Work Dilemma, need a little advice.

jspangs

Reaction score
Handicap
I want to start by saying thanks for chimming in but I'd prefer if this doesn't turn into a union vs non union argument.

Anyways, last night I got called out to do some work and was told they need some guys and they are going to pay "premium" pay. So I say sure. We meet at 9 pm last night then drive 4 hours to the hotel, getting in at 1:30 am and we have to be back at work @7 am. Now I asked first thing what we were getting paid and no one answered.

Our Union Contract clearly states that when being called out without 8 hours of rest that whole day is to be paid at Double Time. At the end of the day, our GF came and told us we were not getting that.

The difference between the two is roughly $500. And this will be they second time this month they've screwed me out of money. The first time being $300.

So my question for you guys is do you think its worth the time/hassle of filing a grievance for what is owed? I'm only going to be working for this company for another 3 weeks or so and I don't know if worth it.

But I also feel that every time a company gets away with not having to following the contract gets us closer to not having one at all. They only use the parts that are convenient for them.

Sorry for the long post and thanks for reading.

If its clearly stated in your contract then fight for it.

If there's a contract that states something and they are ignoring the contract, I would bring it up regardless of how long you'll be there.

I'd file the grievance, especially if it's clearly stated in the contract.

Absolutely file the grievance. If they didn't want to abide by those terms then they shouldn't have agreed to the contract. You can probably expect not to be included in these calls in the future as punishment for filing the grievance but you are leaving in three weeks anyway. But whatever, what they are doing is wrong.

With what is stated in your contract, I say heck yeah file a grievance. And the fact that you are only with the company another three weeks would further entice me to say file away. $800 is not chump change in my world and I would fight for what is rightly owed to me.

I would absolutely file a grievance.

I know you said you don't want it to go to this but I worked as a laborer for 6 years before realizing the only one who benefits from unions are the stewards.

Good luck with whatever you do sir.

I would file, you are owed that money, and this may save someone else from going through the same in the future.

What's the point of paying all those union dues if they aren't standing up for you? File the grievance and make Fat Tony do something for all that money.

I would absolutely file a grievance.

I know you said you don't want it to go to this but I worked as a laborer for 6 years before realizing the only one who benefits from unions are the stewards.

Good luck with whatever you do sir.
Thanks for the advice and sorry for the bad union experience. I try and never say anything good or bad about unions. I am a lineman in the IBEW that's the only union I've ever been a part of so I don't know anything about any other unions. What I do know is I'd never do MY job outside of the union.

I was a laborer, I would definitely file a grievance, I was lucky in my experience, the company I worked for payed us as the contract stated,

File the grievance for sure especially if you only have three weeks left or so. I mean look at it this way $800 bucks is a new set of clubs they screwed you out of :)

File grievance .. That is what they are there for . United steel workers here , and the grievance helps on so many fronts

My only real hesitation is I asked the President/B.A of the local we worked out of today face to face in front of everyone and he didn't give me an exact answer. Because like every contract they word it so it can be deciphered a hundred ways.

I really appreciate the responses.

Also I just see this as an argument tomorrow for the same thing. We are still driving back and I won't get home til 12 and will be expected to be at work at 7 am tomorrow.

If the contract states it, then file the grievance, especially if only there for another 3 weeks. If they did not want to pay that then it should have never been in the contract.

yeah screw that. Get your money. Very shady of them.

Definitely file the grievance. If it is in your contract, you are entitled to that money.

File the grievance. If you owed them 800 bucks I'm sure they would come after you. It's in your contract and they need to honour that.

Agree in filing the grievance. It is your money. Is there a union rep that you can go through for the grievance?

Break the deal, face the wheel.

Absolutely, without a doubt, no question about it. It's not a union issue, it's a contract issue. The union being necessary to further the grievance is just process. Union aside, a deal's a deal.

i dunno what kind of union you are in but i dunno why you would even ask if you should or not? .... Of course you should. Why else be in a union if you're gonna let your company walk all over you. we file grievances weekly here because my employer violates our contract and state labor laws to save money. doesn't matter if its over 1 cent or anything else that doesn't even involve money if they violate our contract or labor laws we file and as many people as possible file.

Agreed with everyone else man, file away. The contract is there for a reason if they don't follow it file every day and twice on Sundays. I've used my union more times than I can count at my part time job!

i am the secretary of my union, i say file!!!!! the worst thing they can do is deny , they you appeal, if nothing else your putting them on notice that you are aware of what is going on.....good luck!!!!

I go with what your contract says

I've been union and nonunion. Worked as a union millwright for 7 years. You're right, I wouldn't do your job without representation. You have a contract for a reason. You need to get with your rep and file a grievance along with all the other guys on that trip. I guarantee you the company would use the contract against you if they could. Stand on him until you get paid. The utility is making money hand over fist, they can pay you your $800.
Now I manage the maintenance Dept of a power plant and we are nonunion but most of the contractors I work with are union. We have a good working relationship with them.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Back