Things that make you go D'oh!

Germerican

AngryYankee
Reaction score
Handicap
23.8 USGA
So yesterday I was playing a round with a friend. We're not great golfers, but we were having fun. I hit an errant shot that landed in the rough with a couple trees about, nothing unusual for my style of play. I ponder my next shot and try to hit the ball through the trees. I had a decent sized gap and have done this shot before with less room for error. I line up my shot and takle my swing. Straight as an arrow, right at a tree. Ball bounces back with a loud pop and rolls onto the fairway, further back than where I i initially started. We had a good laugh and finished the hole.

Lightning struck twice. Same situation happened to my friend and the same result. Ball hit the tree, POP, and landed on the fairway back further than where he started.

Yup.. I've done this too - hitting my second shot further from where I hit the first one. It is very humbling. Other thing that gets to me is mishitting my tee shot and not passing the ladies tee.

Last edited:
Once when I was playing with my dad and his friend, his friend was playing his second shot 50 yards farther back then when he hit his tee shot. He just completely snap hooked his driver into a nearby tree and it shot straight back. It was a guy that plays completely to have fun so he didn't really care and we all laughed pretty hard for a few minutes.

My strangest ricochet was on a par three, over water, with a rock bank. I hit an 8 iron short, onto the rocks, the ball came back and landed on the tee box. My playing partner, unphased simply looked at me and said "That's one". I was laughing so hard it took me a full 2 minutes to try again.

Sent from my AT100 using Tapatalk 2

The first hole this weekend, had hit a decent drive, followed by a 5 iron to get about 8 or 10 yards short of the hole. A poor chip shot failed to get over the huge hill separating two tiers of the green.

So you bet my first putt also fails to get over the hill, but it got the full roll down the hill and rolled to a stop 6" away from where I had originally made my pitch shot third. There's lots of way to make an 8, and one of them involves putting your putter back in the bag to make a second chip shot.

Didn't happen to me, but on Saturday my dad's friend was chipping from about 30 yards out. He hits his shot. The ball only makes it half way and lands in the sand. Then I hear rustling in the trees, and then down comes his club head. Flew right off and almost as far as the ball.

Not as humiliating as hooking a tee shot into the water fountain so it bounces back next to the decking near the clubhouse. And having to walk past lots of people sat drinking to retrieve my ball. Oops.

One of the best ricochets I have ever seen happened at this years IL invitational. Hawk hit the best shot of the rocks to about 12 feet. Just like he planned. Haha

I once hit a drive on the 13th hole at Klipper. The ocean is just to the right of the fairway (beautiful hole). Piped the drive and it lands right on a sign in the middle of the fairway (no carts sign) and flies up into the air and into the ocean. Talk about golf smacking you in the mouth. Sometimes you can't even be right when you execute a shot perfectly. It's why golf is such a fickle game.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 4

My home course has bird houses that mark 100, 150 and 200 on the sides of the fairway. Yesterday, I decided for some reason to hit a fairway wood out of the rough, something that I do not usually do because the results are never good. Yesterday was no different, and I ended up popping the ball straight up in the air. It was coming in straight down and hit the top of the 150 yard birdhouse and shot back about 30 yards into the trees.

Last year me and my partner was on the range warming up and he hits a worm burner down the range and the ball hits a sprinkler head, breaks it, and sends a geyser of water shooting 15 foot in the air in the center of the range. We both quietly grab our bags and walked off the range.

Was playing golf one day on a hilly course that uses those PVC poles for yardage markers on blind shot holes. I hit my drive 10-15 yards from one pole that was dead on my second shot target line.

What are the odds that I could hit that 3 inch diameter pole in the middle of a wide open 50 yard fairway? Not as high as you think.

I ripped bladed my iron shot smack into it carved that pole neater than thanksgiving turkey. My ball flew straight up and landed a few feet from me.

DOH!!!

Last year in a scramble one of my teammates teed off on a par 3. The ball hit the tee marker for the front tees, ricocheted back and landed behind us two feet from the hole on the green we just left.

20130901_111634_zps36ed7289.jpg

Yeah....that's a funny story from Sunday at El Campeon!

Hook drive, punch out of trees, ricochet ball off tree right at John and Brian, and that's where it ended up.

We all had a good laugh at this.

20130901_111634_zps36ed7289.jpg

Hook drive, punch out of trees, ricochet ball off tree right at John and Brian, and that's where it ended up.

"Play it as it lies"

One of the best ricochets I have ever seen happened at this years IL invitational. Hawk hit the best shot of the rocks to about 12 feet. Just like he planned. Haha

That was such a good shot.

Hit a shot out of the rough at El Campeon that didn't quite carry a tree short of the green. Landed in the top of the tree, and that's where it stayed. First time that's ever happened to me.

Just curious as to whose cart that was? Yours or the other guys?

Just curious as to whose cart that was? Yours or the other guys?

The other guys with us. It was TC1 and Spicoli's cart. Wake was smart and stayed further back. :p

Found myself in a chest deep bunker with a high lip. Tried to pop it out but caught too much sand and wound up hitting the lip. Watched my ball roll back down to where I originally hit it. At least I was already set for my second shot:banghead:

Found myself in a chest deep bunker with a high lip. Tried to pop it out but caught too much sand and wound up hitting the lip. Watched my ball roll back down to where I originally hit it. At least I was already set for my second shot:banghead:

Isn't that just an ordinary every day sand shot? Are you trying to tell me that we're supposed to get out of a bunker in one stroke?

I would say lay up unless you can make the shot 60 to 75% of the time. Outside of that, you could easily get an ugly on it. Match play to go to extra holes is always a lay up unless your competition is going at it. It is always helpful to be closer ti the hole so you can see the competitions shot...

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2

"Play it as it lies"

Actually, that would likely be an unplayable lie. Drop it below where it is, one club length and add 1 to the card.

As for trees - everyone lines up so their eyes/body point towards the hole, forgetting that the ball is two feet in front of them. Now days I put the club down and point the face toward the hole then line up to the club - its a lot less dangerous.

The funniest and luckiest shot for me was on number 3 hole at my home course. I was about 170 out with forced water carry. Well I went for it lol. I half topped half bladed the ball which went skipping across the water with the last skip just high enough to land on top of the railroad tie edge and bounce onto the green about 15 feet from the hole lol.

Back