2013 Mid-Season report card

Smallville

#ICanHitADraw
Reaction score
Handicap
In Flux
I achieved a lot of my goals this year. What do I want to do next year?

• Break 80 a few times. I did it one time this year (in July) and want to see it at least a handful of times in 2013.
  • Get my handicap down to 14.0 or less. I got it down to 16.0 in July but couldn't keep it there.
  • Have zero three-digit rounds. I had a couple this year, as I seem to every year.
  • Play more. I played a LOT in 2012, so it will be tough to match, but as long as I play at every opportunity, that will suffice.
  • Have more rounds in the 80s than I do in the 90s.

That's a good start.
  • I haven't broke 80 yet, but I will. I have shot 40 on the front and 39 on the back, so it's doable from the blues this year.
  • It was down to 12.9, but that was only counting two rounds. So I can't count that. It's at 14.8 now counting four rounds. Have a few more rounds to get in before I can make the call on this one.
  • Haven't shot over 99 yet. Worst in 11 rounds is 95. Playing a really tough course I've never played before on Monday, so if I do it, it will be there.
  • Haven't played a lot. Been focusing more on work.
  • I have five rounds in the 80s and six in the 90s. But my last five have all been in the 80s.

My season really didn't get started until the middle of June, Only played a handful of times before then.

UGGH....I just looked at my post in the other thread and since I haven't accomplished a single goal, I refuse to quote it....LOL

I said I want to get to single digits....I got to as low as 10.7...but have leveled out in the 12's....still alot of season left to go.

I said I wanted to drop 50-60 pounds before the Morgan Cup.....well.....I lost 25 lbs and leveled out there....FAIL!

Finally to win the Morgan Cup.....that will happen in 2 weeks!

My year long goal for 2013 is to get below a 6 handicap. I want to improve my iron game and hit more greens, but dont have a specific average I am looking at for a goal at this time.

Biggest goal for the year? Win the Morgan Cup. I've been more motivated than ever the past few months to get my game in top shape, and I am excited about continuing the work to get it where it needs to be.

I have accomplished the first part of my goals. I am below a 6 and my long iron game has improved.

I have a shot at my second goal in 2 weeks.

This is what I posted:
My goal is to get to a single digit index.
Report: not even close. I've lowered my cap @2 points but that's it.

As of February I started working toward a goal of shooting in the 70's. Even though I didn't post it here that became my true goal for the year. I met this goal last month.

Last edited:
1. Win Morgan Cup
2. Attend at least 2 Invitationals
3. Get index down to an 8, Im currently an 11 but is more like a 14 when playing away from the home course
4. Improve ball striking consistency, especially off the tee
5. Somehow, someway get some sort of an inkling of a short game
6. Signup with Golftec for series of lessons.
7. Have fun!

Well number 1 will be in 2 weeks. Number 2 is done. Number 3 isn't close. Not there yet with number 4. 5 is somewhat there but still work to be done. Didnt sign up wirh golftec but have had a series of lessons. And im always doing number 7

I want to:

1-eliminate blow up rounds of 90+
2-shoot consistent 80's
3-break 80
4-get an eagle
5-improve from the tee box (the key to meeting my other goals)

I have played 30 rounds so far this year and I am so far very happy with my game and how far it's come.

1-I have shot 5 rounds out of 30 this year over 90 with my worst being a 97. I am trending in the right direction but not quite there yet.
2-I would say I have accomplished this. When I leave the house to golf I expect to shoot 80-something, which was never the case last season.
3-YES! Shot a 79 on April 13th
4-Still no eagle this year, but I have lipped out probably a dozen eagle putts so It'll happen eventually.
5-When my driver is on it is very good, which is about 70% of the time. Still some work to do.

Become a more consistent ball striker.

Develop confidence in scoring clubs

Flat stick wizard!

Dang I had to dig for this. I wish I had more quantifiable goals. Guess that's a goal for next year.

Ball striking is better. My Cleveland TT's and wedges are getting me to where I have confidence in all if those shots.

Still have some time left at Hogwarts apparently. Putting is getting there but I am by no means a wizard.

If I had responded to the 213 goals thread, I most likely would have said:

1. Be less grouchy when the round is not going well.
2. Shoot a slice-free round.
3. Break 100.

I'm not even close on any of these. I'm especially disappointed that I'm making no progress on #1. I do feel my practice is starting to pay off and I can see myself making progress on goals #2 and #3. But I have to stop letting the interim frustration get the best of me.

I really wanted to play more quality golf, play different courses, have more fun.

Well, so far this year, I have played a total of 27 holes. 2 different courses (one I had never played before), and I have had more fun.

