Lower Back Injury...

UglySwing

Reaction score
Handicap
Yes
Last Thu am I went to the range. I was mainly hitting my 3-iron. About 100-150 balls in, mid swing I get a bolt of electricity into my lower back.

I barely made it to my car.

Anyways, I herniated a disc (5mm herniation at L5/S1 disc)
I missed two days of work (thankfully I had Sat and Sun to recover).
Im self employed; no work means no $$$.

I've had an almost miraculous recovery. No more electric bolts when I cough or sneeze, and I can bend forward much better. But, I tried a couple of slow-mo swings today; I'm not even close to ready for that.

I will probably give it 2-4 more weeks to heal properly before I start hitting balls again.

It might be a Godsend though. I keep changing my swing, and some of the things I try don't feel good, or natural. Also, it will help me smooth out my swing. No more trying to be the long guy anymore.

I'm now 9 days into not swinging a club. I feel like an addict going through withdrawal. I'm normally at the range 1-2/X daily.

Oh man, feel better.

Feel better...don't rush back, the game will still be there.

I've started going to a chiropractor this last month, and let me tell you, it's helped out a ton! Check on out!

Don't rush it, back problems tend to linger. Good luck!

good luck coming back, hope it all works out well in the very near furture

Speaking from a little experience here, don't mess around with back injuries; liisten to your body and see a doctor. Hope you feel better soon!

Ice and rest for at least a week. Then work on flexibility and strengthening your core. I dealt with this years ago and physical therapy helped me out.

Had a similar injury! Take it slow and easy, you can you more damage if you push it before the initial injury heals. Good luck!

Ice is your friend, if you know of or have a friend who knows a good chiropractor that would be the thing to do. As soon as my back starts to hurt I go to chiropractor. I have been living with it for years and it helps every time. Back injuries can linger a long time unless taken care of.. Hope you get well soon.

My best friend is a chiropractor. I think that's why I'm feeling better so quickly. But, I'm definitely not going to mess around with this and risk a bigger injury by going back to golf to quickly.

By the way, I'm a chiropractor myself.
Can't adjust myself though.

Gosh, hope you get better quick!

In the late 90's, I did the same thing - so much range time that I felt the lightning bolt in the back. Went down. Then had a muscle spasm in the back where I could barely crawl for 3 hrs.

So get the back checked. Get a massage. Get PT.

I would counsel when you're changing your swing, use a SW, and then occasionally a lower iron. Take lots of rehearsal swings at 50-75% when you are changing your swing habits. It's tough to change a swing at 100% - baby steps.

good luck with recovery and your swing change.

Take your time and don't hurry back. Back problems is something I know all to well.

Be real careful with that injury and don't force your way back too soon. My daughter tweeked hers in September and following 3 injections, training, and treatment still not able to swing a club.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a problem with a pinched sciatic nerve. Pain can put me to my knees if I bend wrong. Have been going to chiropractor. I go to the range and hit SW, PW and 8 iron 1/2 and 3/4 swings. This has forced me to have a slower tempo and better contact. Slow recovery.

6 years ago I had L4/L5 & L5/S1 herniations in my back. Not fun. Like you I'm also self employed and it hurt in the back and the wallet. Finally had injections in my back and have been good ever since.
Before the injections I missed quite a bit of work. Self employed, running out of savings hurts.
It finally came down to working with the pain. Adrenaline is a good pain killer. As quick as the herniations happens a long month later you wake up one morning and it's gone.
Last week we were looking at family pics and there are a few with me standing crooked taking the weight off my left side to relieve the pain in my back and left leg.

Hope you you feel better and watch the unwanted stress in your life.

Take your time coming back. I have had multiple surgeries on my lower back. Take your time and swing easy. Make sure you stretch out before. Hope you get back out there soon!

Doing what I do for a living, I see so many golfers with messed up spines. I don't mean just back pain, but actually seeing their x-rays, and comparing them to someone else in their age range. I try and practice smart, but put a long iron, or driver in my hands, and I try and kill the ball every time.

The scariest part was not being able to go to work. It took everything I had to simply get out of bed to make it to the bathroom. I was worried it could take a couple weeks to a month before I made it back.

I've been meaning to hire an associate to help with my workload, and so I can have more time off; this was the impetus I needed. I kept putting it off, but I like to think this was the Lord to take care of business (and not swing so hard anymore).

Been there. It's not fun. Don't rush back. It's not worth permanent damage.

Hope it gets better sooner than later.

Find a swing that your body likes and doesn't injure itself.

Take the time away from the golf swing to lose some weight and strengthen your core muscles. What the muscles can't absorb goes to the joints and bones.

You can always practice putting while waiting to get better.

Good luck!

I can testify that lower back issues are no joke, you need to get medical advise as to when it is best to try a golf swing. The idea is to mend and return not aggravate an existing condition. Please have it looked at and follow the doctor's advise.

Last Thu am I went to the range. I was mainly hitting my 3-iron. About 100-150 balls in, mid swing I get a bolt of electricity into my lower back.

I barely made it to my car.

Anyways, I herniated a disc (5mm herniation at L5/S1 disc)
I missed two days of work (thankfully I had Sat and Sun to recover).
Im self employed; no work means no $$$.

I've had an almost miraculous recovery. No more electric bolts when I cough or sneeze, and I can bend forward much better. But, I tried a couple of slow-mo swings today; I'm not even close to ready for that.

I will probably give it 2-4 more weeks to heal properly before I start hitting balls again.

It might be a Godsend though. I keep changing my swing, and some of the things I try don't feel good, or natural. Also, it will help me smooth out my swing. No more trying to be the long guy anymore.

I'm now 9 days into not swinging a club. I feel like an addict going through withdrawal. I'm normally at the range 1-2/X daily.
From a man who had a scare 4 weeks ago I feel your pain I have 2 bulging discs and am overweight. Since the scare I have lost 18 lbs and I feel great. Not that you need to lose any weight but the back is the WORST pain I have ever felt don't rush the recovery it isn't worth it

From a man who had a scare 4 weeks ago I feel your pain I have 2 bulging discs and am overweight. Since the scare I have lost 18 lbs and I feel great. Not that you need to lose any weight but the back is the WORST pain I have ever felt don't rush the recovery it isn't worth it

Im 6'3" and 210 pounds. So my weight isn't bad...but my waist, courtesy of a deep fondness for a cold beer, is the biggest it's ever been.
I'm committed to getting down to 190.
Sometimes these things can be a blessing in disguise as you finally get your kick in the arse, to get off your arse.

18 pounds is impressive. Good work!

You are basically identical in size to myself. I feel like 185-190 is where i want to be as well. My work is the mostly cause of my back problems, but playing or practicing a lot after aggravating it will only exacerbate the issue. My goals this year is to work on my flexibility and strengthen my core some. I hope you get to feeling better, as never knowing what your back is going to feel like sucks.

So my weight isn't bad...but my waist, courtesy of a deep fondness for a cold beer, is the biggest it's ever been.
I'm committed to getting down to 190.

That's why I need to walk while playing golf. I need to walk off my 3 cold beers a day.

Back