Higher SS and hitting it further with a "knock down" swing.

MTC82

Reaction score
Handicap
I know it's hard to tell without seeing a swing but I was wondering if there was any explanation why I hit it further with a sawed off finish? At first I thought it was just cause I was keeping the trajectory lower but after going to a launch monitor I saw that my swing speed was actually 3-5mph faster doing that(which is quite a bit with an iron). I don't get it. Have you ever heard of anybody else being like this before, or have any guesses on why this might be the case?

Probably a better tempo.

You might have a slight early release on your stock swing that you're preventing with the knockdown. That would add a couple mph.

You might have a slight early release on your stock swing that you're preventing with the knockdown. That would add a couple mph.

Agree with this. Shorter swing is more compact, eliminates flaws in takeaway and follow through and when not trying to kill it most people swing smoother with good tempo generating more club speed.

I wonder if you also grip the club slightly less firm. Less tension in your arms lets you swing free-er....? I always try to think "faster" as opposed to "harder" when standing over the ball.

To quote my favorite crew chief in my favorite (kind of) movie: "lose is fast and on the edge of out-of-control."

The sawed off swing typically has a shorter take away and matching finishing. This action seems to be putting you in position to make an aggressive move down and through the ball. There by increasing your SS speed.

People tend to swing harder on sawed off swings, because they think they have to in order to maximize their distance.

Back