I agree bg. That or just plain ignorance, in which case a golfer with some experience should share their knowledge of etiquette. Skill can play a part in it, since taking more shots does take longer. However, there are ways to mitigate that easily. Don't reload for example (I'm talking to you, Angry Guys at Poplar Creek).

I agree bg. That or just plain ignorance, in which case a golfer with some experience should share their knowledge of etiquette. Skill can play a part in it, since taking more shots does take longer. However, there are ways to mitigate that easily. Don't reload for example (I'm talking to you, Angry Guys at Poplar Creek).

Skill does play a part. But a small one for me. Look at the tour for example.

What slows down the game are people lasering short pitch shoots *cough*hawk*cough*

I will never ever have an issue with a Ranger on course actually doing his job, however, if he's telling me to speed up play despite me being within the noted expectations of the golf course, he'll know about it. If they continue to harass, I'd ask for the general manager and explain the same thing to them.

I think four hours is perfectly reasonable for golf.

3:45 vs. 4:45-5:00 on an average weekend around here. Part of it is the frustration of watching people doing stupid/unecessary things that causes them to be slow. Some avid golfers will just stay home or hit balls instead of risking a 5 hour round. If that wasn't the case, the USGA wouldn't be concerned about it.

It's the same reason my wife and I both passed on promotions at work - we didn't want to deal with sitting in San Francisco traffic. Slow golf is like 4 cars blocking all lanes of traffic driving 40 in a 65 zone, with nobody in front of them. Put another way, if my average round so far in my life took 4:45 rather than 3:30, I would have played about 1,000 fewer rounds of golf. I'm glad I got the extra 1000 rounds in!

i undesrtand what your saying and like i said, i dont wish long rounds on anybody myself included but I must ask you. Firstly I dont know if 1000 rounds is even close to accurate but if thats what it truely is then let me ask. How many times could you have played 9 or even 12 or 15 holes and been done in your 3:45 or even much less than that. If pace was longer and you wanted the equivalent of the extra 1000 (so to speak) rounds you probably could have played even more holes than that in total by simply playing 9 and/or less than full rounds. I know it may not be quite the same but your saying the extra hour and a half would have killed you, yet if you really wanted it that bad it would be so easy to just play 9 and golf so much more times and save even more than the extra hour and half. Just my thoughts on that.

I will never ever have an issue with a Ranger on course actually doing his job, however, if he's telling me to speed up play despite me being within the noted expectations of the golf course, he'll know about it. If they continue to harass, I'd ask for the general manager and explain the same thing to them.

I think four hours is perfectly reasonable for golf.

Are those metric hours?

Our league night sometimes takes almost three hours to play nine holes, with a shotgun start. There are some very slow teams that just don't care.

Our league night sometimes takes almost three hours to play nine holes, with a shotgun start. There are some very slow teams that just don't care.

That's the way my matches in high school went. A 9 hole match with 4 groups of 4 would often take 3-4 hours.

That's crazy. I would lose my mind if it took that long for nine holes.

That's poor etiquette

That's the way my matches in high school went. A 9 hole match with 4 groups of 4 would often take 3-4 hours.

The beauty of high school golf--missing a whole day of school to play golf.

Coaches should be fired for that. What a joke.

That's pretty common. Lots of guys at my home course avoid league because it takes 3+ to play nine. Something about it being casual + booze + competition all rolled in.

The beauty of high school golf--missing a whole day of school to play golf.

Except we didn't miss school. Lol.

Coaches should be fired for that. What a joke.

I don't ever recall anyone complaining. I know I had fun. I got to hang out on a golf course with my best friend for a few hours, so I chose to spend my time enjoying myself rather than stressing over how long it took.

Unbelievable. I don't understand what you can do for that much time. Was it an unusual form of golf where every player players 4 balls each?

Cool. You also were part of some of the worst possible etiquette imaginable. At least you had fun!

I don't ever recall anyone complaining. I know I had fun. I got to hang out on a golf course with my best friend for a few hours, so I chose to spend my time enjoying myself rather than stressing over how long it took.

This was typically during the evenings right? Not so bad when it's not in the middle of a weekend with the heat pumping down.

Cool. You also were part of some of the worst possible etiquette imaginable. At least you had fun!

I don't get what the big deal is. It's not like we were holding anybody up.

This was typically during the evenings right? Not so bad when it's not in the middle of a weekend with the heat pumping down.

Our matches usually started at 1-2 in the afternoon.

This thread is making me all self conscious.

Except we didn't miss school. Lol.

If we played an away match, all we had to do was check in at school and then we left. Home matches we would leave before lunch. So awesome.

I dont agree with one not being allowed to play. First off most people shoot in the 100's especially on weekends and there are sure to be 8's and 9's and even 10's. The key is for that person to work harder than others at keeping up. That may mean not looking long or even not at all for lost balls. Getting to your ball quickly, short if any pre shot routine, poicking up ocassionaly, etc, etc.. I can go on and on. Its not easy but one can still maintain decent enough pace. Just simply must make sacrifices , work harder and make great effort but thats the price to pay for not being decent enough at golf.

However, with that said i dont think its fair at all to tell one not to be on the course. You may want to tell that person what to do in order to help keep up but thats al. And if that person requires the extra 15 or 20 minutes what makes anyone else so righteous. They should not cause a 5 hour round and must do what is necessary in order to not cause such a round but if they take 4:20 or even 4:30 vs 4 I dont think that they are so 100% in the wrong.

One can practice and take lessons and become a decent striker but we all know too well when out on the course things are very different and hardly ever goes as well. They do have a right to learn the game and experience the game and play the game. There are also plenty beginers who cant afford lessons but can afford to ocassioanly pay to golf a round. They shouldnt be dictated to and be forced to save up money for a lesson instead of playing. Sure, they should at least be able to strike balls before being on the course but that doesnt always translate well on the course vs the range. Heck, even plenty of us who play for years and have had lessons can still go out and hack it up all day.

No one magically becomes good at golf. This idea that people shouldnt be allowed to play is rediculous. There is a feeling of entitlement here and that is not correct either. Everyone has to start somewhere somehow.
You should have read my post. I said if people make 8,9 and 10s and hold up play....I have not issue with high scores as long as the pace of play is kept. Everyone deserves to enjoy the day and anything over 430 is getting extreme. If the course is wall to wall that is something else. But with the amount of course in any giving city this should not be an issue.

Back