No American love on the European tour?

jspangs

Reaction score
Handicap
While watching the Volvo Match Play the last to days I can honestly say I haven't seen Patrick Reed on TV yet.

His Match yesterday with Blixt I'm sure was a fun one to watch(it may have came on after I stopped watching) and I've watched the match play all morning and haven't seen any of Reeds shots today.

Just curious what gives.

I was watching it this morning and his match had not started yet. They seemed to be showing all of the matches, so I'd expect that includes Reed.

I was watching it this morning and his match had not started yet. They seemed to be showing all of the matches, so I'd expect that includes Reed.
They are through 8-9 holes already i believe. So they I'm sure they could have shown 1 shot by now.

Are the earlier matches heating up or something? Or is Reed's match a blow out?

Are the earlier matches heating up or something? Or is Reed's match a blow out?
No reed is 1 up through 9 and the most matches are 2-3 and 4 up heading into later holes.

No idea then. Maybe the Euro producers hate him, or the camera guys are too lazy to get over to the earlier holes again, or they figure they'll show that match later. I agree though, I'd certainly want to see that match over a lot of the others.

No idea then. Maybe the Euro producers hate him, or the camera guys are too lazy to get over to the earlier holes again, or they figure they'll show that match later. I agree though, I'd certainly want to see that match over a lot of the others.
I agree 100% I'm sure I'll get to see the end of the match. But I've see 2 matches being 4 up.

Update they've shown Paul Casey (who Reed is playing) twice now but still haven't shown Reed hit a shot.

The European Tour television coverage has such poor production value, you never know what you are going to see. Their budget is smaller for stuff like that.

The European Tour television coverage has such poor production value, you never know what you are going to see. Their budget is smaller for stuff like that.

Amazingly, though, they actually show golf during their broadcast.

Unlike NBC, which has seemingly limitless money yet can only seem to show about 5-10 actual golf shots an hour while squeezing in 30-40 minutes of commercials and Jimmy Roberts fluff pieces.

I loved watching the Volvo coverage this am. But it made me sick when I started comparing it to the RC coverage that NBC showed.

At least the Euro players like him!

Amazingly, though, they actually show golf during their broadcast.

Unlike NBC, which has seemingly limitless money yet can only seem to show about 5-10 actual golf shots an hour while squeezing in 30-40 minutes of commercials and Jimmy Roberts fluff pieces.

I loved watching the Volvo coverage this am. But it made me sick when I started comparing it to the RC coverage that NBC showed.
I'm not saying coverage was bad, there was a lot of golf to watch. I actually love watching the European Tour. But I just found it weird that I haven't seen Reed hit but one ball (a 3 foot putt) in 3-4 hours of watching the coverage. He must be the anti Tiger, lol.

Funny, I was on the phone talking to an American colleague of mine about the same thing thins afternoon!

I asked him why Reed (and the European Tour in general) were largely ignored by the US media. He reckoned US media and fans regards their own competitions as being superior, therefore not caring about what happens in other parts of the world. Could be true...
I'm not saying coverage was bad, there was a lot of golf to watch. I actually love watching the European Tour. But I just found it weird that I haven't seen Reed hit but one ball (a 3 foot putt) in 3-4 hours of watching the coverage. He must be the anti Tiger, lol.
Had the same with my fellow countryman Joost Luiten , who's playing pretty well this tournament. I've barely seen him play the last couple of days.

I think this is a fair point. There are too much broadcasts where I see my favorite players hit 5 balls in total. But in their defense: I highly doubt if their budget is 1/10th of what being spent on the PGA Tour. What they often do is pick a couple of pairings and follow them around the course, showing other groups on only a couple of featured holes.

That lack of money does have one huge advantage: No constant stream of commercial breaks and having to watch the "(fill random golf statistic) powered by Hyundai". We actually see golf all day long.

Is is just me or isn't it a European feed? So why would they worry about getting Americans in the TV coverage.

I have been watching all the days and have really nothing to complain about.. Reed from the rough on the screen right now..

The most fun thing about this and other Volvo sponsored events (except for great golf) are the hole in one prizes! Imagine winning a truck or a couple of boat engines! :clap:

I watched for a little while today and the most i saw was a putt from reed on one of the early holes.

His match against Donaldson is definitely getting as much coverage as the rest of them today. Watching Golf Channel Thailand's coverage.

Unfortunately I have to work today so I don't get to watch today. I will say this is not the first time I've noticed it. When watching the Euro Tour even when Kopeka or Uhilen was in contention they didn't get much coverage.

I'm surprised reading this. Ha I g watched golf on both sides of the Atlantic, I find the European coverage far better. They tend to show a far wider range of shots. The World Match Play is a limited field which is even more surprising that games are seemingly being ignored. Let's be honest though, with possibly the exception of McIlroy, unless they are leading, or about to take the lead, you won't see many European shots hit over here.

Didn't see a thread dedicated to the European Tour in general so I figured this was the next best place for the post.

Just finished watching the Dubai Duty Free Irish Open. Amazing finish by Russell Knox with over 100' of putts made over the last 3 holes including the first playoff hole to beat Ryan Fox.
Nice exposure for Srixon/Cleveland too. Are they a little bigger on the Euro than the PGA tour?

Anyone who wasn't watching the end of round and the playoff was missing out. Crazy to have basically identical 50 footers to tie then win was crazy. I honestly thought it wa a replay at first.

Great finish :good:

Knox played really well, deserving winner, felt a little bit for Fox who didn't really do much wrong. Campillo shooting a course record 65 to come 3rd on his own was immense.

Who surprised me more than anyone was Jon Rahm. When he won it last year it was wet and chilly, greens soft and receptive so he could play it "normally" despite the wind.

The Thursday was the apparently the first time he'd played competetive golf on a true Links in those conditions (hot, dry, hard, fast and windy), hence the +2 74. Looked like he was going to totally lose it, and his temperament is always a doubt as to whether he can keep his head on.

Then he went 69-67-66 to finish joint 4th on -12

Last edited:
BTW - I forgot to mention that that last round 66 included a treble bogey 7 on the par 4 2nd hole. :bulgy-eyes:

Back