Callaway Big Bertha V-Series Fairway Wood Review

I went 3W/5W and could not be happier. The 3W is a monster from the tee and when the ball is sitting up, can be very awesome off the deck. The 5W is just automatic from the fairway and rough, truly a game changer for me. My favorite part is that I don't lose any yardage with the 5W from the deck, it flies like off a tee. I play mine with the Speeder 565 and it has been a great pairing.

I believe when statements like this are made, his move would be to buy a driving iron instead. #HeIsLearningThough

Why does the heavenwood need another shaft? AMart needs the ball elevated and the stock shaft in the V-Series 3w he's gaming is doing exactly that.

Tell ya' my experience since I own or owned all of the BBV Fairways. I needed elevation in the 3 wood, and the BBV stock shaft fills the bill. The 19 deg 5 wood also elevates well. I had consistency issues with the Heavenwood in stock form -- a good possibility it was me -- so he may want the stock shaft, but if it doesn't do the job ...

I can get a little hook-y with it but otherwise this club is just money.

First tee - zero warm up, I sprinted to the tee to make my tee time, put a peg in the ground and took a smooth swing. I lasered it back to the tee at 227 into a gentle head wind. I'll take that every day.

11th tee, a 558 par 5, again into the head wind. The tees were up but still...I hit it off the tee to the end of the fairway, a spot I've never reached with driver. I hit a poor 2nd shot with the V but ended up 50 yards short of the green. Again, the tees were up but I'll take 3w, 3w to just short of a par 5.

18th hole, I hit a bullet off the deck, coming a yard short of a green side lake.

My only complaint is that I wasn't smart enough to hit it off the tee more often :)

Looking around for a 3w I came across one with a Mitsubishi Diamana (White) D+, does anyone have any experience comparing to the Aldila Tour Green? Mainly interested in ball flight and how the stiff with the Diamana compares to the Tour Green. Thanks.

This club is just silly easy to hit. I went to work on this part of the bag during my range session today, but after hitting 5 straight off the deck that went high and straight and landed at about 225 I just put it back in the bag and moved on. Good is good.

Thought this deserves a good bump.
Playing again this weekend just reaffirms my love for this line of FW's, they may not be for everyone, but these clubs are incredibly easy to hit!

A real pleasure.
As a high handicapper, it's refreshing to make a swing and have confidence in the club to produce results!

I am more than likely going to get this 3 wood over the XR. I just love everything about the V-series.

I've had the 3w in my bag for a little more than a month now and the wow factor is still there for me. From the tee or deck I know that a smooth easy swing on my part is going to produce a nice long, semi high ball flight. As others have said, even with my high handicap and not very consistent swing I know that this thing will flat out perform for me when called upon.

There is a 200 yard par three on my home course that is really tight from the box. To short for driver and not quite reachable, with out swinging out of my shoes, for a hybrid. Before I would play a long iron lay up and be happy with getting there in two. The last four weeks I've managed to be on the green or damn close every time. Resulting in pars on a hole I used to settle for bogey on.

Had the S+ 62 from the old Optiforce 440 driver put into the BBV 5w. The Bassara gave me a nice and high flight but felt like I lost a few yards compared to my old XHP 5w. First round after the shaft change indicated positive results even though I only got to use it a couple times, flight came down to a more boring mid to mid high flight and took the whippiness of the Bassara out of play. Can't comment on whether dispersion has tightened since I haven't hit it enough times, but happy with the feel and flight so far.

I have the BBV 3-wood with the bassara shaft, and an X2 hot with the tour green. I cant help thinking that putting the tour green-shaft in the BBV would be ideal, because the bassara is a little soft I think and I do tend to hook with it. Gah, decisions decisions, any good advice on this? :D It will mostly be used as an off the tee-club for days when the driver is off.

I have the BBV 3-wood with the bassara shaft, and an X2 hot with the tour green. I cant help thinking that putting the tour green-shaft in the BBV would be ideal, because the bassara is a little soft I think and I do tend to hook with it. Gah, decisions decisions, any good advice on this? :D It will mostly be used as an off the tee-club for days when the driver is off.
I played the Tour Green in my V heavenwood and loved it.

The Tour Green will likely bring the ball flight down a little and offer tighter side to side dispersion. I have a BBV 3 wood also and play a Fuji Speeder 665 shaft in it. Tried the Bassara in a HW and was not a fan. Very high hooks were all I could get out of it.

