Palm Springs 1st Visit

ghost5

Reaction score
Handicap
Hey everyone, my wife and I have our first Palm Springs trip booked Oct 25th to Nov 2nd. I'd like to get 5-7 rounds in, so I'd like to know what are the must plays there. Please keep in mind my wife is a beginner so we want to make sure the courses are enjoyable for her as well. Any info on which courses should top the list would be awesome, thanks.

Indian Wells is a must. Tradition if you can get on is also a treat.

Step 1 is to see what courses will be open for that week, as there are a lot of courses that close for overseeding in early Fall:

http://www.visitgreaterpalmsprings.com/2014-palm-springs-golf-overseed-dates

Next step is to decide on what you want to spend. With a new golfer, you may want to checkout the Cimarron Pebble course, which is closer to Palm Springs than La Quinta or beyond.

Fisherman's Market and Grill in Palm Desert is a place I eat every time I visit the area.

Hey everyone, my wife and I have our first Palm Springs trip booked Oct 25th to Nov 2nd. I'd like to get 5-7 rounds in, so I'd like to know what are the must plays there. Please keep in mind my wife is a beginner so we want to make sure the courses are enjoyable for her as well. Any info on which courses should top the list would be awesome, thanks.

My wife & I are are doing our first trip there on sep 25th thru 30th, tee-times at Indian Wells (2 x Players & 2 x Celebrity). We're both high cappers (22/35) . I'll subscribe to this thread and post my wife's impressions for your wife

I played Mission Hills, Pete Dye at Mission Hills, Norman at Mission Hills, Cimmarron, Escena, PGA West Stadium course, Indian Wells Players course, and Indian Canyon while I was there and loved all of them. They were so freaking nice I felt like I was on another planet.

My favourite was the Pete Dye at Mission Hills probably because I played awesome so its nothing but great memories. Here's some pics of it.

699cd7a59d4d56f141c8b43d5ec4f48e.jpg
41152c4550186be87d748cc67448a539.jpg
d19e52c4e316d8dc63da39649c5a0601.jpg

70ae403b00858619d4156085f2181130.jpg

ArmyGolf -> looks like imported "BC water" holes to me :)

Indian Wells, Desert Willow, Silver Rock, and PGA West (TPC Stadium Course) are some of my favorites. Just played Desert Willow about a 2 weeks ago and it's in beautiful condition.

I was in that area last spring. I really liked playing the PGA West Norman course. I played with an older couple, they both had a blast also!
The La Quinta Mountain course is tough. I would not recommend that course if your wife is a "beginner".
Mission Hills and Indian Wells will be my next trip, but I hear they are terrific!

Pete dye mission hills. Awesome course. I played it a few times last October. There was 1 time per day on golf now for $20 for 18 and a ride. I gobbled those up for several days in a row. I would highly recommend checking golf now.

I have a good friend that snowbirds in Palm Springs, the wife and I spend a week with him and his wife every winter. He uses a local service to get our tee times. This company calls all the courses each evening to get a list of their open tee times. You call them and they get you on for half price. The good news is the price, the bad news you must be willing to play when times are available.

Thanks for all the info, I've booked Mission Hills Player Course, TPC West Stadium, Desert Willow Mountain, Indian Wells Celebrity and Cimarron Boulders. Unfortunately quite a few are closed for overseeding, Mission Hills Dye and Indian Wells Players are two I'm bummed about. Oh well, it sounds like a perfect excuse to go back. Should be fun!

Thanks for all the info, I've booked Mission Hills Player Course, TPC West Stadium, Desert Willow Mountain, Indian Wells Celebrity and Cimarron Boulders. Unfortunately quite a few are closed for overseeding, Mission Hills Dye and Indian Wells Players are two I'm bummed about. Oh well, it sounds like a perfect excuse to go back. Should be fun!
TPC West is awesome. Probably as close to the Mecca of golf as you can get. The Gary Player at Mission Hills has some absolutely breathtaking holes. I remember being stunned at the beauty of a few of them.

I didn't notice the slope on TPC West Stadium until after I booked it. Could be a beating for the ego lol.

I didn't notice the slope on TPC West Stadium until after I booked it. Could be a beating for the ego lol.
Yep. Bring a bunch of golf balls.

We'll ghost... Just got back from playing Indian wells ( both courses) ball eaters fee sure. Celebrity course was pretty, would have been better when all the flowers were in bloom. My wife enjoyed both courses and shot a personal best 100 on the players course. I think she could have shaved a couple more off due to slow play last 5 holes. She says she would go back in spring before the heat sets in.

Thanks for the info Gizmo.

If you or your wife are Pete Dye design fans you'll have a blast. If not, then its going to be a long day. Good luck!

The Westin is beautiful ; great golf there too . The player course is tough but fair

Played Escena when I was out there for an overnight 3 weeks ago. Was recommended by the guys at the PGA superstore. Great course and in great condition. People were great. I would recommend this place for sure. Check their own website for tee time pricing at it was cheaper than golfnow as well. I will play again if I am ever out there.

Played Escena when I was out there for an overnight 3 weeks ago. Was recommended by the guys at the PGA superstore. Great course and in great condition. People were great. I would recommend this place for sure. Check their own website for tee time pricing at it was cheaper than golfnow as well. I will play again if I am ever out there.
Escena has a great layout and some fun holes.
No driving range though so we make it the 2nd of two rounds in a day.

My wife and I stayed at Mission Hills in January and I played the Gary Player course. It was beautiful and not overly difficult. Excellent course. The resort was great too. We're probably going to head back to Palm Springs in December. I'm thinking about maybe staying at Indian Wells this time. Glad to see you guys recommending the Indian Wells courses.

Trip was a success, thanks for the info to help make the decision's on which courses easier. I enjoyed every track I played, but Indian Wells and Desert Willow really stood out for me. I would definitely play them over and over again.

Back