More and more yellow balls are being played

rollin

"Just playin golf pally"
Reaction score
Handicap
I have been playing them (mostly) past two years. Unless I find great deal on my brand in white I will normally get them in yellow. In fact I've become so use to them that I don't feel as good when I use white ones now lol. I am bad at tracking the ball in flight and found the yellow helps a lot. But the reason for the post is this -

- I am finding more and more that I am no longer the only one in a foursome with a yellow ball. I liked usually being the only one. Easiest to spot etc...

Very rare I was paired with another using them. This season I have had many rounds where others are using them. Also been noticing more of them being played in near by foursomes on adjoining fairways or while on a tee and you look over to the last green or whatever the case. Also finding significantly many more of them that were lost as we may look for balls that went errant in weeds, woods, or in tall rough whatever. Just finding it strange and certainly something that's been a very noticeable difference vs ever before. Been enough to at least cause me to bring this topic up.

I am wondering if just a coincidence I been coming across them much more often or are you all noticing more and more yellow/greenish or any color balls being played nowadays vs before.

I tried yellow for the first time this year. I liked them. I intended to convert to yellow. After playing well with them in Carlsbad I came back and got 2 dzn Callaway Supersofts.

Big problem however for those in Ontario Canada. No pesticides allowed. So if the rough hasn't been cut and the dandelions are in full bloom your not finding your ball if it's not in the fairway .

So after 3 troublesome rounds I have gone back to traditional white.

I prefer yellow but will play white sometimes too. I have noticed more people playing yellows too. I think the brighter shades being used nowadays are more pleasing to the eye than the old duller yellows of yesteryear.

I will only play yellow or orange. I can't see the white in the air at all. Which ducks because I have about 12 dozens white balls I'll most likely never use

That's funny, before I jumped on THP I was contemplating trying the yellow supersoft. I've been having trouble spotting my shots. I've never gone yellow, how much better is it?

I played a yellow SuperSoft this weekend. I will use both balls, have tons of white ones lying around, but I also can easily lose a white ball in the air. I also have this strange feeling that the yellow is easier to focus on against the green grass. When you have a tough chip or sand shot or something, I feel like I can just focus better on good contact.

Played the older Q-Star in yellow most of last year. Seemed to be in stores and on interweb sites everywhere at a great price. This year I have kind of been searching for a go to value ball and therefore playing a lot more white.

I do like the yellow for long range visibility in the air. Good ground visibility in spring and early summer too when the sun is really high and the grass is a deep green. Not so good as the fall approaches when the sun angle get lower, grass browns out and the leaves get more prevalent.

I do see more yellow being played as well but mostly by middle age and older golfers.

I have been playing yellow balls for at least the last 2 years, maybe longer. I liked the fact that I was the only one in my regular group using yellow but one of the guys in my regular 4 some switched over to yellow this year and that small advantage of easily being able to tell which ball is mine is now gone.

I agree with what Otis says above - "I do see more yellow being played as well but mostly by middle age and older golfers."

I use yellow at dusk to get 20 minutes of extra golf in.

I have a dozen yellow XV's, I haven't put them in play yet but that's only because I have been playing pretty good golf (for me) and haven't lost the ones in my bag yet. I have played with two buddies that have switched to yellow balls this year. It's certainly more "accepted" now, maybe because you see them more on TV. Pro use may not be the #1 reason but I'm sure it helps. It's certainly easier to spot your ball when you are the only one in the group using one, I honestly think it speeds up play a little.

I have noticed the same thing when playing courses outside of my normal course. Not sure if because the are so many older/retired players at Andrews AFB and are reluctant to switch to yellow but at other courses I find lots of yellow balls.mi have played both over the last year and like the yellow for tracking. I will probably make the swith next year but since I have a bunch of white balls that I got a deal on On my way! I'll be waiting til I need new ones, however I like to have a yellow ball when I play later in the day.

Volvik offrers other colors and wonder if/when people might start playing them, but I think since so many people do what they see on TV I don't think various colors will become popular with the men as they might with female golfers

the one thing I can still hold on to as for the color being more easily noticed is that I do find my specific ball (the Bridge..e6) is usually somewhat a tad more yellow and a bit shinny vs some of the other brands. The dt solo, pinnacle, a nxt tour all do seem to have a tad more greenish-yellow tint and also a tad less glossy or as bright. It may just be that I am so very use to looking at my specific ball, but when two yellows are being used I can (not always) but still just often enough pinpoint it out among the other yellow one as we may walk closer to them.

I still alternate between white and yellow. My current gamer, the B330-RX I play in white because I am not crazy about the Bridgestone yellow. But I love the Srixon highlighter yellow of the Q and Z stars.

Up in my area, I'm still in the minority if in using a yellow ball--unless I'm playing with ddec. I originally thought I'd be able to track ball flight better with yellow, but for me, I don't see them any better than the white ones.

"I do see more yellow being played as well but mostly by middle age and older golfers."

