Dog Food for older dogs

annsguy

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
My3Kids
I have a 12 year old English Setter, He is the best athlete in our house. I am noticing that his is starting to have issues in his hips. I guess he and I are getting a bit older. I wonder if anyone had suggestions on what to feed him as he ages. I notice that there are Senior dog food. choices He is a great dog and I just want him to be as healthy as possible.

Our dog continued to eat Costco food when his hips started going and he got older - it is surprisingly high quality. We also supplemented his diet with gluocasimine and for a while something else from the vet that I can't remember. I like that you are being proactive about helping your guy. Good move.

My buddy Moe is a 14 year old chow - lab mix, he gets a 2-3 of cups of Nutro senior food, a Gluocasimine tablet, and some jerky treats and pretty much anything else he wants :act-up: The Nutro seems to be good for him, he eats it all (not surprising) and his bowel movements are pretty regular. We have a lot of young kids in the area where we live so he has a lot of "friends" to play with and stay active. We had two 7 year olds knock on the door last week asking to take Moe for a walk. He was more than happy to go!

We feed the dogs dry food with the glucosamine in it as well as a glucosamine "treat" after they eat their breakfast. After Bandit's problems I will always include that in their diet.

Our old dogs are on Science Diet active longevity. It definitely helped when they switched to it 5 or 6 years ago. Now they are 13 and almost 16. So now they take Dasuquin (glucosamine) and the older one started taking meloxican? about a month ago.

We gave our dog Dasiquin as a supplement but no food change.

Our old dogs are on Science Diet active longevity. It definitely helped when they switched to it 5 or 6 years ago. Now they are 13 and almost 16. So now they take Dasuquin (glucosamine) and the older one started taking meloxican? about a month ago.
I think meloxican was the thing that I couldn't remember that we gave to our dog. It definitely helped

Ellie is 12 and she had has 2 ACL surgeries and has arthritis so the surgeon who did her ACL surgery recommended these https://anmpharm.com/product/zoom-soft-chews/.

She get's a 1/2 a chew daily with breakfast.
We get them the same type of thing from Sam's now. We were getting a bigger tub with 240 chews in them through a pet supply place online but decided these stay fresher since they are in an 80 chew package.

We feed the dogs dry food with the glucosamine in it as well as a glucosamine "treat" after they eat their breakfast. After Bandit's problems I will always include that in their diet.

Yes, what Smallville said!

Science Diet for our dog.

We get them the same type of thing from Sam's now. We were getting a bigger tub with 240 chews in them through a pet supply place online but decided these stay fresher since they are in an 80 chew package.
Mind sharing a pic of the package when you get a minute? Our old timer is 12, he gets Purina Vibrant Maturity. Started a glucosamine supplement (even though the science isnt solid) along with a mature vitamin. Vet said he was was suffering severe arthritis...of course this was after we went on a 5 mile hike with him dragging us along, jumping up on the exam table, and pretty much acting like a puppy.

Riddled with arthritis for sure lol.

My 12 yr old min pin was diagnosed w/ Lymphoma a few weeks ago and her appetite has all but disappeared. I went to Pet Supermarket yesterday and picked up some refrigerated wet food and thankfully Kahlua gobbled it up. Full meals for dinner yesterday and breakfast this morning. The brand is Freshpet and she seems to enjoy it.

My 12 yr old min pin was diagnosed w/ Lymphoma a few weeks ago and her appetite has all but disappeared. I went to Pet Supermarket yesterday and picked up some refrigerated wet food and thankfully Kahlua gobbled it up. Full meals for dinner yesterday and breakfast this morning. The brand is Freshpet and she seems to enjoy it.

Freshpet is a big brand and were featured in a smaller capacity on the show The Profit. So sorry to hear about your little one.

I am so sorry Troy! That is wonderful that she gobbled that up.

I remember when Duke got sick, I was so excited when he would eat something. I hope she keeps that up!

Sorry about Kahlua's issues. Hate it.

After ours had her stroke, she was put on BLUE products. She actually seems to be doing pretty well for a 43lb dog that just turned 14.
(outside of the glucosamine supplements, and quarterly infections she seems to get; urinary, ear, sinus, eye.....)

Sorry to hear about Kahlua Troy. She's a sweet pup.

