Do you have a certain shot distance that you dread?

Bullitt5339

Reaction score
Handicap
I had never really thought about it before yesterday. We had GPS in the cart, so I was aware of exact approach distances all day and I noticed a trend. I can't reliably hit 65 yard shots and I seemed to get stuck with them quite a bit once I became aware of that fact....:banghead: A full 58* wedge for me is 80 yards, half swing is 50 yards. When I tried to hit it 3/4, I would usually leave it short of the green.

I think this is something I'm going to have to work hard on and find a club/swing combination that works for me.

200+

I used to hate the in between wedge distances, but with a lot of trial and error and practice, I don't mind them at all now. I don't even care what the distance is anymore.

180-200+ with a forced carry. I feel like I am so in between with that yardage and if I hit it well I can clear it but I tend to get inside my head and hit those shots poorly. I generally take the safe route and lay up.

175+...just not enough consistency with irons at that range and am awful with hybo off the deck

190-230+ yards...3 wood is no good.

I had never really thought about it before yesterday. We had GPS in the cart, so I was aware of exact approach distances all day and I noticed a trend. I can't reliably hit 65 yard shots and I seemed to get stuck with them quite a bit once I became aware of that fact....:banghead: A full 58* wedge for me is 80 yards, half swing is 50 yards. When I tried to hit it 3/4, I would usually leave it short of the green.

I think this is something I'm going to have to work hard on and find a club/swing combination that works for me.

Mine used to be 100 yards because it was too short for my PW and too long for my old gap wedge. Then I realized my gap was too lofted and left 8 degrees between the clubs and replaced it with a new gap that was closer to my PW and has made 100 one of my favorite yardages.

For your problem, have you tried a half swing on your 54 for that yardage? Seems if a half on the 58* is too short, a half on a 54* might work. Just a thought.

60-90 yards. Fat or long every time it seems.

I'm not usually real fond of 50 foot putts. Lots of three putts from that range.

2 distances: anything over 200 yards where I have to get the ball around the green, and between 50 and 80 yards. 80 yards is a full lob wedge for me, and I've figured out that a 1/2 swing with the lob wedge gets me about 50 yards, but I can't get comfortable between those 2 numbers.

140. It puts me in between clubs and I can never seem to club myself correctly if the shot is uphill/downhill/in wind.

125. Right between two wedges. That shot makes me sweat.

50-100 yards. It's definitely a weakness in my game, I'm no good at hitting partial wedges. I do a pretty good job of managing the course so I don't see that distance.

Depends on what part of my game is blowing up that day. At some point I'm good or bad from any distance.

3 of them. 1- Should almost go without saying, but anything really long, which for me is 220+. My 5w is comfortably 215 and that's the longest non-driver in my bag so anything much longer and I'm laying up. 2-Any ridiculously long and windy putt. Say 60+ feet. And if forced to just pick one, this next one would be it, 3- a 60-70 yard shot. My 64° wedge goes 80 very reliably, and from about 50 yards and in I'm very comfortable hitting pretty much any shot, but I can't seem to hit a 3/4 shot with my wedges so the 60-70 range kills me. To the point where if I don't have any trouble to go over I'll often putt with my 8i.

110-115 mark. Right in between my 51* & 56*. No matter which club I pick, it's always the wrong one.

I'm with a few of you guys. Anything between 50 and 75 yards and you can hear my knees knocking from across the course.

Any yardage with the ball on a side hill lie. Never goes as planned

110-115 mark. Right in between my 51* & 56*. No matter which club I pick, it's always the wrong one.

For me, with my wedges only, I like to hit the higher lofted club and hit it a bit harder. Makes me pull it with lower lofted clubs, but seems to work with wedges.

Right now, anything 600 yards and in.

Any yardage with the ball on a side hill lie. Never goes as planned

Ball below my feet never bugs me. Ball above my feet I'm often better off chipping to a flat spot and hitting from there. Left, right, fat, thin, they can all happen to me then :(

Like so many above, +/- 200 with forced carry though my new Altitude 4 & 5 hyrons are making it less stressful.

Tappin' instead of Ballroom right now.

All shots that are OUTSIDE of 60 yards. So, lots of them!

I don't really have a shot that I fear. There are ones that I struggle with but I don't fear any shot. The way I see it is that I got myself into the situation now I have to get myself out. I think that's where course management comes into play. If you are uncomfortable with a 65 yard shot, try and get yourself to 80 yards then.

Next time faced with that distance, choke down 2" and take a normal swing.

I hate 265-270 on par 5 for second shots. I know I can get there but it has to be close to perfect. I hate laying up in par 5s.

Back