High MOI putters. Why don't more people use them?

Karl

Reaction score
Handicap
I see a lot of people pushing or pulling puts. I always put the ball right down the line with mine.

Look sound feel. Some of those high moi shapes don't fit some players' eyes.

For some people high MOI putters feel dull, uncontrolled and they respond better to a milled face or other types of offset to get what they need. If one putter face/feel worked perfectly everyone would use it just not the case.

Different strokes for different folks.

Aren't they slightly harder to master the long putts with?

I do know my next putter purchase will most likely be a high m.o.i.

Just keep in mind High Moi no longer means big mallet anymore. Some high moi putters come in a blade looking type package.

That said I always have trouble on longer putts with a high moi putter as a generalization. A few out there have worked for me though.

All the putters work great on the golf shop greens until you buy them :) For the most part I try to stick with whatever works under tournament pressure. Such a mental game, so you have to go with what looks and feels right for you. However, I would say there is a huge benefit beyond the best you can do on your own with using a pro for lessons/fitting and getting the stroke to work with the right putter. SPI instruction is a good example. It is a method of putting that does not just rely on the seemore putter, but focuses on the stroke.

I actually find my high mou putter excellent for distance control and its also very good for just off the green. Brian Harmon just won with one too.

I use one but as of late have found better success with a different putter

High MOI putters may not generate the look people are going for, as well as not offering a feel that matches their shot shape.

Aren't they slightly harder to master the long putts with?

I do know my next putter purchase will most likely be a high m.o.i.

I thought this too but since going to the tank #7 my leaves for lag putting are close to tap in every time. Got under 30 puts for the first time ever.

I thought this too but since going to the tank #7 my leaves for lag putting are close to tap in every time. Got under 30 puts for the first time ever.

Nice! I have found a counterbalancd high moi putter hard to beat.

Add me to the list of people who haven't had problems in terms of high MOI putters and distance control. I've found the Tank to be far and away the best I've ever used. I have some directional control issues with it at times, but chalk that up to the length of the putter.

Aesthetics.

Putters are IMO the most personal club in the bag and aesthetics come in to play more than most. Yes, a higher MOI design will allow for a more consistent distance control/retention on off center putts and also a resistance to twisting on misses. But, it also typically involves a unique look (and in the case of SUPER high MOI designs a VERY different sound) which can turn some off. They really do work, MOI does what it intends, but we are all different in what we want to look down at.

Aesthetics.

Putters are IMO the most personal club in the bag and aesthetics come in to play more than most. Yes, a higher MOI design will allow for a more consistent distance control/retention on off center putts and also a resistance to twisting on misses. But, it also typically involves a unique look (and in the case of SUPER high MOI designs a VERY different sound) which can turn some off. They really do work, MOI does what it intends, but we are all different in what we want to look down at.

To expand on your thoughts. High moi putters challenge everybody who says "doesn't matter what it looks like. It I shave strokes, I'll use it."

Everything in golf as in life is subjective. The best putters I know that I play with use a mix of traditional blades and mallets and the number is pretty even. Either you are a good putter or you are not. Same with most clubs. More Indian than arrow.

They seem to be getting better and better. I'm on my third one. I recommend people try the newer ones out there.

I'm not convinced they offer the benefit that some feel they do. It's a putting stroke. We're talking what should be the easiest chance to hit the center of the face first of all. That makes it less important than the very fast and complex full swing. Either way, I've dropped a bunch of toed putts with a blade putter.

I'm not convinced they offer the benefit that some feel they do. It's a putting stroke. We're talking what should be the easiest chance to hit the center of the face first of all. That makes it less important than the very fast and complex full swing. Either way, I've dropped a bunch of toed putts with a blade putter.

I've always personally found it curious when some talk about misses with their putter and hitting it off the toe or heel accidentally, it makes me wonder what type of stroke they are taking and with what aggression bc as you said, its a putter, the easiest club to strike the middle of in the bag. That said, if you do miss big, the super high MOI mallets I've tried over ye years definitely keep them more on line and with better distance retention compared to the center strikes, the L2 giant that I just reviewed was a big example of this in my testing, it was crazy....but damn it was huge.

High MOI counterbalanced putters FTW!

My distance control and feel with the Daddy Long Legs is much better than with my previous Odyssey White Hot XG Hawk. I can lag puts from 40 feet and know I will be able to tap in. It might be a confidence thing, but I never fear the dreaded 3 putt anymore.

I also like high MOI and counterbalance.

I would love to be able to play my dad's old 8813, but I've tried, and I just can't do it. It looks amazing, I like it, the stroke feels right, but I just don't seem to make many putts.

Counterbalance and high MOI look ugly (I admit it), but I've very confident with it. Made a lot of putts this summer, which is what counts.

Who said different putters for different folks ? As said on the dedicated thread, Tank Cruiser #7 has been in my bag for 2 months now and it's a big mistake. But at least, I gave it a try... ;) When the issue is within your head, no matter how high is the MOI.

In my case, I just lost the pleasure of putting and just putt because I have to. After two months and a lesson, I came to the conclusion I have to get back to my TP Mills traditional shape. My pro said my stroke was good, but I just had to convince myself... That's my personal story, I don't say higher MOI putters are bad, just that they don't fit to anybody. Getting a good putter stroke is imho the most important.

I dont use one because they feel like garbage. Ive tried various high MOI putters are I really wanted to like them because of all that Ive read of how forgiving they are but I cant get the feel for the right speed with them.
Unless Im branding cattle, give me a blade over a high MOI mallet every time.

High MOI counterbalanced putters FTW!

My distance control and feel with the Daddy Long Legs is much better than with my previous Odyssey White Hot XG Hawk. I can lag puts from 40 feet and know I will be able to tap in. It might be a confidence thing, but I never fear the dreaded 3 putt anymore.

This is also my experience.

Back