I have a 12 year old English Setter, He is the best athlete in our house. I am noticing that his is starting to have issues in his hips. I guess he and I are getting a bit older. I wonder if anyone had suggestions on what to feed him as he ages. I notice that there are Senior dog food. choices He is a great dog and I just want him to be as healthy as possible.
We got an old man in the house as well, fortunately we love him as he's cost us about a grand over the past 10 days. Precreatitis due to his dietary indiscretions over the years, he's eaten a whole load of Cuban bread, a flat of cinnamon rolls, half rack of ribs, 22 sugar cookies, dozen krispy kremes, and other stuff. He's quite the mountain goat/raccoon cross for getting on top of and into things. We feed him, on vet recommendations Purinas Vibrant Maturity (with outstanding results) and this week we switched to a proplan 7+ with a lower fat content to help the pancreatitis. That is supplemented with a prescribed Hills low fat low glucose blend.

Can't beleive how quick he bounced back, from the Sarah McLaughlin looking dog that was borderline being cut open to a vibrant ball of fur in 36-48 hours.

We have fed our dog - 14-year-old golden labrador, retired guide dog - Iams since we got her from the Guide Dog Association 5 years ago, as we were told she had always eaten that.

She is healthy, lives for food and has always gobbled down the food, until now. For the last month, she has eaten half of it quickly, then thrown lumps of food out of her dish and eventually seems to get tired of chasing it around the bowl and gives up. She doesn't like too much water mixed in with the food. It is not a general loss of appetite as she still eats almost everything else and vet has found no obvious health problem or tooth trouble.To be honest, I'd consider changing foods completely. If the Iams is costing you £10 per 3kg, you're paying £50 for 15kg, you could buy a bag of Orijen https://petapproves.com/best-dog-food-for-bulldog-reviews/ for less, which is vastly, vastly superior food (grain and cereal free, pretty much the best dry dog food around) You could buy a 15kg sack of Arden Grange for around £28, burns for around £35-£40 or maybe skinners duck and rice for £20. All so much better than iams quality wise.

Have you considered adding some Salmon oil to the food? We do that occasionally and the smell alone makes my older dog go nuts for it.

I feed mostly raw food diet for my dogs. For my recent old dogs I ended up about half kibble and half raw. For the kibble I found options with simple ingredients and proteins worked the best. The older of those two was getting finicky at the end, and I started crumbling on single organ treats, like beef heart, and/or adding goats milk. That usually did the trick. I also get bags of frozen 6" sardines, and even in the worst eating state, I've never had a dog not eat one.

Our vet recommended Natural Balance for the limited ingredients to avoid a chicken allergy. It's expensive but worth it. We shared some with a neighbor whose 10 year old ankle biter mix wasn't eating well. The little pup gobbled it up.

About once a week, our dogs get about a half a cup of pureed pumpkin mixed in with the dry. The vet says that works really well for digestion. Once in a while, when their fur mom isn't looking, they get a little bacon grease added to it.

We have fed our dog - 14-year-old golden labrador, retired guide dog - Iams since we got her from the Guide Dog Association 5 years ago, as we were told she had always eaten that.

She is healthy, lives for food and has always gobbled down the food, until now. For the last month, she has eaten half of it quickly, then thrown lumps of food out of her dish and eventually seems to get tired of chasing it around the bowl and gives up. She doesn't like too much water mixed in with the food. It is not a general loss of appetite as she still eats almost everything else and vet has found no obvious health problem or tooth trouble.To be honest, I'd consider changing foods completely. If the Iams is costing you £10 per 3kg, you're paying £50 for 15kg, you could buy a bag of Orijen https://petapproves.com/best-dog-food-for-bulldog-reviews/ for less, which is vastly, vastly superior food (grain and cereal free, pretty much the best dry dog food around) You could buy a 15kg sack of Arden Grange for around £28, burns for around £35-£40 or maybe skinners duck and rice for £20. All so much better than iams quality wise.

Orijen is one of the best foods for a but, but it's an extremely high protein dog food. It can cause your dog's stool to be soft. We fed that to our dogs (2 Labradors) for 1-2 years and eventually switched to Acana which is made in Kentucky. It's $10-15/bag cheaper and my dogs eat it up.

Back