Friend canceled -- go anyway?

Andy216

Reaction score
Handicap
??
I was supposed to go golfing for the first time after work today.

I've been getting lessons from a local pro, and I have hit a few holes with my instructor, but never played a round.

My friend just canceled on me, which is a major bummer. I was really looking forward to going. I looked up the tee times online, and I see they have an opening for 1-2 players right after work ends. So I assume a twosome has booked the slot.

Would it be bad form to book that spot, considering it would be my first time out on the course, and join that twosome? The alternative is trying to recruit someone at work to go with me. Or just not go today.

This is the second time I had a round planned and canceled last minute, so I'm a bit frustrated. (First time was a different group of friends)

Just go and play.

Gotta start sometime. Have at it.

On the one hand, playing your first round with friends may provide you a bit more comfort out on the course. On the other hand, you just as well learn now that you can play with strangers just fine. I say go for it.

~Rock

I recommend going alone and if you are paired up with someone explain to them what is going on. I imagine they will say just play along with them. Be cognizant if you are taking too long on a particular hole and just pick up the ball and allow them to play at a good pace. You will be surprised at how well you do on some holes.

Another option if they balk is to allow them to play ahead and just follow them around the course as a single. Of course if they have a marshal he may make you join back up with them but on week days I am seeing less and less of marshals anywhere I play.

Enjoy yourself and don't stress too much on how you play.

If it were me, I'd get out and play. Just depends on how comfortable you think you will be around new people. After a few holes though, I think you will find that you can easily strike up a little conversation with the people you are playing with.

I would say depends on the course. Most places, twlight hours on a tuesday wouldn't be all that packed. You might not need to be paired up. I would go anyway.

If your the sort of 'leap off the cliff guy', I agree… just go play. I know for my first rounds, I was in the same position of being by myself. I went to the local par 29 executive and played alone a few times for the experience what goes right and more importantly, wrong.

Just go and play and have a great time.

I'm fairly social...I am a former journalist. So not worried about being able to find conversation, more worried about them being stuck with someone who barely knows what he's doing!

But if it doesn't sound like that big of a faux pas, I'm game...

Definitely go anyway. Have fun!

I would say depends on the course. Most places, twlight hours on a tuesday wouldn't be all that packed. You might not need to be paired up. I would go anyway.

That's likely true. Ten minutes before and later are open tee times. (You just can't sign up as a single when there are four slots available.) So if they are averse, I can just drop back.

Of course this way, booking online, I save $5 too.

id just go and enjoy it

Go and play! Find more reliable golf partners, I have 3 people I play with every week no matter what and then like 6-8 other people I can call that are always 50/50.

Go and play! Find more reliable golf partners, I have 3 people I play with every week no matter what and then like 6-8 other people I can call that are always 50/50.

I have lots of friends who golf 3-4 times a year. I need to make some friends who golf a whole lot more often!

I'd say go for it anyway. A friend of mine isn't the best at golf but he still enjoys going out and hitting a few shots. We both tee off and if his isn't good he drives up to my ball and tosses it about 5 yards further than mine and jokes about his great shot. My point is that you don't have to play the ball down the whole time I'd you are worried about your play, you can foot wedge or place it where you want just to play some shots. Just don't take it too seriously and have fun with it.

Be friendly, pick up if you have to, and get out there. If you tell them it is your first round, I am they will be more than happy to explain some rules to you if you are unaware of them.

If you feel comfortable enough to go out and play, I say do it.

Go and have fun, don't put too much pressure on yourself. I've met plenty of nice people when I went as a single and got paired up. Might be a nice chapter in your "chronicle"?

Tee it up! You'll enjoy the time anyway!

Go play and have fun.

There uis always a spot for a single. Get out there andhave fun. If a hole is getting away from you pick it up and try your hand at the next one. Its supposed to be dont let it get to you.

I say go for it. Just make sure to keep up and maybe pick up if you ever hit 10 strokes? Let the guys know you've never played but are more than willing to keep pace and not make their round un-enjoyable. I think they'd certainly respect that.

Go do it. Just explain to whomever you're paired with it's your first round, but you won't slow them up because you'll pick up.

If at any point you feel like they're waiting on you, just pick the ball up, carry it to the green, drop it somewhere and putt. The important thing is to pick up early enough. If you're hitting your 5th shot on the hole and they're hitting their second, you've waited too long. Who cares if you only hit two shots before picking up and are not even halfway to the hole? You're still getting the chance to hit some shots, putt some and learn how to play the game.

Also, be sure to let them know you'd like them to point out any etiquette mistakes you make and pay attention if they do.

Finally, should you get unlucky and get a rare non-understanding group , don't let that color your opinion of golf or playing with strangers. Ninety-nine percent of my rounds with strangers are nothing but enjoyable. Just chalk it up to bad luck and try again.

Back