I didn't enjoy playing with my group last year, and am catching flack from one person in particular for not playing as much this year. It really doesn't give me a lot of incentive to play with that group anymore.

1) Drop my handicap to 13.

2) Lose 50 pounds.

3) Better manage our family's finances so we're not wasting so much money.

4) Put a Morgan Cup on my mantle.

I'm doing pretty well.

My handicap is a 16.5, trending to a 15.4.

I haven't lost 50 pounds, but I'm down about 12 pounds.

We're still spending too much money, but we've also gotten some goals accomplished.

Goal #4 to be accomplished in just about 2 weeks.

I really wanted to play more quality golf, play different courses, have more fun.

Well, so far this year, I have played a total of 27 holes. 2 different courses (one I had never played before), and I have had more fun.

I didn't enjoy playing with my group last year, and am catching flack from one person in particular for not playing as much this year. It really doesn't give me a lot of incentive to play with that group anymore.
I'm playing less rounds than I used to with my normal partner. He's gotten more annoying since last year.

I wrote on Nov. 18th, 2012: "My 2013 goals are as follows:
1. Maintain my SDH and drop it to 7 or lower.
2. Fix my green side bunker game. It sucks. A green side bunker is an automatic bogey or double bogey for me, and sometimes worse.
3. Improve my short game and increase my scramble percentage.
4. Set a new personal best. Current is 77.
5. Win my golf league bracket and make the end of season tournament.
6. Place (1st, 2nd, 3rd or 4th) in my flight in my club championship.
7. Attend either the Mesquite Amateur in Mesquite, NV or the THP Outing and Demo Day in Orlando. Will depend on what my work schedule is on which one I can attend.
8. Make at least one THP invitational in 2013."

How I've done on each as of July '13:

1. In Dec my single digit hdcp started going up. Climbed to a high of 11.8. I got it back to singles in June. Currently 8.6 but trending to 7.3 for the upcoming revision.
2. Have improved greatly but still need to gain confidence. Had a bunker lesson with Mark Immelman that was fantastic in April.
3. Short game has come a long way. Getting Pelz book for Christmas helped. Scramble % is up.
4. Done. New PB of 74 set July 6th!
5. Leading my league bracket and have virtually locked up a spot in the end of season Tourney with just 1 match left to play.
6. Tourney is in late August.
7. Managed to squeeze in both!
8. Attending Atlanta Invitational in Aug.!

Shot my lowest score ever at my home course. Overall though my scores have been slightly higher than last year. I haven't played quite as much up till this point, but that will change in the next few weeks!

Get the self confidence to play in a group with strangers.
Play in club medals/comps.
Get a handicap (29 years after first playing!!)

1 - played in 1 medal, 2 club comps, 1 work day, 1 work comp, signed up for 3 more.
2 - as above
3 - third card went in today

So all met! Guess I need to start looking at numbers now...

My goal for the year was to get back to a 0 or better index again. I'm healthy for the first time since 2009 season(Surgeries:left shoulder reconstruction, left MCL/meniscus, right ACL replacement, broken right arm). All but the broken arm were ski injuries - I skied for 40 years with nothing more than a sprained thumb and then my good luck ran out.:act-up:

I haven't reached my goal but I'm very close at a 0.4 index. The next revision should lower it a little. It's awesome to have my joints back to 95% after the surgeries. I can take a pain free swing now and most importantly, hit practice shots again. I finally got fitted for a putter this year and discovered that I've been playing with a putter that is 2-3 inches too long my whole life. My putting has definitely improved with the 32 inch putter. I've gained some clubhead speed back and am getting the crisp compression with my iron shots again - I'm refusing to give in to middle age for as long as I can.:beauty:

Finalized my goals for next season:

· 5.0 or lower handicap
· Scoring Average 78 or below
· 70% Fairways
· 40% GIR
· 1.75 Putts per hole (1.9 per GIR)
· Shoot a par or better round

Those are a good start for me, but I think I can get those and then some if my game keeps progressing the way it has lately.

No (7.4)
No (91.7)
No (about 55%)
No (about 15%)
No (about 1.9)
No (my best round is 79)

Solid. I've gone backwards since last year. A lot.

Its fun to look ahead and see what you have accomplished, and what you would like to strive for in the near future. Here's to everyone's 2013 being incredible!

My goals for the 2013 season are as follows:

1. Eliminate the odd mid-high 80's score.
2. Get the handicap down to the 6-7 range.
3. Hit the gym and work on my core explosiveness.
4. Shoot par on 9 (& keep it rolling for 18). <---- Setting the bar high on this one. So far my best 9 has been +1 twice.
5. Enjoy a proper driver fitting and reap the rewards of my new bomber.
6. Continue to progress and enjoy every moment at the golf course.

