Worst People you have run into on the course?

Why weren't you able to go to your ball?

Well because my other two in the group would have been hitting into me. I was way up the fairway and it took them 2 - 3 shots to get past my ball. I'm not going to stand int he line of fire, but if I was off on one side and they were on the other side and all within a similar distance, or if I was way off where I know they couldn't hit into me, I'd be all over my ball, but I was up in the fairway, so no I was not going to go stand by my ball with my dad and the other guy hitting into me.

Plus, my dad needs help seeing where his ball went and finding his balls more often than not, and I also enjoy to spend the time with him. plus by the time we get to my ball, I can line up and hit quick.

Last edited:
Thanks Wade.And I'm not a beginner been playing casual golf for a long time.Just can't get this game it frustrates me to no end.I hate picking up the ball,this is one year I'm going to play every shot out.No matter the score or how long it takes.This is why I'm taking a ton of lessons so i can be competitive with others

Just keep in mind that when you pitch your ball over the green for the third time while people stand and wait, they ARE going to get frustrated, and rightfully so. It's no fun to make a 14 on hole, and it's also no fun to watch someone make a 14 on a hole.

I've been playing golf for 40 years. I score primarily in the 90's and 80's. I still sometimes have awful holes and if people are waiting for me, I still pick up.

Taking lessons is great. I highly encourage it. I also highly encourage you to try to play every shot - as long as you can do it at a pace that keeps everyone having fun. But no matter how good you get, there are going to be times when the right thing to do is pick up to preserve pace of play and everyone's good mood.

Wow this thread got seriously jacked. It wasn't meant to turn into a war between internet golfers. It was simply meant to have people tell a story about the worst person they have run into at the course, someone who like in my situation was an A-Hole, and had no game to back up his trash talk.

I didn't let him bother me, I just poked at him when I got the chance just to give him back the dish he tried to serve. He opened himself up to it by being a A-hole, had he come up nicely like most do, and asked us to let him play through, we would have obliged, but the fact that he dropped major attitude like he was a top notch golfer, then proceeded to play like crap right in front of us. Well he deserved to be given back what he dished out. only I did it back to him jokingly because it was just fun to push the button on him.

Well because my other two in the group would have been hitting into me. I was way up the fairway and it took them 2 - 3 shots to get past my ball. I'm not going to stand int he line of fire, but if I was off on one side and they were on the other side and all within a similar distance, or if I was way off where I know they couldn't hit into me, I'd be all over my ball, but I was up in the fairway, so no I was not going to go stand by my ball with my dad and the other guy hitting into me.

Plus, my dad needs help seeing where his ball went and finding his balls more often than not, and I also enjoy to spend the time with him. plus by the time we get to my ball, I can line up and hit quick.
Interesting. OK. That's not how I was taught, but that's fine.

I can deal with slow play...can't stand people who take constant mulligans, foot wedges, and 10 ft gimmes, and then hear them afterwards in the clubhouse talking about how they broke 80...shouldn't bother me but it does

I played with two from work years ago that never shot more than a bogey. It was amazing. The FedEx commercial "don't count that" we're these two guys to a tee! I didn't really care as it didn't affect my game as I don't usually play for money or competition.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Wade
I'm a hundred plus shooter and that is with a lot of pick ups or gimmies.Im not trying to be a "Richard" here,but this year I'm going to play everything out.Only way my pro said I will improve.Im sure I will still be 100'plus even from the red tees.Again, been playing for 25 years,just a very very hard game for me.And I do feel sorry for my partners and people behind me as well.I just can't help it,I'm very bad at this game

I haven't met too many jerks on the course. The worst was a partner I had YEARS ago in an after-work league. He had no regard for anyone other than himself. As an example, I'd be in my backswing and he'd just yell out asking me how far he was from the green! And when he'd miss a putt, the obscenities would be heard all over the course. I tried talking to him about this, but to no avail. Our partnership lasted one season, and he couldn't understand why I told him to find a new partner.

