How would you handle "This Guy".

I say 'when you get a spot on the tour then come back and I might listen. Until then keep it to yourself' My game, my swing.

I played a game today and was joined by an older gentleman who was a member at the course. Nice guy. Easy going.
After a couple holes he started to give me his unsolicited tips. From putting to the full swing he told me how to play shots.
Now after a couple of holes I mentioned that I have a fantastic instructor who has me working on key things but this guy never stopped giving me advice.
Now after 9 holes it's affecting my game and really taking the pleasure out of it for me.
Not wanting to be rude I simply smile and nodded but I really just wanted to yell "shut the f#%k up".
I've been guilty of slightly doing this in the past but I now only offer when asked.
I never want to be that guy. Are you that guy? How should I have handled that guy?

There are two ways I'd probably deal with this.

1 - First, I'd suggest a couple of times as nicely as possible that I don't need the advice but appreciate it. If that didn't stop him, I'd probably outright tell him his advice is terrible and counterproductive to my swing style. I can get pretty vindictive when people rub me the wrong way and this would probably ignite that.

2 - I'd start offering him unsolicited advice on every single shot. I'd tell him how to breathe, whether to soften or strengthen his grip, watch the weight on his back leg, suggest he change his finish. I wouldn't know what the heck I was talking about, but frankly neither does he so it's a solid match.

I think the only thing people like worse than people ignoring their advice is getting advice right back.

I don't give advice, I've got my own problems to worry about! If I'm playing with a friend and they lament a poor shot or result, about the only thing I will comment on is their alignment if it is noticeably off. We all get a little crooked lining up at times and it can screw with us mentally. As far as swings go, I'm not a doctor.

Start giving him swing advice right back.

"I appreciate what you're trying to do but no more tips or advice please. Thank you!"

I've had a friend do it, but never a stranger. I'd be blunt, honestly. I'd tell him to keep his comments to himself. If he didn't. I'd let them go ahead and I'd play as a single, or go back to the clubhouse and ask to start over.

I have a buddy that I do that to, and he does it right back....but that's because we talk about golf all the time, play together often, and usually discuss what we're working on swing-wise during the round. So we just keep an eye out. I have an issue with head movement and not following through, and he has a problem with lifting his leading foot and going too far back in his back swing. Other than that, I've never really had any unsolicited advice. What I DID have was a sweet little old guy play 18 with me and a buddy who insisted on doing a play by play for himself and us. I didn't have the heart to say anything because he really was a great guy.

Play Deaf. "WHUD YOOU SAAYY?" with your tongue pressed against the roof of your mouth.

I am not that guy - unless someone asks for help....

You did the polite thing - I would've tried it one more time - if he continued to say things I would suggest he tee off the next hole by themselves...

I am a very modest person so I would have thanked him for his suggesti.....

HAHAHAHAAH. I couldn't make it all the way through that. I tried really.

Thankfully I've never run into that guy, and even though I know the swing well enough, I've never jumped to give advise unless I was asked. As for what I would have done? If it came to the point where it was effecting me, like it did you and the guy couldn't take the hint? Then I'd start offering advice to him on all of this swings and locations as we was with me. Maybe mirroring his antics would get the point across? ha

Simple. Watch him swing, then say "oh, I see. Not everybody can bring the club back that far inside and get it back, but for you I guess it works."
Watch him self-destruct.

I would just tell him, "thanks but no thanks. I really don't like getting advice in the middle of my round. If I want some advice, maybe I'll ask you after the round". That would hopefully keep him quiet during the round.

Let him know early on before it boils over into anger.

Get angry and let it out if the guy does not shut up after you ask him to the first couple times.

I don't play well with people who do this stuff. I figure if you are going to mess with me, I will mess with you. Usually about two questions or "observations" will fix the situation.

I used to play a lot as a single and I'd run into "that guy" every once in a while. I always did my best to simply ignore it. What's odd is that guy was never that good. My daughters are now learning to play and sometimes I'll go out with one as a 2-some and we'll get paired up...They get unsolicited advice constantly and it drives them nuts. My youngest stormed back to cart one time and said "OMG Dad!! Tell that guy to SHUT UP!!!" I just told her to smile and say thanks and then ignore him...I also said let this be a lesson...never ever give advice unless someone asks. I think she gets it. :)

You can say, "Thanks, but I'm currently trying my two-plane Stack and Tilt with a little more X-factor at the top and a little more juice on the Impact Zone."

If you can't fart on command, I'd start complimenting every shot he makes, and express verbal emotion for all of his bad shots. ("damn, you got robbed, that was a bad lie, looks like the wind got that one, etc...)
In between shots, talk incessantly about the weather or some other off the wall topic. Say "ya know what I mean?" Say it alot.

If you can't fart on command, I'd start complimenting every shot he makes, and express verbal emotion for all of his bad shots. ("damn, you got robbed, that was a bad lie, looks like the wind got that one, etc...)
In between shots, talk incessantly about the weather or some other off the wall topic. Say "ya know what I mean?" Say it alot.

+1. I'll have to remember that one.

I was paired with that guy a few rounds ago. I sliced the ball off the first tee, it happens. He started telling me swing out to first base and bla bla bla. then he steps up and hits it 175 yards hooked into the left bushes. We play out the next two holes with me 1 under and him 3 over second was a par 3 I played a fade off the tee he said make sure you swing out that would have gone straighter. Next hole par 4 i pull out the driver and he says remember what I said and you will be fixxed. I shut the face down and hit the nastiest duck hook waffle house (smothered and covered) swing I can. I looked up and him and said, "great now I have your swing, thats the last thing I want you what 3 over threw 2" my buddies died laughing and he left the tee box all pissed but he did not say another bit of advice all day.

I was paired with that guy a few rounds ago. I sliced the ball off the first tee, it happens. He started telling me swing out to first base and bla bla bla. then he steps up and hits it 175 yards hooked into the left bushes. We play out the next two holes with me 1 under and him 3 over second was a par 3 I played a fade off the tee he said make sure you swing out that would have gone straighter. Next hole par 4 i pull out the driver and he says remember what I said and you will be fixxed. I shut the face down and hit the nastiest duck hook waffle house (smothered and covered) swing I can. I looked up and him and said, "great now I have your swing, thats the last thing I want you what 3 over threw 2" my buddies died laughing and he left the tee box all pissed but he did not say another bit of advice all day.

What a jackass that guy is.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I hate it when that happens... My boss is always asking for swing advice from folks he shouldn't be asking. Then he asks my opinions. I politely tell him that everyone's swings differently and the best advice is to see a pro. He has recently started getting lessons and has helped him a bunch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back