Really stupid question, but do clean golf balls make a difference?

I tend to put this in the same camp as whether or not to tee it up when allowed, if they let you clean your ball before you tee off and when you mark on the green, why wouldn't you? Even if the difference is minimal why leave it up to chance.

I've always approached it the exact same way. I always wipe it down on the green after I've marked, and I'll give it a quick wipe on the way to the next tee. I'm always using the ball washers as well.

A clean ball is easier to find in the rough (speaking from much experience with the rough) :wink:

The better question is are we good enough as players (not internet golfers guys lol) to notice the scuffs, grass, or the grass stain marks on the ball?

Firmly I believe that a golf ball is better clean. However not enough to worry myself every hole because it has one scuff on it.

A freshly washed car is more aerodynamic, which means better gas mileage (albeit rather small amount) so I figure a clean ball has better aerodynamics, which means it performs like it shold.

Does a light amount of dust or grass stains affect ball flight? Probably

Do I keep my ball as clean as possible? Yes, absolutely. When it's legal, I clean the ball with a damp towel and chance I get.

any dirt or mud will change the flight characteristics of the ball

Jack said a few things that I have lived by on the golf course. One being, if you have a chance to clean your ball, do so.

We all know mud can effect the ball flight and sand a putt. But a little dirt I'm not so sure any differences ca be detected. On those occasions I have gamed a dirty ball it still performed.

I always clean my balls. I'm not sure how much better it helps them perform however I just can't get it on with dirty balls. If I go in the woods and my balls get all nasty and stuff, (once the hole is finished) out comes the cleaning towel. I'm not sure if it's an old man thing or what but I'm put off with playing with dirty balls and it's a no no.

I want a nice clean ball at all times. Hit the washer every chance, yes. There's something about a clean washed ball, it has that glow and tacky feeling. I guess the thought of playing an old dirty ball has never crossed my mind.

Back