Heavenwood is en route. Will be here Tuesday and reshafted/hotmelted by Friday, on course Saturday. Can't wait

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I played the Tour Green in my V heavenwood and loved it.

Did you do anything to modify swing weight? And did you cut the shaft down 1/4 inch to match the standard BBV-length (now im assuming you took a shaft from an X2 hot which might be wrong)? :)

The Tour Green will likely bring the ball flight down a little and offer tighter side to side dispersion. I have a BBV 3 wood also and play a Fuji Speeder 665 shaft in it. Tried the Bassara in a HW and was not a fan. Very high hooks were all I could get out of it.

That would be exactly what I am looking for. I really love hitting the BBV 3-wood, when I do hit it straight with the bassara shaft it is LONG (off the tee I think the longest I hit it was around 310 yards) but I just couldnt get very consistent with that shaft. So it sounds like the BBV/Tour Green is just the combination I am looking for. If it is also easier than the X2 hot from the deck that is just a very nice bonus.

Do you know if there is any difference in forgiveness between the two? On off center hits that is. Also, is the BBV also draw biased, like the X2 hot?

Last edited:
Did you do anything to modify swing weight? And did you cut the shaft down 1/4 inch to match the standard BBV-length (now im assuming you took a shaft from an X2 hot which might be wrong)? :)

That would be exactly what I am looking for. I really love hitting the BBV 3-wood, when I do hit it straight with the bassara shaft it is LONG (off the tee I think the longest I hit it was around 310 metres) but I just couldnt get very consistent with that shaft. So it sounds like the BBV/Tour Green is just the combination I am looking for. If it is also easier than the X2 hot from the deck that is just a very nice bonus.

Do you know if there is any difference in forgiveness between the two? On off center hits that is. Also, is the BBV also draw biased, like the X2 hot?

No draw bias with the BBV as far as I know and can tell. If it did, I would have probably cast it aside long ago as I fight a hook as my miss. Never played the X2 Hot, but the BBV is very forgiving IMO. I think it is quite easy to hit off the deck with the modified warbird sole.

No draw bias with the BBV as far as I know and can tell. If it did, I would have probably cast it aside long ago as I fight a hook as my miss. Never played the X2 Hot, but the BBV is very forgiving IMO. I think it is quite easy to hit off the deck with the modified warbird sole.

Sounds great! Will do the swap and hope for the best, if it doesnt work out I´ll just keep my 16* x2 hot pro hybrid in the bag, but I do prefer a bigger head from tee. Damn, 2.15am and stuck at work, I want to do this now and try it out haha. Isnt it a lovely feeling when you are all excited to try out a new (well, "new" in this case) club? :D

I like your comment about the Warbird sole. About a month ago, I was talking to a "Ping Certified Fitter," and mentioned how much I love and how well I hit my BBV Heavenwood. When I mentioned the sole, he sneered and said, "ain't got anything to do with hitting a good shot." Even after I said "even hitting it off the turf?," he said no. Let's just say he and I will have to agree to disagree. In my case, I think the sole does help me off the turf ... that and the loft combined with the 4w length.

I like your comment about the Warbird sole. About a month ago, I was talking to a "Ping Certified Fitter," and mentioned how much I love and how well I hit my BBV Heavenwood. When I mentioned the sole, he sneered and said, "ain't got anything to do with hitting a good shot." Even after I said "even hitting it off the turf?," he said no. Let's just say he and I will have to agree to disagree. In my case, I think the sole does help me off the turf ... that and the loft combined with the 4w length.
That's pretty funny considering the latest evolution of Ping's G series 3w.

That's pretty funny considering the latest evolution of Ping's G series 3w.
To be fair, with the G its not the sole, its the leading edge.

Would I see much difference between a 5w and a HW? I just ordered a 3&5 wood from CPO and already bag the HW. I'm averaging 190-200 with the HW so I'm hoping for 200-215 from the 5w and 220-235 from the 3W. Is this wishful thinking?

Would I see much difference between a 5w and a HW? I just ordered a 3&5 wood from CPO and already bag the HW. I'm averaging 190-200 with the HW so I'm hoping for 200-215 from the 5w and 220-235 from the 3W. Is this wishful thinking?

A buddy of mine owns the V Series 3, 5, 7 and Heavebwood. He said for him the HW was just as long as the 5W but he hit the HW straighter and with more height. So he's keeping the 3w and HW in the bag and selling the 5 and 7 woods.

Back