Well lets see here...

1. Ehhh yes and no. FAIL
2. Nope, hovering in the low 8s. FAIL
3. Nope, I'd rather hit the range. FAIL
4. Nope, very close. FAIL
5. I'm working on it as we speak. FAIL
6. Resounding success!

So far not looking so good. But despite all that I still feel like I've made progress with my game and have enjoyed the process. Hope everyone else is doing better than I!

Break 100 (career low is 100 and 48 twice on 9 holes)
Break 90
Get more consistent overall (and especially off the tee)
Start tracking # of Fairways, and get that number up to 50%
Get my GIRs up
Play 20+ rounds (tough with my schedule and the length of the season out here)

Well I have already broken 100 ten times, it is now the rule, not the exception. Check off the first goal.
I shot an even 90 two weeks ago, getting close to goal #2!
I am getting more consistent, but not where I want to be.
I am averaging close to 30% fairways. This is where I am lacking the most.
My GIRs are up from 12% to almost 19%, still need work.
Already got 17 rounds in so far!
Another goal I had was to get under 2.0 putts per hole, down from 2.3 last year. I am right around 2.1 now- so saving a few strokes a round bu not where I want to be.

Need to hit more fairways!

Goals:
-Drop handicap to single digits. More range time but mostly playing smarter.
-Increase scrambling to 25%. Being able to keep my stats has helped me realize what will give me the most bang for my practice 'buck'
-Average 50% FIR. Ended 2012 shy of 40%. This is another area that could use some work.
-Be on in 2 on a par 5. I finally put a 3 wood back in my bag at the end of last year after playing years with out one due to a horrendous slice. It has been a good club to haveand will hopefully give me a shot at an eagle putt this year
-Eagle a hole it has been years since I last did this. It is time for another :)

My handicap has not dropped much but has stayed stead between an 11 and 12 since the end of last season. This goal is a long shot but I have been much more consistant this year.

Scrambling is at 19.2%. Not bad, but a ways to go. My last 5 rounds are at 25.6%, though.

Fairways are 43% for the season but are 52% for the last 5 rounds. I have seen a big improvement in this area this year.

I have not been on a par 5 in 2 yet. 20 yards away is my closest. I will hopefully capitalize on a big drive at some point, but the severely wet conditions have reduced all of my shots to carry only. I'd guess 90% of my drives stop with in 5 feet of their ball mark.

No eagle yet. Closest I have been to getting one on a par 3, 4, and 5 are: 2 feet, 3 feet, and 3 feet. The hunt continues.​

I didn't post in the previous thread however, my goals for 2013 were/are:

Goals:
1. Return to playing comfortably in the 90's every round (then worry about shooting low 90's again)
2. Reduce/eleminate the number of "blow up" holes per round.
3. Increase my GIRs.
4. Find my short game again.
5. Play more golf.
6. Attend a THP event.

Mid-Season Status:
1. Nope, have not broken into the 90's yet this year.
2. I had 2 snowmen (one on par 3 and one on a par 4) and carded 104 so I'm still not there yet.
3. I still try too hard on my 2nd shot and top/chunk. However, I am forcing myself to relax and let the equipment do the work so there has been some improvement.
4. Just when I start to get the feel again, its what in the world was that!?? So I haven't found it but I think I know the zip code.
5. Yes, it feels good to be on the course.
6. Big time score, Vegas Baby!! Hmm 2014 goal; be allowed to attend another THP event.

I'm working with a very good friend of mine who is a teaching pro. He isn't changing my natural swing, just adjusting parts of it. We started by working on changing how I grip the club. I hope that by the start of the 2013 season I have the entire new swing in good shape. Even though I'm in the Northeast I will still be hitting up the range so I am ready for 2013. I broke 80 for the first time this summer but my old swing was too inconsistent. I'm hoping this new swing will lead to more consistent scores in the 70's.

I've changed my grip and feel more comfortable with it. At least now I have a consistent miss versus not know where it was going. I haven't been to the range much though so the rest of my swing is still pretty much the same. I also haven't broke 80 once this year. Part of that is due to the fact that I've been so busy and the weather has been bad. I've only played 6 times this year where as last year I got in about 50 rounds. My grade for mid-season: D (I need to get things turned around)

Good thread. My goal is to get into the 80s consistently. This starts with a new round of lessons this off-season. Past that, I'm going to (try to) do basically what War did. Focus on my iron game. I just got new irons that fit my new swing better, but now it means that I can't cheat and go back to the old swing when I'm having a bad day. Short game. I was doing pretty good earlier this year, but lost focus and let life get in the way. Need to get back to that. Putting on a real green is so much different than putting on your carpet... Driver swing has always come and gone for me. I would like to find a little more consistency there and I hope the lessons will put me on the right path.

