How much pressure do you press down on your feet

golfsteve

Reaction score
Handicap
Hi guys,

Quick question for you

We hear a lot about weight transfer and about where are weight should be in relation to our feet (some say balls of the feet, others through the ankle etc).

My question relates to that weight. I'm a former rugby player and used to do a lot of squats in the gym so I'm going to use that as a visual for what I'm speaking about.

When you get under the bar your weight is a natural feeling on your feet, right before you lift you push down through the soles of your feet and that gives a much heavier feeling.

When we address the golf ball are we meant to be in a state where our weight is just a natural feeling? Or do we push down into the ground like the pre-cursor to a squat?

Thanks in advance,
Steve

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't press down with my legs when I address the ball, just a simple break in the knees, almost like a relaxed batting stance. I try to keep my weight balanced across my feet and an even 50/50 right foot/left foot unless I am going for a scoring shot, then it's 60/40.

Thanks Yankee,

I've heard a lot about the 50/50 and 60/40 type set ups, I was just curious if folk fire their legs up before they drive into the ball.

Been seeing the term "from the ground up" in relation to swings a lot and I'm trying to piece the whole thing together

Thanks for the reply

I don't press down with my legs when I address the ball, just a simple break in the knees, almost like a relaxed batting stance. I try to keep my weight balanced across my feet and an even 50/50 right foot/left foot unless I am going for a scoring shot, then it's 60/40.

I agree. Too much pressure on your feet and I'd think you would be hitting everything fat.

the more i focus on weight transfer the worse I do. I just don't think about it. I swing within myself and try to be fluid like the pros.

Thanks for the replies folks, at the moment I'm just standing normal pressure to the ground but it's just one of these things I'd never thought about until recently

I vary between a 50/50 and close to 60/40 setup. I don't try to squat and drive through like the pros, I would hit fat shots if I did and when I try to get too aggressive I tend to pull the ball. If I think of anything it's probably to feel weight on inside of back leg and to start swing with lower half

Interesting topic- my instructors are working with this idea currently, and I am asking similar questions myself!
Athletic stance at address (balls of feet), during downswing increasing (as if squatting and getting ready to jump), left hip just at/after impact, then weight on the outside back of left foot at the completion of the follow thru. That is what I have been told to think about.
Not sure if this answers your question, but it may help.

I was working on stance yesterday with my instructor, one of my problems is getting the correct distance from the ball and weight in my feet.

The tip he gave me was if I feel like I'm on my toes I'm to far away, if I feel weight in my heels I'm to close. If it feels like an even distribution and I can wiggle my toes in my shoes I'm about right. With a slight weight bias towards my front foot, for me this helps eliminate topping it. This also gives me far better balance and helps eliminate some of the swaying when I swing.

I was working on stance yesterday with my instructor, one of my problems is getting the correct distance from the ball and weight in my feet.

The tip he gave me was if I feel like I'm on my toes I'm to far away, if I feel weight in my heels I'm to close. If it feels like an even distribution and I can wiggle my toes in my shoes I'm about right. With a slight weight bias towards my front foot, for me this helps eliminate topping it. This also gives me far better balance and helps eliminate some of the swaying when I swing.

I use a similar test. My instructor and I work on keeping balanced in between the balls of my feet and my heels. A check I use to see if I am too far from the ball is to take my stance, address the ball then lift the club up so my hands are in front of me. If the inside if my biceps are not touching my chest I then lower down to address position and see where my club is in relation to the ball, if I am no longer addressing the ball I scoot up while maintains my address position until I am addressing the ball again.

Tried these today and concentrating on putting the pressure on my feet allowed me to transfer my weight easier and start my downswing with my legs / hips. All in all a huge improvement was seen today at the range

My instructor tells me to feel like there is more weight on the lead foot at address. I make my backswing and then press down in that pre-squat feeling during the down swing while shifting my weight forward. But as you turn your belt buckle has to come up to keep from hitting fat. My instructor references it more as a dead lift feeling than a squat.

It's position number 5 in this picture as Spieth starts his downswing, but almost immediately after he is raising his belt buckle as it turns toward the target:

insl01-jordan-spieth-intro.jpg

Last edited:
This is pretty much what I'm talking about and the dead lift analogy is definitely a good one, you're driving down in order to create lift.

I was having a great time at the range today, I was hitting my 8 iron very consistently and further than the 6 iron just a few days ago.

I have had a tendency in the past just to feel like my lower body takes care of itself but putting an emphasis on flexing the required muscles has really got me focussing on what they should be doing, the other added and somewhat subliminal benefit is that when you focus on flexing the muscles in your legs you tend to forget about putting any tension in your upper body

Currently I am pressing down approximately 220 lbs on my feet. However, that may change after I dive into the ribs and baked potatoes that are now on the grill.

Very interesting comments

It's not something I gave much thought to until I realised my lower body felt underpowered

Any thoughts Freddie?

Back