Wade
I'm a hundred plus shooter and that is with a lot of pick ups or gimmies.Im not trying to be a "Richard" here,but this year I'm going to play everything out.Only way my pro said I will improve.Im sure I will still be 100'plus even from the red tees.Again, been playing for 25 years,just a very very hard game for me.And I do feel sorry for my partners and people behind me as well.I just can't help it,I'm very bad at this game

Being bad can be corrected. Being bad with no regard for others is a different story. I wish I had a magic bit of advice for you, but I don't.

My dad taught me when I was young that
"You're allowed to suck at golf, we all do. You are not allowed to suck slowly.".

I'm one of the people that ask that you stay behind me, sorry. I usually have only a slight idea where the ball will go in front of me. :alien: :act-up:

It's interesting to me. On the rare occasion that I hit further than my playing partners I usually just march straight to my ball and get ready to hit it but more and more often recently playing partners get bothered by it and want me to stay back. I'm all about playing fast but I try not to be rude and I guess the line is thinner than I thought.

I am frequently longer than my playing partners. This year in a league match, I drove up to my ball and waited at 90°. My opponents yelled at me and said I was rude. I asked him if I should just wait with the rest of the group and progress up the hole in a line? Of course he said yes. I then said that's why 9 holes takes 3 hours in this league.

I'm one of the people that ask that you stay behind me, sorry. I usually have only a slight idea where the ball will go in front of me. :alien: :act-up:
I would tell you to hit it past me ;p

We had a similar experience a couple weeks ago at Black Bear up in Eustis. My daughter and I were a 2-some and the course was really backed up. We were waiting on every shot and most times we were on the tee before the group ahead of us teed off. I don't think this is that unusual for that course so it honestly wasn't bothering me. We got to 10 tee and the group ahead of the group ahead of us had just finished teeing off the group in front of us asked us if we wanted to play through. There were 4 groups on the hole so I told him not to worry about it, we weren't in a big hurry. There were super nice - looked like an older couple with maybe their son and grand-son. Anyway...we get to 11 green and my daughter had a 5 foot par putt and I had about a 4 footer. She missed it and while I was replacing my ball and getting ready to put she raked hers back and hit it again. Now, this didn't take any extra time - she just did it while I was getting ready - the guys on the tee start screaming f-this and f-that and "are you f-ing kidding..." etc. When we're walking to the cart they're yelling "can you f-ing walk slower" etc. She was like "Dad, are they yelling at us?" I told her to just ignore them.

We were still on the tee when they pulled up and none of them said a word....so we get to like 14 or 15 - a short par 5. I had about 220 in downwind and she was about 30 yards ahead of me. The group ahead wasn't on the green when we got to my ball. I decided to just lay up to keep things moving even though it was reachable...so I hit as soon as they cleared to layup area. We got my daughter's ball and she was asking me if she should hit her 5W (about 175 club or her and it was a 190ish shot) or just layup - we'd been at her ball less than 10 seconds and the &^&^%%$ behind us start yelling again "Hit the F-ing ball!" I turned around and yelled back "They're on the f-ing green!!" Not a proud moment and not what I want to teach my daughter. They never said another word and never spoke to us on the tee.

All the THPers at Live Club testing. Joking, lol. Everyone was great! Very rarely do I run into a bad group of people. Ill just move on if I do.

Early summer 2014, I playing behind a group who had been over-served to say the least. I recognized two of the guys as being members of my club but never got close enough to see who the other two were. For the two guys I recognized, unfortunately, the following isn't unusual behavior.

On #16, "Hank", a member of my club, destroyed the bumper of a golf cart with a brand new Vokey, also destroying the Vokey in the process. When I turned him in to the clubhouse, along with cell phone video, I noticed one of the guys in the group, who was also over-served, was a fairly well known local minister! The guy working the club that day is a buddy of these guys. I assumed he would be professional about the situation and turn them in to the GM given "Hank" was on probation already. The guy working didn't turn anyone in and was later fired for repeated, similar behavior.

Back