Hmm... Let's see.

Iron game - This has improved greatly for me. I feel like I'm in much better shape when I'm sitting in the fairway with any iron in my hands, though I do shy away from the 5I in the rough if I have options. Switching out the 4I for a 4H has given me a ton of confidence (rightly so or not) at longer distances.
- Improvement - B+
- Overall - B-

Short game - I was getting on a good track with this for a while but I've kinda dropped the ball here recently. The problem for me I think I'm sort of searching for an identity here. I was working with the Pelz method a bit at the end of last year. Then I took my lessons and my teacher teaches a very simple short game method that just didn't agree with me, as it was very mechanical feeling. Tried this for some time with very limited success. Since then, I've been working on chipping with the distance appropriate club (thanks to my FIL), which has worked pretty well. Pitching, I'm still sort of finding my way. I'm a sucker for information and have read a number of books on short game. While I find it interesting, I think that it messes with my head some. Likely I need to stop, pick one, and stick with it. Overall though, there has definitely been improvement.
- Improvement - B-
- Overall - C/C- (was reaaalllly bad before)

Putting - I feel like I've made some good strides here. I'm putting a much better stroke on the ball and my results have been much more consistent. My numbers haven't improved tremendously, but I've also been making an effort to play safer which has led to more long putts as I avoid trouble on the golf course.
- Improvement - B+
- Overall - C+

Driving - I'm definitely still very up and down with my driver swing. However I've reigned that in a bit mentally and now only pull driver when there's room for me to miss or if I'm hitting it well. I've also found a decent groove with my fairways off the tee that has helped make that decision a lot easier. Penalty strokes are starting to go down, which is helping to keep me from having as many blow up holes.
- Improvement - B
- Overall - C

Man. Looks like I'm a big fat C student... :D It's ok though. I think that it's a product of a few things, but mostly not having as much time as I'd like to dedicate to practice. Retrospect on this is actually a little eye opening and lets me know that I've got some work to do this year still. Good news is I'm starting to get the odd round into the 80s here recently and I feel like I'm right on the cusp of dropping into a place where that's a regular thing. I will say for those that are trying to improve, keep stats when you can. Sure I don't detail every causal round with my friends (I still add the scores though). However most rounds, I'm tracking FIR, GIR, putts, etc. I don't do a huge amount of analysis, but I find that just the act of writing it down is motivating to me. I hate writing the dreaded 'P' on the scorecard... I also hate writing '3' for putting on any hole. Conversely, it's actually rewarding to write down a par 4 with a 2 putt, god forbid a birdie! Or anything that's a solid hole for that matter. It helps me etch those holes in my memory and drives me a little bit to have more of them.

So far this year has been interesting, and frustrating to a degree. I started off after the winter ( we play through the winter, play it down like normal summer golf - so my HC always goes up during that time) as a 16.8 HC. I am now down to a 14.3.
My driving has been ehh - not nearly as good as it was last year, but I am not hitting anything O.B or stuff like that either- just a lot more less than "pure" hits. Been battling a balky shoulder as well that seems to show more with the driver than any other club.
My irons have been as good as I have ever hit them. For some reason, I am much longer with my irons than I am with my driver relatively speaking. My short game has been lights out - which brings me to the crux of the biscuit... putting.
The last 2 years, especially this year, I absolutely suck. I can't tell you how many less than 4' putts I have missed, how many balls lip out, how many burn edges. With the way my short game & irons have been, I should be under 30 putts every round. Well, I average about 36, and I absolutely have 3 putted probably half the greens I have hit in regulation, and should have gotten up & down many more times than I have. I have finally scheduled a lesson with a guy who is supposed to be a brilliant putter & teacher - it's gotta help! I actually shot a 78 this year, and an 82 at one of the toughest courses around. Of course, the minute I get the putting figured out, something else will go south! Stupid game haha!

1. Have fun. It is a game after all.

Doing that alright... Last year was getting not fun. Scores were consistent but high, slices, lack of distance and lack of improvement were making it not so fun anymore.

2. General overall swing improvement. I am in the middle of lessons at GolfTEC to accomplish this.

Yes, this part has been great. Now its just fine tuning and getting feel for hitting to a specific distance.

3. Reduce the number of putts per round. ...

29 putts a couple weeks ago and nothing over 34 so far this year is an improvement. (putting was awful last year, worst round 42 putts)

That's 3 for 3!!!

Last edited:
Back