Discussion with Ping Rep last night who is at Open some last week

Rummpd

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Several statements were interesting from a Ping rep who also did a fitting for me for a potential future change in my set from pretty much all Titleist (695cb irons, D910D3 and mix of older hybrids, Vokeys, and woods):

1) G20 will look a lot like perfom a little hotter than the G15
2) Not to his knowledge coming out with a newer tour model to replace the discounted (currently) i15.
3) He fit me with a i15 and it is a nice driver - is unusual as it has "an onset" face seemingly and sits a little open but draw this on a monitor with spin and distance very similar to my Titleist D910 D3 with t he stiff TEC shaft having comparable flex and torque (mid mid) to a Titleist Diamana Kali. My only issue is the non ability to adjust when I could pick up a spare used club from several manufactures that might give more. But the feel of the i15 is near or as good as a t*t 910.
4) He claimed that worldwide Ping forged and other recent lines now the winningiest blades or near blades but be warned they are expensive and to me the look in the blade like models is still not up to par with Mizuno, Titleist (still the top two IMO), or the tour Callaway or Taylormade. However, the cushin shaft is as light and other great shaft options available. I could not get him to comment one way or another on whether or not Ping planned a new or changed blade at the end of the year as I have heard rumors about.
5) the static vs the live fitting is interesting - way different specs for me as I move down to near standard but start very upright.
6) Finally he said Ping looks with distain at clubs that can be changed like the Titliest or Taylormade and claimed that their fitting and the port in the sole that a miniture camera goes into for quality control purposes is "far superior" - mark me unconvinced about that but I may yet buy a i15 on sale as a spare driver

Back
to the Open later today - what a course and Rory is making me rethink a poss ble change from Titliest [from a loyal customer who belonged to Stricker's course
in Wisonsin (Cherokee) where a ton of players hit my blades type irons well who were all low to mid handicaps.]

Basically, I still love the so much about Titleist equipment it would be hard to change my whole set to Ping, and based on last night's monitor reading with Pings I would probably not pick up much personally and might lose "Workabiliy" and to a lessor degree feel but Ping does make great stuff with great players winning world wide with various models.
l
There is an error in the title he is out there this week as am I!

I can't imagine a rep from any company saying their clubs aren't as good as another OEM. Since the release of the s56 - I believe you are right - they do have the most wins - but I can't imagine a rep stating that even though they lead in wins their clubs aren't as good as other OEM's

Why does it even matter that they have the most "blade or blade-like" wins? If a guy wins with cavity backs that isnt good enough?

Theres a ton of things about this conversation that rubs me the wrong way, and really urks me.

Glad you found the info you were looking for.

I can't imagine a rep from any company saying their clubs aren't as good as another OEM. Since the release of the s56 - I believe you are right - they do have the most wins - but I can't imagine a rep stating that even though they lead in wins their clubs aren't as good as other OEM's

Where did he say that? I read it as the OP saying they are "not up to par" with some others.

Why does it even matter that they have the most "blade or blade-like" wins? If a guy wins with cavity backs that isnt good enough?

Theres a ton of things about this conversation that rubs me the wrong way, and really urks me.

+2. I think it is marketing that leads so many to think you have to have blades or blade-like irons to play well, which of course many of know is a long way from the truth. I've never bought anything based on what happens on any tour, and never will. I only care what the clubs will do for ME.

Where did he say that? I read it as the OP saying they are "not up to par" with some others.
I read it as not up to par = not as good. While I understand mizuno is the forged god standard - I'm still surprised a company rep would say that.

and to me the look in the blade like models is still not up to par with Mizuno, Titleist (still the top two IMO), or the tour Callaway or Taylormade.

Which OP are you guys reading? The rep said nothing of the sort, and it was all based on looks.

I read it as not up to par = not as good. While I understand mizuno is the forged god standard - I'm still surprised a company rep would say that.

No. 6 bothers me a little I guess. While I have yet to feel the need to have adjustable clubs, I feel that it is a great breakthrough over the past few years, that us common everyday players can get this technology if we want it. I think Ping is missing the boat in this area and it has to be hurting driver/woods/hybrid sales. I know I'm in the market for a new hybrid, and I'm looking strongly at an adjustable version.

Yup - my mistake - reading THP on my phone at work. Misread that part

The rep and those that criticize adjustable technology make it sound as if people consistently change the club... I switched the screws in my R11 the day I got it and haven't changed it.

The rep and those that criticize adjustable technology make it sound as if people consistently change the club... I switched the screws in my R11 the day I got it and haven't changed it.

I know this was my thought at one time. I figured guys would just screw themselves up changing things around all the time, but today, I'll give man more credit.

+2. I think it is marketing that leads so many to think you have to have blades or blade-like irons to play well, which of course many of know is a long way from the truth. I've never bought anything based on what happens on any tour, and never will. I only care what the clubs will do for ME.

