Really stupid question, but do clean golf balls make a difference?

MTC82

Reaction score
Handicap
I know it's a pretty dumb question, but I was wondering how important it is to have a clean ball vs. a dirty one. Of course if it's caked in mud it's obviously gonna mess with the intregrity of the ball and screw the flight up but if it's just a little bit dirty or scuffed up does it make a difference? I've tried experimenting on my own with this but I'm not a good enough ball striker to know whether any differences are from the ball or my strike. Anyway I know this is a pretty pointless question since most people hit the ball washer every chance they get, but I'm not one of those people, I really don't care how clean my golf ball is, but if I know that it makes a noticeable difference than I would definitely change my philosophy.

In my experience, yes it does. I notice it more in my short game than anywhere else really as I can't spin the ball as much. I don't find scuffs affect things as much as a dirty ball does. Not a stupid question by the way.

I believe it does, especially putting.

I cant honestly answer the question but I like to keep my golf ball clean. I normally rub the dirt off with my fingers while walking to the next hole and then just give it a quick clean with the towel.

I would guess that yes it would have an effect - the golf ball is designed in a specific manner, so any imperfections (whether that be dirt or scuffs) will have some sort of an effect but how much is another matter, and unless it is caked in mud or all split, I would hazard a guess that the majority of people would be hard pushed to see any visible difference

Personally, I will clean my ball when I mark it on the green, but usually I will lose a ball before it gets too beaten up to use

Of course any mud / dirt will have effect on ball flight etc. Aerodynamics

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Clean ball is a happy ball.

Think of it this way, all the manufacturers have different dimple patterns and numbers, they all claim different effects and flight characteristics with those different designs. So why wouldnt' some dirt, abrasions etc make some difference ??

I at least hope you clean the ball before putting.

Not sure if it does or not, but I never putt or tee off with a dirty ball. Even if it's just spitting on it with the towel, I always make sure it's clean.

It definitely helps to have a clean ball while putting. How can you get a true roll if the ball is weighted improperly because of build up on one side?

I don't think it makes any difference unless you have chunks of grass on it but scuffs? nada

I don't think it makes any difference unless you have chunks of grass on it but scuffs? nada

Honest question. Not trying to be snarky in any way.

Would a scuff not change the aerodynamics of the ball? If so, how does that not affect flight or roll in some way?

PS - I've played whole rounds with a scuffed ball before. So I'm not a new, clean ball every hole snob. Lol

Would a scuff not change the aerodynamics of the ball? If so, how does that not affect flight or roll in some way?

PS - I've played whole rounds with a scuffed ball before. So I'm not a new, clean ball every hole snob. Lol

I think it depends on how big the scuff/cut is. A little scuff here and there isn't going to change the flight that much, at least in my experience. If you have big cuts in it, then I think it can and will change the flight of the ball.

If you have a small scuff on your ball and you are riding in a cart, take the cart strap and rub it over the scuff and it will sort of smooth it out (similar to sanding a piece of wood)

If you had a gouge in it type of scuff then perhaps but personally I can't say I can blame a ball for my game if it doesn't look new. I'll hit whatever and if I hit a bad shot it's never the ball or the club. It's my swing. If Rory hit a golf ball with scuff marks on it I guarantee you he will hit it better than anyone on this forum with a brand new ball out of the box. Goes for putting too. So really imo it never comes down to the ball and I'm sure I'm wrong about that but whatever. I hit Wilson Staff balls when I play but I have hit beat up range balls as well. I don't discreminate :) scuffed or new.

I typically clean balls before teeing off and putting. Not sure that it makes a huge difference either way unless there is a noticeable mud or grass protruding from the ball, but I wipe the ball best I can when I am able to pick it up within the rules of play. If I get a minor scuff on a ball during play, I will typically finish the round with that ball then retire it after the round.

I have gotten in the habit of keeping a damp and dry towel on my bag. I have always wiped the clubs down, but lately I started wiping the ball down between holes. If I am on the green and there is mud or something on the ball, I will lick my thumb or finger and wipe it down. If for nothing else, I can't blame a dirty ball for a mistake I make.

I suppose it depends on what you mean by dirty. Grass stains or maybe a light layer of dirt....no. I'm sure those minor things would be noticeable on a launch monitor maybe, but probably not to the average golfer. Now dirt caked on the ball, filling in the dimples, yes, that makes a difference.

~Rock

Not mainly because I think it will have an effect of the ball, but for some reason i can't putt without the ball being cleaned. If I'm standing over the putt and I see the ball is dirty, I can't focus on the stroke

I rarely ever clean my ball, maybe it's laziness but I occasionally hit up the ball wash and I'll wipe the ball with my fingers but I rarely ever clean my ball. For all the clean ball people to you play lift clean and place every round?

I rarely ever clean my ball, maybe it's laziness but I occasionally hit up the ball wash and I'll wipe the ball with my fingers but I rarely ever clean my ball. For all the clean ball people to you play lift clean and place every round?

Nope, I only clean the ball when I have marked it on the green

Probably the same as the pro's, clean ball before teeing off and clean the ball once its on the green, then I clean it every time I mark on the green

If cheaters in baseball cut or gouge the ball, or add something to the surface it causes it to curve more. Pretty sure the same would be said of a golf ball that has lots of spin on it.

No science or experiments behind my statement but I would think anything on the surface of the ball will have some affect on the aerodynamics and performance of the ball. I don't necessarily clean my ball after getting on the green or next hole unless it has a chunk do dirt or grass. I have played with a scuff mark that's not to serious and will only take a ball out of play if it's being affected by an imperfection

Of course any mud / dirt will have effect on ball flight etc. Aerodynamics

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agree. Clean ball, happy ball.

I tend to put this in the same camp as whether or not to tee it up when allowed, if they let you clean your ball before you tee off and when you mark on the green, why wouldn't you? Even if the difference is minimal why leave it up to chance.

Back