Jason Day's Putter

jim54

must be the shafts
Reaction score
Handicap
A while back I went looking for one like he uses and of course it is a prototype itsy bitsy (I think) from what I could find out. Spoke to a CS rep on TM's website and asked if they sold them and he told me they did but only a limited run and never again.

Seems like really poor planning /marketing to have a guy like Jason Day playing well and a great spokesperson for their Brand to not put his Putter type on the Market and promote it as such.

Even if it were real close but not exactly the same they could sell a lot of these putters, maybe thousands of them. With TM's not so great recent Business Model any big seller to bring in the folks would seem to be a good idea to me.

I know Taylormade has a vault that sells limited edition items and one of them was his putter, I check in there once in awhile to do some window shopping.

I agree that there is no reason not to cash in on his success. As you said, a retail version, very close to his actual putter, would be the way to go to generate some profits.

Im in the other camp, I think going the vault route with these and releasing a limited number was smarter than a full release. Putters aren't the area you necessarily want a big release push right now unless your name is Odyssey, Cameron, or you have something really game changing. TM makes solid putters, but I think they know it's not ever where their bread and butter will be.

Just my take though, I do see both sides.

Agree with JMAN - this will have limited appeal so allow the demand to keep the price up.

I had a center shafted itsy bitsy in 08 or 09, love that putter but eventually the face inserted got damaged and that was all she wrote.

Im in the other camp, I think going the vault route with these and releasing a limited number was smarter than a full release. Putters aren't the area you necessarily want a big release push right now unless your name is Odyssey, Cameron, or you have somethibg really game changing. TM makes solid putters, but I think they know it's not ever where their bread and butter will be.

Just my take though, I do see both sides.

Jman is wise, great post.

Here is a video of how his putter gets made --

I find it fascinating that it all starts as a stock head!

Excellent video, thanks that was really cool. Sure is amazing the amount of work that goes into a Pro's gear.

It is great to get different opinions and Jman's point is well taken, there does appear to be a Market for extremely high end Putters to a select crowd. I am not a putter collector and would pay a reasonable amount for one to game, but not thousands to have it sit around.

I used to watch that video over and over. I want to try making one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back