Friend canceled -- go anyway?

Sounds like you had a great time. That's a win in my book. Congrats and good luck going forward!

I wish we had more people like you that were not affraid to just out there and and play, the game would be much better off than it is now. Its the people that the business man you mentioned or the league guys that I really dont get. I take every chance to play with new people and show them how fun this game can be. I am very positive person on the course and always try to help or give words of encouragment. Great job getting out there and like others have said throw the scoredcard out the first few times and work on having fun and finding a way to score.

Andy216, don't be embarrassed and don't feel bad about shooting a 68. Some of us are happy to post that score.

The way I look at it is this: any shot that advances the ball closer to the hole is a good one.

I'm only able to play 9 holes right now and I've shot 51 twice... and 52, 54, 56, 59, 61 several times.

It's those shots you make that have you thinking "HOW did I do that? And HOW do I do it again!!!" that keep me coming back. Puring a drive or iron or wedge shot, or sinking a long one putt... that's what it's all about. Stringing them all together... some of us have been working at that all our lives...

Congrats on getting out. Stay focused and maybe play some rounds where you don't keep score

Glad to hear you got out and had a good time man. and that score ain't bad for your first time. Keep at it and you'll se fast improvement.

I did, indeed, go out yesterday.

The starter was going to pair me with a guy who was in town on business from San Francisco. He seemed really nice. When I told him this was my first time on a course, he said he was hoping to get through the round pretty fast and he'd just play ahead. So I was out on my own.

Just behind me was a twosome that were part of a league. They teed off right behind me and I offered to let them play through or join me as they were obviously much better. (As I stepped off the green, tapping in my putt on my sixth hit on a par four, they drove their first ball just shy of the green.) They opted to play through. I felt a little anxious and rough having someone pass me already on hole 1.

So I played alone, but I still had a good time. I caught up with a father-son duo on hole 6. They offered to let me play through as they were really slow and dad was teaching his son a bit on the course. With no one in view for a few holes behind me, I opted to slow down myself and not pass. It was a great decision. I knew I had plenty of time because they were quite slow, which meant that there was no rush for me. I took my time and hit better shots.
In retrospect, I think I played too fast and over swung anytime I found myself in a bad spot. Too many of my iron shots were not hit well. A few of my shots off tee weren't hit well either, but most did OK. My putting was solid. Even when across the green, I often could get to the hole with a single putt.

The 9 holes took me about 1 hour and 40 minutes to complete. I did no damage to the course. (Aside from a few divots that I made sure to replace) I didn't seem to piss anyone off. My score was terrible. I almost don't want to admit to it, but I hit a 68 on 9 holes. I mostly hit straight, though, so that's positive.

I can't wait to get out there again. And I realize now how ineffective my driving range sessions have been. I will have a totally different approach when I go back to the range tomorrow.

So in reference to the bolded part, did you join and finish the round with them or did you stay behind them and play as a singe? The only reason I ask is if you played with them, you may have had the opportunity to make a new golf buddy, plus you may have picked some good pointers up from him. On that note, if you ever do get with someone who offers pointers, keep in mind that you have an instructor and he may have a defined path for you. The pointers that are given may be in the future of what your instructor plans on exposing you to, but you haven't gained the skill set to implement them yet or they may be at complete odds with what the instructor wants you to do. Pointers aren't bad necessarily, but don't always take them at face value. As a player who plays in the 90's with an 80s score thrown in here and there, I'll let better golfer know that I'm not looking for lessons, but if they see me struggling with something repeatedly and they have a nugget to share to feel free. They feel comfortable that way and then it's up to me whether or not I take that advice.

I have not yet reached my initial goal, which is to be able to play a round without embarrassing myself out on the course. But I think I'll get there.

I've been playing since I was 7 and I still haven't figured out how to do that.

So in reference to the bolded part, did you join and finish the round with them or did you stay behind them and play as a singe? The only reason I ask is if you played with them, you may have had the opportunity to make a new golf buddy, plus you may have picked some good pointers up from him. On that note, if you ever do get with someone who offers pointers, keep in mind that you have an instructor and he may have a defined path for you. The pointers that are given may be in the future of what your instructor plans on exposing you to, but you haven't gained the skill set to implement them yet or they may be at complete odds with what the instructor wants you to do. Pointers aren't bad necessarily, but don't always take them at face value. As a player who plays in the 90's with an 80s score thrown in here and there, I'll let better golfer know that I'm not looking for lessons, but if they see me struggling with something repeatedly and they have a nugget to share to feel free. They feel comfortable that way and then it's up to me whether or not I take that advice.

i hung behind them. It was very much a father-son outing, and I didn't want to intrude.

Not bad for your first time.

I guess the only question that needs to be asked now is....How soon are you going to go back out and try it again, tomorrow or next week or....?

Nice job Andy. You'd be a welcome partner to my group anytime.

As to the business guy, I understand he may have been on a tight schedule. But it's his loss.

He missed out on seeing the joy of a new player experience the game and maybe a chance to offer some kind words to a new golfer......and potentially lost a new business contact.

All that said congrats and do it again. Hopefully your buddy or someone else will be able to join you

I judge success in that:
1. I had a good time.
2. I want to go do it again.

I have not yet reached my initial goal, which is to be able to play a round without embarrassing myself out on the course. But I think I'll get there.

Dont feel bad, in over three years I still manage to do it every once in a while.

Back