power.

agreed. They have some other good young talent too. Bud Cauley and Patrick Cantlay come to mind.

And Uhlein!!!!! Location: somewhere in Europe.

Which is why I love your knowledge. We love to toss around the fact that TaylorMade pays through the nose to get drivers in players bags. I know I hadn't heard this till you brought it up. Knowledge is power.

And I dont want to single out any brand. They all pay big money. If asked who pays the most for a single item, I would say Titleist for golf balls, but they all pay serious sponsor money. And frankly it works.

And I dont want to single out any brand. They all pay big money. If asked who pays the most for a single item, I would say Titleist for golf balls, but they all pay serious sponsor money. And frankly it works.

Exactly. I know I think about that now when I see that ball. Just like I used to think that way when I saw a TM driver. They all do it. They do it because it works.

Back