When Do You Change Clubs?

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Did a little email survey and the results were interesting, so I want to ask THPers the same question. When do you change clubs?

Before the season starts (early in the year for those with no offseason)
After the season
Anytime something new comes out that you like

Is there a certain time of year that you think you often make changes?

I've always tried to change the bag when I find gear that works better.. until very late in this season I just started to play xstiff shafts in my irons. I've played xstiff in my driver for a while and once I was properly fit for the irons it is so much better.

I would say I make them before the season. Because I know the season is right around the corner- rather then but a new set of irons at the end of the season just to watch them siting in the house or wherever knowing you can't play with them for four months

I've done both with little rhyme or reason. I see something I like and hit well - I get it.

Too much since joining THP :banghead:.

Goal in the future is to lock down on a set fitted for me and play it for 2 years. I need to build consistency and keeping the same clubs in play seems to be the easiest way to start.

There really isn't any rhyme or reason to it for me. It's whenever I find something that works better than what I have, and is a price that I can live with. I don't frequently change, but when I do I deal hunt. I did a lot of that this year as my gear was outdated or worn out previously, so once I found a deal I jumped on it. As a result of this philosophy, I've upgraded every club in my bag since last fall to something that at the time was 1 model year or less old, for around $1000. Retail for all this stuff is probably more like $2500.

For my irons I prefer to change them in the off season or early in the season and have time to work with them. Everything else is as I come across something I like or if I try something that just plain works.

over the winter for sure......more time to think about what you want/ need and the prices drop on clubs from the previous year that they want to get rid of....yea im cheap :act-up:

Whenever I find something that I "must have". I probably switch the most in the May/June time frame. That way I have played a few rounds and have had a chance to think about what I want to improve on with my sticks.

In the offseason, although that can be early (now) or later (March/April) - very difficult for me to incorporate new clubs during the season.

Did a little email survey and the results were interesting, so I want to ask THPers the same question. When do you change clubs?

Before the season starts (early in the year for those with no offseason)
After the season
Anytime something new comes out that you like

Is there a certain time of year that you think you often make changes?

Used to be before the season. Since I've found THP, it's been when something shiny and new comes out!

With golf being year round for me in FL, time of year doesn't impact my equipment changes at all. I am a Titleist homer and they limit their club releases pretty consistently but I could see where some of the other big brands that have multiple releases a year that this would impact equipment changes.

Personally, I upgraded my driver to get more adjustability, will use it at least through next season.
Irons were fitted for me, moved on from fitted Wilson FG Tours that I played 2.5 years.
Putter is where I change the most. Have used 3 different putters this year and just got a new to me SeeMore that I will bag for a while.

I tend to switch clubs prior to the season starts, however I have changed once or twice at the end of the season.

Anytime something new comes out that I like. Happens more often in the Spring here in Virginia during "demo days".

In the offseason
1. Most new equipment comes out between October and February so I can compare the newest lines and last years model.
2. If I like last years model I can get a good deal on them.
3. Buying in the offseason will give me a chance to hit the range with them and start the season comfortable and ready to go.

I gamed the TM R7s for 4 years before tinkering with some custom club making and thinking about making a change. Then the Callaway Apex preview event happened, so it just worked out that the timing was right since I was already looking to move forward to a different/new set. I think with the Apex's, I will certainly game them for a while, although I mayt tinker with swapping out shafts once or twice over the course of my time with them over the next few years.

I pretty much change when I can afford to change. I wish that was more often, but it's a cash flow situation for me, most of the time. If I didn't have that issue, I would probably change clubs more often, probably before the start of the next season. So I guess that would be around March, especially once the newest equipment has come out and I would have had a chance to hit them.

I used to change clubs every two years but lately it's been once a year. For obvious reasons but switches have occurred. I'll be switching here again in the next month.

My last big and permanent bag changes have happened late and early in the season. Our season runs from about mid march to mid November depending out gung-ho you are. My driver change happened in Oct., my 3-wood was in late April, and my iron change came in September of this year. I dont like to make changes to in the middle of the season but at the start or end of the season its pretty much fair game.

Club changes are completely unrealated to the calendar year. It is 100% based on need, opportunity and my tinkering ways.

Just sold my MIURA baby blades. So I'll fit myself into another set of either, KZG tour evolutions, or MIURA 301 and a set of ACCRA shafts. Wedges will be not be a difficult choice. Stay with the Y and the K grind Miura.
Looking forward to it.

Only people that join golf forums change clubs frequently? :clap:

Seriously though I play alone and get paired with random people all the time. Over the last 2 years playing at least 25 different courses I can definitively say that I could count the number of people on my two hands that have club sets that have come out in the last 3-4 years. Most people have old, old clubs in their bag. Some of them never play of course, others play frequently, they just like their old clubs. In fact a friend of mine was a +2 in college and played with Ryan Moore. He still bags the same Ben Hogans he had in college from whenever that was ago (Ryan is what 31, so 10-12 years ago?).

The only exception I see on the course is a lot of new drivers, and I think that's just because most amateurs can't hit drivers and think changing them is the key. Still, guess my point is I think the answer to the OP for the average golfer is rarely ever, if ever at all. Maybe every 10 years? I would be interested to see who he polled in his email survey, were they forum members (enthusiasts) or just a bunch of random golfers?

Oh and I guess my answer is that I bought i20 irons last year and hope to not buy anything again for at least 5 years, maybe more. Definitely none of the reasons listed in the OP thread for changing for me.

Any time I find myself wanting a change, I change. New (or new to me clubs) have a certain appeal to me. It's fun to change and see if you can groove something new.

Also, when my swing changes, I often find myself being inclined to change. I think adjustable club heads can alleviate some of that need for adjustment, but it has certainly helped to add a couple clubs here and there with heads that can be adjusted.

Ha..I look forward to some of the responses from this group :)

For me, it used to be in April of a year I was considering a new set. There is a huge demo day ever April at a local range, that every OEM attends and it's a great opportunity to try the new stuff.

But about 3 years ago, I have shifted to if I see something I like better, regardless of the time of year, I'll buy it. I guess that mirrors a lot of the OEM's that now release a couple times a year as opposed to just once a year.

Usually before the season starts. But it doesn't ever work out that way. Its pretty much random

Back