Driver aerodynamics

Reaction score
Handicap
So one of the big marketing movements seems to be aerodynamics of driver heads, Callaway+Boeing, Ping+Batman etc. But I can't see how this is meant to benefit a regular golfer? My swing speed is what it is as that's how fast I feel comfortable swinging the clubhead controllably, I'm not reaching terminal velocity of the aerodynamics at any point. I can swing harder or softer without a problem so how does a very marginally more aerodynamic head help?

dont get me wrong, I'm looking to buy a new driver and the two mentioned above are big contenders, I am also a fan of some of the crown designs. Just wondering if anyone can give a real explanation as to benefit which isn't just so you can put some impressive numbers on marketing materials (like loft jacking in irons)

Driver aerodynamics

I would think that reducing the drag on the head of the club would result in increased swing speed for any given amount of force applied.

Think of it like a car. Improving the aerodynamics will allow a car to go faster when the same amount of power is applied (or the same speed with less power).

...but I do think any gains for the normal Joe are minimal at best and it's mostly about marketing.

So one of the big marketing movements seems to be aerodynamics of driver heads, Callaway+Boeing, Ping+Batman etc. But I can't see how this is meant to benefit a regular golfer? My swing speed is what it is as that's how fast I feel comfortable swinging the clubhead controllably, I'm not reaching terminal velocity of the aerodynamics at any point. I can swing harder or softer without a problem so how does a very marginally more aerodynamic head help?

dont get me wrong, I'm looking to buy a new driver and the two mentioned above are big contenders, I am also a fan of some of the crown designs. Just wondering if anyone can give a real explanation as to benefit which isn't just so you can put some impressive numbers on marketing materials (like loft jacking in irons)

An aerodynamic head will make acceleration easier - less force against the club head that you have to work against. It's a small change, but even 1mph at impact makes a difference of a few yards. And if you can do that while keeping the overall weight and feel of the club the same, you're not losing any control.

I highly doubt the effectiveness of most aerodynamic features on drivers. I could be completely wrong, but I just don't believe the forces involved are big enough to really make a difference.

Last year I tested the Ping G30 (equipped with the amazing turbulators) against my AMP Cell. After 10 swings with each club, there was a whopping 1 mph difference in speed (100 vs. 99) in favor of the G30, which could easily be explained by the fact that my AMP Cell plays at 44.75", and the G30 at 45.75".

The improvements in drag are probably non linear. 90 mph you barely notice it but the long drive guys probably makes a 2-3 mph improvement.

If they want to improve aerodynamics then they need to come up with a dimpled head. Of course, this would hurt them in the aesthetics department.

The aerodynamics are pretty much snake oil until you're swinging faster than 100mph. Beyond that though the benefits are real--you can get another 1-2mph club head speed which can be a few yards further on your drives.

The aerodynamics are pretty much snake oil until you're swinging faster than 100mph. Beyond that though the benefits are real--you can get another 1-2mph club head speed which can be a few yards further on your drives.

This is inaccurate FWIW. Aerodynamics DO matter and they DO effect things all over the spectrum. The issue becomes that to really max out the benefit from aerodynamics you would have to lose the face size which would defeat the purpose.

There is a reason every single OEM out there takes aerodynamics into the equation and try to manipulate/alter the shape to maximize them within the parameters which they are bound.

Far from snake oil.

This is a good watch

[video=youtube_share;5d-DWLp15q0]http://youtu.be/5d-DWLp15q0[/video]

While I am not the smartest or well rehearsed on aerodynamics, what makes you think that they don't help to some degree? Not directed at anyone in particular. Just a general question.

An object moving at 60, 70, 80 or even 110mph will always benefit from better aerodynamics. Physics are physics, are they not? I highly doubt there is some exact number where aerodynamics do and don't work. If they work at 110mph, they will work at 85mph. One may see more benefit but both will be benefited in some way. The benefits may not be measurable for some of us. Especially with store quality launch monitors and other devices. Just because you can't measure the difference doesn't mean it isn't there. There is a BIG difference between a difference being there and difference being measured in some way.

If I test a solution for a certain chemical and don't find that chemical, does that mean it isn't there? Or does it mean it doesn't fall within my measurable/detectable limits? It's all about the tools we have to measure what we are looking for.

I think what he was saying is someone swinging 90 mph might get an increase of 0.3 mph while someone swinging 120 mph might get an increase of 2 mph

I think what he was saying is someone swinging 90 mph might get an increase of 0.3 mph while someone swinging 120 mph might get an increase of 2 mph

But both saw an increase, correct?

I am not arguing whether the increase is "large" enough or "worth" it. Just that there should be an increase at almost every level. How much increase is going to be highly dependent. Especially if a human being is the tester.

But both saw an increase, correct?

I am not arguing whether the increase is "large" enough or "worth" it. Just that there should be an increase at almost every level. How much increase is going to be highly dependent. Especially if a human being is the tester.
Everyone will have an increase for sure. Even if is just a tiny bit.

Good points, thanks everyone!

I completely understand that aerodynamics equals the ability to faster with the same force, I suppose I was coming from the side that it's the speed of my upper body that I limit, not necessarily the force I put into the swing.

but yeah I can see it's all part of a big set of variables and I like the looks of the XR16 for example, it makes you think it will go faster :)

Aerodynamics is important, I'm in the situation where my problems are lapses in my swing rather than anything equipment related. But if something gives you confidence and has been "scientifically" proven to go faster, sure, that could be a big boost.

I highly doubt the effectiveness of most aerodynamic features on drivers. I could be completely wrong, but I just don't believe the forces involved are big enough to really make a difference.

Last year I tested the Ping G30 (equipped with the amazing turbulators) against my AMP Cell. After 10 swings with each club, there was a whopping 1 mph difference in speed (100 vs. 99) in favor of the G30, which could easily be explained by the fact that my AMP Cell plays at 44.75", and the G30 at 45.75".

I agree. It is great marking and the different crown looks are interesting, but I doubt it has any or at least very impact on SS. Faster swings for many players can lead to trouble if there is a huge increase which I doubt there is.

Better aerodynamics doesn't necessarily mean you'll hit the ball better. It just means the club head has the potential of traveling faster. If you don't make contact in the correct spot on the face of the driver the ball isn't going where you want it to go anyway.

Back