How wide is your iron stance vs driver.

erock9174

Reaction score
Handicap
I just measured my iron stance which from the middles of my feet is 12" apart. My driver stance is 20". Is this too much of a difference with the driver? should I narrow up my driver stance?

Slightly wider...

I have never actually measured it

Driver is slightly wider than my than long irons / hybrids and the width gets even narrower for my short irons!

If your ball striking is solid it is a non issue.

Sent from my XT1055 using Tapatalk

Mine is slightly wider as well.

It varies with how tall you are, but based on your irons stance I'd say bring it in to no more than 16". If your stance gets too wide it really limits hip rotation and lower body movement... just too restrictive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mine is wider, maybe 4-6 inches though, not sure how much.

I just measured my iron stance which from the middles of my feet is 12" apart. My driver stance is 20". Is this too much of a difference with the driver? should I narrow up my driver stance?

I think it's whatever works for you and your swing. I've always tried to stay within my shoulder frame, and then adjusted to what's comfortable from there.

A little wider than shoulder width for both....

Roughly shoulder width or just outside for irons, and just slightly wider for driver.

Why do people have varying stance for different clubs on full shots?

Why do people have varying stance for different clubs on full shots?

Club length for me. But it's not that much different of a stance in width.

My driver it just a touch wider, though it doesn't have to be. It's just a way for me to have a bit stronger base and allow the coil to be just a touch stronger. I've never measured it, but maybe a half step?

Last edited:
Shoulder to slightly more than shoulder width with all clubs for full shots. I don't see the need to have a wider stance for certain clubs. Change in ball position is all that should be necessary for longer clubs IMO.

Slightly wider than shoulder width. Your base is the foundation to the swing, too narrow and you lose stability. Ball position changes through the bag, stance width does not (except touch wedges).

I've also never measured either ine, but my intention is to have a slightly wider stance with the driver.

For those with a wider driver stance, how consistent are you?

I try to keep mine the same.

I don't the answer. I just go with what feels balanced and athletic, for lack of a better word. If I started thinking about how far my feet were apart, I would probably fall on my face. Never had anyone say anything about my stance width in a lesson, so I assume it's OK.

For those with a wider driver stance, how consistent are you?

60% of the time, it works every time.

Seriously though, I'm inconsistent equally with the same or wider stance when compared to my iron stance.

It varies with how tall you are, but based on your irons stance I'd say bring it in to no more than 16". If your stance gets too wide it really limits hip rotation and lower body movement... just too restrictive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm only 5' 4"

I went over Golfsmith today and with the wider stance (20") my driver swing speed was 86 on avg. with a narrower stAnce (12-13" range) I managed to hit a 90mph avg and dispersion was better too.
I liked what I saw from the narrower stance.

I use have a quite wider stance with my driver. I've recently reduced my stance to just slightly wider than my shoulder width. It is easier to do a proper turn/follow through.

Not much wider with a 3 wood or driver compared to a 5 iron, maybe a couple inches. I'm just shy of 6' tall and the center of my knee caps are between 8 and 11 inches apart at address with all shots unless I've got some goofy uneven lie or a reason to have a wider base like for certain bunker shots. When my knees get farther apart than that my 35 year old habit of sliding instead of turning creeps into my swing.

I'm only 5' 4"

I went over Golfsmith today and with the wider stance (20") my driver swing speed was 86 on avg. with a narrower stAnce (12-13" range) I managed to hit a 90mph avg and dispersion was better too.
I liked what I saw from the narrower stance.

I too am only 5'4"... And 16" is about the widest I would go. I manage to get around 105 swing speed and usually keep it pretty accurate.

Both irons and driver stance are the same - just outside of my shoulder frame.

Back