Callaway Big Bertha V-Series Fairway Wood Review

Solid review. Thank you for taking the time and for posting it. A 5, 7, 9 combo or a 3, heavenwood, 9 combo both look very intriguing.

I'd love to see some comparative data with the Optiforce. The driver got a lot of love in that line, but I really liked the FW. I prefer the V series visually and if it performs like the Optiforce, then that's a winner.

I'd also love some comparative numbers with the XHot. I've not personally found anything better, especially with the higher launching lofts.

Just got an Optiforce 3w couple weeks ago and loving it so far, it replaced the XHP which was somewhat too demanding, especially off the deck.

I get along ok with the XHP 5w but it's also not the most forgiving fw in the world, so I decided to give the V series 5w a try, will let you know how they stack up when they get here in a week or so.

Just got an Optiforce 3w couple weeks ago and loving it so far, it replaced the XHP which was somewhat too demanding, especially off the deck.

I get along ok with the XHP 5w but it's also not the most forgiving fw in the world, so I decided to give the V series 5w a try, will let you know how they stack up when they get here in a week or so.

The Opti is a heck of a FW. Had they made an 11 wood in that line, I'd be playing the Optis. I'd love to hear how the V Series compare.

Good write up Dan, Now if only my wood play was as good

Finally hit the Heavenwood today. Good. Flipping. Night. That thing is amazing. So easy to hit, great dispersion, high, 215 yards of carry off the deck. Feels awesome. Looks lovely at address.

I am not pondering one of these. I am utterly certain I'm going to be bagging one eventually. Just need the price to come down a bit.

Finally hit the Heavenwood today. Good. Flipping. Night. That thing is amazing. So easy to hit, great dispersion, high, 215 yards of carry off the deck. Feels awesome. Looks lovely at address.

I am not pondering one of these. I am utterly certain I'm going to be bagging one eventually. Just need the price to come down a bit.
U and me both...just so easy

Did you check fleabay? Have a mint condition 5w coming that I bought for a bill. Looks like used ones finally starting to show up.

Did you check fleabay? Have a mint condition 5w coming that I bought for a bill. Looks like used ones finally starting to show up.
I'm looking specifically for a heavenwood. Fits the gap between my 4 wood and my 4 hybrid, but is much closer to the 4 wood, and I hit it higher.

paladin and mikedean: Have you hit 7ws recently? The reason I ask is because the first time I hit a shallow 7W with a high launch graphite shaft, I had the "good @#($* god" response. I've had multiple 7ws and they just fit my game better than a 3H. They're much easier for me to hit.

Now if you've had 7ws recently and still have that jaw dropping experience with the Heavenwood, then that's really saying something.

paladin and mikedean: Have you hit 7ws recently? The reason I ask is because the first time I hit a shallow 7W with a high launch graphite shaft, I had the "good @#($* god" response. I've had multiple 7ws and they just fit my game better than a 3H. They're much easier for me to hit.

Now if you've had 7ws recently and still have that jaw dropping experience with the Heavenwood, then that's really saying something.
Some of it is the length of the shaft on the Heavenwood, which combines nicely with the 4-wood I already own. On the rare occasion I find a green I can reach with the 4-wood, one of my big problems is the lower launch makes a green tough to stick to. I've rolled through a fair number of them. So the idea that I can lose 10-15 yards of carry with the HW (as opposed to my 4-wood), but get something that launches higher and with more spin puts more greens in play for me. That it's the same length, uses the same ball position, and I can put a very similar swing on the ball between both those woods, I feel, will only help consistency.

Some of it is the length of the shaft on the Heavenwood, which combines nicely with the 4-wood I already own. On the rare occasion I find a green I can reach with the 4-wood, one of my big problems is the lower launch makes a green tough to stick to. I've rolled through a fair number of them. So the idea that I can lose 10-15 yards of carry with the HW (as opposed to my 4-wood), but get something that launches higher and with more spin puts more greens in play for me. That it's the same length, uses the same ball position, and I can put a very similar swing on the ball between both those woods, I feel, will only help consistency.

Understood. Those are the reasons that I like the high lofted FWs. The ball gets up quickly and lands softly.

Just curious if anyone knows how this (or even the X2H/X2HP) in the 3w would compare to the Razr Fit Extreme fairway from a year ago. I play the RFE in the 4 wood, face opened. I hit it decently from the tee, (good swing = good results) but I am still looking for a little extra help and distance from the turf too, which is where I struggle.

Thanks!!

Compared to the G30, which is most forgiving ? Thinking of getting a 7 w to close the gap between 5 w and 4 h.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Compared to the G30, which is most forgiving ? Thinking of getting a 7 w to close the gap between 5 w and 4 h.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BBV more forgiving hands down. It wasn't nearly as long as other FW I've tested (though not by much), but I'll take forgivess over outright distance any day. My common miss is thin and with the BBV the ball still launches with a nice mid trajectory and the least distance loss.

I have the driver, 3 wood and 7 wood, these clubs have changed my game for the better. The high flight you get and the general straighness is making golf fun again for me.

However in saying this I am a slow swinger (90mph) and these clubs are suited to me, I don't think there will be a lot of sales for this series due to this fact unfortunately.

Glad you found something that is working for you.

First time out today with my new V Series 3 and Heaven woods. I had them built with a little heavier shaft (Speeder 665 stiff), a little higher swing weight (D2) and a quarter inch shorter than stock. Absolutely loved the 3 wood from both the tee and deck. Stupid easy to hit and launch form the deck. Mixed results with the Heavenwood though. Need to learn how to bring the light down on it. Seemed to be losing distance over what I expected because of the very high ball flight. I will get it figured out and love it as well. Very solid feeling fairways. Seemed like I was getting about 10 more yards with the 3 wood over the Cleveland Mashie I was previous playing.

In my Grandaddy bag I have the V-Series 3w and Heavenwood.
Both easy to hit off the tee and deck. Both launch nice and high, fly straight and long.

These are real solid clubs, and I cannot wait to spend more time with them!

In my Grandaddy bag I have the V-Series 3w and Heavenwood.
Both easy to hit off the tee and deck. Both launch nice and high, fly straight and long.

These are real solid clubs, and I cannot wait to spend more time with them!
I too have the 3w and love it but I really want to get my hands on a heavenwood. So stupid easy to hit

I too have the 3w and love it but I really want to get my hands on a heavenwood. So stupid easy to hit

The HeavenWood is... Heavenly!

Didn't hit it off the tee other than fitting, but WOW off a tight lie, the thing is almost automatic!

These fairways continued to shine for me today. Stuffed a Heavenwood 3 feet from the hole from 200 out for an easy eagle. 2 holes later, a 480 yard par 5, hit two 3 woods and was about pin high just right of the green in the bunker.

I hit the Heavenwood yesterday at PGA SS, good grief where has this thing been hiding! I need to revise my Christmas list.

I hit the Heavenwood yesterday at PGA SS, good grief where has this thing been hiding! I need to revise my Christmas list.

This club will NOT disappoint you!

Quick heads up to all lefties, this club does come in left hand. Seen 2 of them at Golftown today after work.

Quick heads up to all lefties, this club does come in left hand. Seen 2 of them at Golftown today after work.

The Callaway website lists the 3 and 5 wood available in both RH & LH.

The Callaway website lists the 3 and 5 wood available in both RH & LH.

I'm going to contact them tomorrow to find out what the deal is because they do exist and I believe I might be purchasing one.

Back