All the companies throw this line out - TM driver have the most wins... Wilson irons have the most majors Titleist balls have the most wins. All marketing - I was just trying to point out the obvious that they all do it

Forgot to add Nike also makes a very good forged head and blade set as do others of course including customs like Miura.

It was the Ping rep who discounted adjustable clubs as not needed do their fitting which IMO is hogwash when one adjust their swing, set up, or gets stronger etc. all sorts of things can change.

I will say again the i15 is a heck of a driver at least on the monitor - low spin, long carry and a great feel. Might just buy one on sale for a backup.

Not wedded to any club for life and have played well with Calloways, Titleist, Mizuno and Pings but just do not like the current looks.

Last edited:
There is a school of thought that forgiving clubs just do not produce the great shots, as for me I play a small cavity backed and forged but the shaft combo with the head and the ablity to bend forged clubs and the feel is what I like. But honestly I played as well with some Calloway 14 series tour as with anything ever including my life low round of 67 on a decent course. I also had a nice set of Cobra cast irons in the past so I am not wedded to any brand for life and would definetely consider Pings - just still do not like the looks of current models but the I blades of the past and others were surely handsome clubs. I regressed with AP1s and Callways X20s and not going back to anything with an offset or that bigger topline.

If Ping or anyone makes an iron that fits my eye and is not too offset and has a thinner topline (some newer models are flat ugly even in the short irons) I will strongly consider buying it - I fight the hook and draw anything it seems, I would buy it. Some new Mizuno and Cleveland irons have some of this with a little bit more forgiveness but in reality on most courses I am hitting irons from 170 in or if farther out go with a hybrid or accept at 53 being on or near the green with a longer iron or hybrid is fine. With the irons tight gaps in distance, accuracy and flight control is more important than forgiveness IMO at my handicap or those in a similar range. I usually hit 9-12 greens a round in regulation it seems with most brand and most types so it would have to be a great step up to change from Titliest or Mizuno mild cavity backs. I will consider a hybrid so the type of iron is not as important as my own confidence with it. If I changed I wouldl probably go with a pro combo set like that of the Nike's next year , one of several Mizuno's (have to hit them more to decide vs. their older models) and/or spend the bucks and get custom fitted by Titleist for AP2s or 710s - but want to see what others come out with and the Taylormade are also surely an upgrade over their previous "tour" like models.

Last edited:
There is a school of thought that forgiving clubs just do not produce the great shots, as for me I play a small cavity backed and forged but the shaft combo with the head and the ablity to bend forged clubs and the feel is what I like. But honestly I played as well with some Calloway 14 series tour as with anything ever including my life low round of 67 on a decent course. I also had a nice set of Cobra cast irons in the past so I am not wedded to any brand for life and would definetely consider Pings - just still do not like the looks of current models but the I blades of the past and others were surely handsome clubs. I regressed with AP1s and Callways X20s and not going back to anything with an offset or that bigger topline.

If Ping or anyone makes an iron that fits my eye and is not too offset and has a thinner topline (some newer models are flat ugly even in the short irons) I will strongly consider buying it - I fight the hook and draw anything it seems, I would buy it. Some new Mizuno and Cleveland irons have some of this with a little bit more forgiveness but in reality on most courses I am hitting irons from 170 in or if farther out go with a hybrid or accept at 53 being on or near the green with a longer iron or hybrid is fine. With the irons tight gaps in distance, accuracy and flight control is more important than forgiveness IMO at my handicap or those in a similar range. I usually hit 9-12 greens a round in regulation it seems with most brand and most types so it would have to be a great step up to change from Titliest or Mizuno mild cavity backs. I will consider a hybrid so the type of iron is not as important as my own confidence with it. If I changed I wouldl probably go with a pro combo set like that of the Nike's next year , one of several Mizuno's (have to hit them more to decide vs. their older models) and/or spend the bucks and get custom fitted by Titleist for AP2s or 710s - but want to see what others come out with and the Taylormade are also surely an upgrade over their previous "tour" like models.

This school of thought is in-correct. Any clubs in the right hands can produce "great shots". The "looks" of any club is very subjective as we simply don't all like the same thing. Everything is golf is subjective really, and there is no right or wrong answer.

if you run into the ping rep again... find out when those anser wedges are coming out!:banana:

Im with pale rider here. This has to be a local sales rep and not a person at the national level. Of course they have to say something like that...>Because they are NO WHERE near the top in overall wins of any category...So they have to break it down to some minuscule level to say we are in 1st.

Horrible representation of that company in my opinion.

Im with pale rider here. This has to be a local sales rep and not a person at the national level. Of course they have to say something like that...>Because they are NO WHERE near the top in overall wins of any category...So they have to break it down to some minuscule level to say we are in 1st.

Horrible representation of that company in my opinion.

Come on, JB, they are first in more categories than that. They also have the most worldwide wins on any tour among players with a UPS emblem on their polo.

Back