Srixon Z 355 Irons Preview

Nice thoughts Dean. Looking forward to more of your thoughts.

Well done Dean! Seems like Srixon continues to bring it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

just getting in from golf and a good range session post round. Have some videos of sound that I am working to get up for you all. The range post round range session was a blast, really felt like I got more in tune with these sticks. Will have those videos up later. Also playing another round tomorrow morning, so if you have any questions feel free to throw them up here and I will do my best to get your answers.

How would you compare these to the Apex line? Similar distance? Forgiveness?

How would you compare these to the Apex line? Similar distance? Forgiveness?
My time with Apex is limited, in fact I only ever hit them on the course when I swipe them from Pete's bag. I would say they are in the same ball park as far as distance. Hard for me to directly compare forgiveness. Pete has taken some swings with these and he will take more in the future.

Ok sound files. One thing I picked up on during the range session that I'm not sure I completely grasped during on course testing was the sound difference between the lower and scoring irons. For these I'm using a 7 in the first and a 9 in the second. Hitting a full bucket continuously on the range I picked up that the lower 5-7 irons had a little louder crack to them as opposed to a deeper sound from the scoring clubs. Not sure how well you can pick it up on video but I tried. It's not a huge difference, we aren't talking Vapor Speed or Bertha irons sound here, but to me it was notable.

2 and 4th shot were hit thin on the 7 iron. Noticeable sound difference.

Odd request, but next time you do a sound test, can you use a different ball in the middle? Like take those super high compression balls you were using for a few swings and then another ball for another swing? Curious if there is a difference or if its the club. If its the club, I am really digging the sound there.

Odd request, but next time you do a sound test, can you use a different ball in the middle? Like take those super high compression balls you were using for a few swings and then another ball for another swing? Curious if there is a difference or if its the club. If its the club, I am really digging the sound there.

No problem. There was certainly a mixed set of balls in the range bucket. Sound is really good throughout. I'm certainly a fan.

Really liking what I am seeing out of these so far. Similar in size to the irons I have been playing and have a great look to them. I love the sole design and where it is on this set and based on our conversation with Srixon and learning a bit about the design, and its intentions, makes me want to give them a work out.

Speaking of the leading edge and v sole. I snapped this pic on the range after multiple swings. Thought it illustrated the v sole pretty nicely.

c014acc4bbfed4e1ab96682528192689.jpg

81748bee52f1166dccbde9132473f875.jpg

Really liking what I am seeing out of these so far. Similar in size to the irons I have been playing and have a great look to them. I love the sole design and where it is on this set and based on our conversation with Srixon and learning a bit about the design, and its intentions, makes me want to give them a work out.

Are you seeing similar distances and forgiveness?

Are you seeing similar distances and forgiveness?

I have literally only taken a single swing with them. While at their HQ, Dean was selected to review this line since he was present.

When I play in really wet and soft conditions I get worried how I'm going to hit my irons. I tend to get steep and really dig in those conditions. Yesterday we faced those conditions after a ton of rain late Saturday and in to the early hours of Sunday. Did not have any of those shots yesterday. Without a doubt I give some of that credit to the soles of these irons. A little wider than I normally play, but with that V sole that I believe just flat out works. These clubs just found a way to easily glide through the wet/soft turf all day long. The more I use these the more I think they are a good club for a masses. Srixon packed plenty of forgiveness in to these heads without giving them a large footprint. Pretty impressive on their part.

One small knock that I notice during the round, which I didn't grab a picture of but I will. On the back of the cavity, above where it says Srixon, there is a black material on the metal. I noticed on some that the material is someone scraping off. Wasn't much, it's not like what we saw with the pro combos this year, but makes me wonder how the finish will hold on them.

When I play in really wet and soft conditions I get worried how I'm going to hit my irons. I tend to get steep and really dig in those conditions. Yesterday we faced those conditions after a ton of rain late Saturday and in to the early hours of Sunday. Did not have any of those shots yesterday. Without a doubt I give some of that credit to the soles of these irons. A little wider than I normally play, but with that V sole that I believe just flat out works. These clubs just found a way to easily glide through the wet/soft turf all day long. The more I use these the more I think they are a good club for a masses. Srixon packed plenty of forgiveness in to these heads without giving them a large footprint. Pretty impressive on their part.

One small knock that I notice during the round, which I didn't grab a picture of but I will. On the back of the cavity, above where it says Srixon, there is a black material on the metal. I noticed on some that the material is someone scraping off. Wasn't much, it's not like what we saw with the pro combos this year, but makes me wonder how the finish will hold on them.

I saw the same thing with the black in the cavity of the JPX 825s I had. It was noticeable at first, because the clubs no longer looked perfect, but it never really got much worse. I will be interested to see if these are the same.

Srixon Z 355 Irons Preview

Good feedback OC. Do they compare look and setup wise to the irons you are using? Not performance mind you, but was the setup similar?
I forgot that I snapped these yesterday on a par 3. Both the same iron (8 iron I think) and 355 on the top, Apex on the bottom.

de5a6b8ec86a005d0e6423aaddae3bdc.jpg

c74c73d5a174b9ea599311aefc8be9ee.jpg

I'll also add that there is PLENTY of forgiveness packed into these irons. My first swing with them yesterday, I caught the ball WAY out on the toe, and the ball ended up just short and right of the green (we're talking 3 or 4 paces off the green). I also missed a 6 iron on a par 3 later in the round, and the ball ended up on the front right of the green. In both cases, swing was terrible, contact was terrible, result was not terrible.

What are you guys seeing for distance on these? I know the 545s are basically rocket launchers for me - are these also long?

I've been striking the ball better with my i25s than I am the 545s, but I miss the distance I was seeing with the 545s. Part of that is a fitting issue - I need to get the clubs extended again, but when I hit the 545s on the screws, it isn't even close.

What are you guys seeing for distance on these? I know the 545s are basically rocket launchers for me - are these also long?

I've been striking the ball better with my i25s than I am the 545s, but I miss the distance I was seeing with the 545s. Part of that is a fitting issue - I need to get the clubs extended again, but when I hit the 545s on the screws, it isn't even close.

For me the noticeable distance gains are in the scoring irons(8-PW). The 5-7 I'm seeing very similar to what I was seeing before.

Hard for me to answer that with limited swings. I'd say consistent with my current gamers, but with a caveat. I almost feel like I haven't consistently hit the 355s flush (fitting, shafts, mental, whatever). So I'll mis-hit an iron, and then get to the green and it's just about where I would expect the ball to be if I had caught it right.

I'm definitely looking forward to possibly getting some time with these next month.

Dean,
I live on the bottom 1/4 - 1/3 of the clubface. How would you compare the lower face forgiveness of the Z355's to some of the other irons you've played?

I'm definitely looking forward to possibly getting some time with these next month.
That makes two of us.

Dean,
I live on the bottom 1/4 - 1/3 of the clubface. How would you compare the lower face forgiveness of the Z355's to some of the other irons you've played?

They stack up pretty well. I've been known to miss a shot thin from time to time. The ball still gets up in the air, instead of seeing one of those line drives. I think the total amount of forgiveness packed in to these is impressive.

They stack up pretty well. I've been known to miss a shot thin from time to time. The ball still gets up in the air, instead of seeing one of those line drives. I think the total amount of forgiveness packed in to these is impressive.
Thanks. I really like the sole technology and hearing that they are fairly forgiving lower on the face puts them at the top of the must hit list.

Tested these tonight and have to say that I really liked what I saw. A bit more offset, a bit different ball flight, but I hit them really well and liked what I saw. Very impressive at a price point that will make them intriguing to people looking at Srixon irons.

Back