Yea not many younger folks ever using them. I dare to say I think some natural younger ego may have something to do with that. As another has mentioned colored balls more often have been used by women vs men and I think that's where the ego can sometimes get in the way. To tell you the truth, if more and more keep using them I would actually consider to play a pink one if my brand/type was made in pink just to keep it more personal and individual as is one of the reasons I do it now. I would imagine pink might work just as well for tracking purposes for me too but I'm not sure as I never really played one.

Up in my area, I'm still in the minority if in using a yellow ball--unless I'm playing with ddec. I originally thought I'd be able to track ball flight better with yellow, but for me, I don't see them any better than the white ones.

I am surprised as some do say they do not track them any better because most would agree that they do but of course our eyes are all dfifferent. I find the sun reflects off them better and is why they track better and then we often have those days when the clouds /sky is at the perfect color to just eat up white balls that seem to disappear off the club face especially from the tee and long shots.

I don't think you really find them any better. After all a hidden ball is still hidden. But I am not a good ball tracker at all. I really have to pay close attention and if playing by myself it is something that hurts me so when alone I just have to use yellow. A huge difference for me to help track the flight.

I am surprised as some do say they do not track them any better because most would agree that they do but of course our eyes are all dfifferent. I find the sun reflects off them better and is why they track better and then we often have those days when the clouds /sky is at the perfect color to just eat up white balls that seem to disappear off the club face especially from the tee and long shots.

I don't think you really find them any better. After all a hidden ball is still hidden. But I am not a good ball tracker at all. I really have to pay close attention and if playing by myself it is something that hurts me so when alone I just have to use yellow. A huge difference for me to help track the flight.
I couldn't track a ball that was on fire with a laser beam attached to it. That's why I said that I couldn't track the yellow ones any better.

I do like driving up the cart path and seeing my yellow ball 50 yards further up the fairway than my playing partners with their white ones. Now that I can see. :)

I couldn't track a ball that was on fire with a laser beam attached to it. That's why I said that I couldn't track the yellow ones any better.

I do like driving up the cart path and seeing my yellow ball 50 yards further up the fairway than my playing partners with their white ones. Now that I can see. :)

lol yea they do travel further
But if more keep using them I will also lose that advantage too.

I used to have a thing about not using them, but now I like to use them occasionally. Me and my buddies used to crack jokes about the yellow ball, but now pick on me for using them... until I beat them with it. Haha

I used to have a thing about not using them, but now I like to use them occasionally. Me and my buddies used to crack jokes about the yellow ball, but now pick on me for using them... until I beat them with it. Haha

I wish that I was able to play with any kind of balls right now :beat-up:

I've used them, and a lot of people I play with use them. Maybe its my eyes, but for me they're difficult to find in heavy rough or in the trees.

I still alternate between white and yellow. My current gamer, the B330-RX I play in white because I am not crazy about the Bridgestone yellow. But I love the Srixon highlighter yellow of the Q and Z stars.

I am with you on the Srixon yellow. The only yellow ball I will use. I do use both white and yellow. Did game the Srixon yellow this past Saturday to go with the new Bio Cell Blue driver.

I am with you on the Srixon yellow. The only yellow ball I will use. I do use both white and yellow. Did game the Srixon yellow this past Saturday to go with the new Bio Cell Blue driver.

Hitting yellow balls with a blue headed driver sounds like the ticket to me :bomb:

I've played the yellow ball for a couple of years now (Chrome+) and it's definitely easier to track in the air and really stands out in the fairway. I don't think it's any harder to find in the rough than white but does stand out more in the native on my home course. I have other guys comment all the time that they can see it fly better - our Colorado skies are usually a lite blue/white that you just lose a white ball in frequently. I'm not a big fan of Srixon balls in general so if the yellow Chrome+ goes away I guess I'll have to go a Bridgestone. I would love to see Nike or TaylorMade come out with a yellow tour quality ball but no luck so far.

Oh and I was also thinking that pink would be great ala Tin Cup (TIN CUP: "I'll be playing a Pink Lady today." BOONE: "That little pink *** ball supposed to rattle me?" TIN CUP: "Not unless I knock it by you."), but I played with a guy who bought some pink Bridgestone BB30-RXs and I couldn't see those in the air AT ALL. So much for f'ing with guys by playing the pink ball ...

Yea not many younger folks ever using them. I dare to say I think some natural younger ego may have something to do with that. As another has mentioned colored balls more often have been used by women vs men and I think that's where the ego can sometimes get in the way. To tell you the truth, if more and more keep using them I would actually consider to play a pink one if my brand/type was made in pink just to keep it more personal and individual as is one of the reasons I do it now. I would imagine pink might work just as well for tracking purposes for me too but I'm not sure as I never really played one.

I have considered going to pink to from a "I want to be different from others" view, but only pink one I found so far in a quick search is from Volvik.

I have been using the yellow e6 for a couple years now and hate it when I have to use a white ball now. I just can't pick the white ones up as well as I use to.

Back