Wilson Staff D200 Driver Review Thread

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
I know 9 THPers received this driver at the THP Event #PersonalDistance w/ THP & Wilson Staff and have been playing it ever since. This thread will serve as host for their reviews and thoughts on the club overall.

Looking forward to seeing some pretty cool pictures of their laser engraved drivers.

Wilson-D200-Driver.jpg

Looking forward to their thoughts and pictures as well.

I can only speak for myself when I say that previously I wouldn't have even considered looking at Wilson Staff clubs, but after the event and the lengths that they went to and the outcomes that were seen, I am certainly not going to dismiss them in the future

Can't wait for this.

Since getting rid of Staff blades in the early 90's, I never looked at Wilson Staff golf clubs again. My perception of the brand has changed in the past year after reading reviews of their clubs on here and seeing the support and collaboration Wilson has with THP. My mind and bag is now open to the brand again.

I've played golf for 18 years now and had many drivers over those years. For me this is the first one where I hit the ball and just have this "oh yea" feel as it goes sailing away. It's hard to describe but it's great.

I will have more after I play this weekend. So far:

1. I love the matte black crown and alignment aid. I also like the W/S logo on the center of the face.
2. The stock shaft is an Elements Chrome shaft. As far as I know, none of the THPers who were professionally fit ended up with this shaft. However, I hit 3 or 4 balls with it, and it was solid.
3. If you are into sound, this driver will not disappoint. The sound and feel remind me of the Cobra Amp Cell. Solid hits sound awesome.
4. My driver is a 9.0*. On decent swings, the trajectory is awesome. It's a piercing ball flight, but it stays in the air for a long time on a sort of slow rise.
5. Toe hits fly far and with a little draw. I haven't really hit any heel shots yet, so I can't comment there. Also, the top and bottom of the face are both pretty hot.
6. This driver is extremely light. I was concerned that I wouldn't have any feel for where the clubface was, but that's not an issue at all.

P.S. This driver looks nasty with a RIP Phenom shaft in it.

• Admin
Erky that is a great point about the sound. Arguably the best sounding driver on the market to my ears rivaled only by the Big Bertha.

I think 441 was a toss up between the PXv and the Elements Chrome.

Erky that is a great point about the sound. Arguably the best sounding driver on the market to my ears rivaled only by the Big Bertha.

This makes me happy, especially since I recall some not so positive comments regarding the M3's sound.

Did anybody in the event ask Wilson about driver/metalwood presence on tour? I'm sure it ties back to how much other companies who shall remain nameless are willing to pay pros to bag their driver, but I can't help but wonder why they don't try and get at least a fairway or hybrid in Streels' or Paddy's hands.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

I think 441 was a toss up between the PXv and the Elements Chrome.

yep I'll be back this weekend when I can take some pics. I think I could have gamed either shaft but saw a few of my better hits with the PXv

After following along with the #PersonalDistance and hearing all the amazing feedback, I can't wait to give this thing a swing!

Cannot wait to put some swings on this! Very intrigued by what I have read.

Really looking forward to the January release of this thing. I'm putting off my SLDR purchase until then because of all the good feedback. Can't wait to hear what everyone has to say about it after some more rounds with it :)

Really looking forward to the January release of this thing. I'm putting off my SLDR purchase until then because of all the good feedback. Can't wait to hear what everyone has to say about it after some more rounds with it :)

My personal opinion is that this driver is worlds more forgiving than the SLDR. That's just anecdotal, though, and is based on a very limited number of holes played with the D200.

Can't wait to see more pictures! Really awesome following along during the fittings.

My personal opinion is that this driver is worlds more forgiving than the SLDR. That's just anecdotal, though, and is based on a very limited number of holes played with the D200.
I hear most clubs are more forgiving than the SLDR.... But I do tend to hit it on the center so it works for me. But I've been told shaft selection is the most important so I'll compare them when it's time :) Super happy Wilson is headed in a positive direction!

I'm looking forward to hitting this one. Glad to hear it sounds good as I don't like the sound of the FG Tour M3 driver. I'm open to any brand but have always had a soft spot for Wilson since I was a kid when they were widely popular on tour. I think I'm the only one at my club playing Wilson Staff irons so this driver would fit nicely with the rest of my bag.

The sound was definitely a pleasant surprise. I sat and watched one of the W/S guys hit the M3 after the fittings were done (311 yards on his first swing in socks by the way) and it was shockingly loud.

The sound was definitely a pleasant surprise. I sat and watched one of the W/S guys hit the M3 after the fittings were done (311 yards on his first swing in socks by the way) and it was shockingly loud.

I hit the M3 well on an outdoor range the other day with the Phenom NL shaft but couldn't get past the sound. I'm holding off until January to hit this before buying anything else. I buy at least 3 drivers each year so I'm 100% getting one of these that for no other reason I enjoy playing "off" brands that nobody else at my somewhat brand snobby club would consider. It seems that it's all big name only drivers at my club.

Some initial thoughts after limited swings:

Seems very forgiving, most of my misses have been either off the toe or high on the face. I've seen only a slight distance loss on those hits.

Mine is the 9* set to the draw setting, (which if I recall correctly is a little more than just closing the face) During the fitting I started with my misses going right, some way right. When moved to the draw setting, my dispersion tightened up dramatically and was even hitting a few draws!

Matte black finish looks sharp. "Ghost" colored alignment aid also looks sharp and gives me some level of confidence (not exactly sure why). It's nice to have the alignment even though it plays no part when actually swinging the club.

I agree with Erky, and just about everyone else... the sound of this thing is great. Definitely not what I call the "hollow tin can" sound some drivers have.

Yep a D setting is a lie angle change rather than a face adjustment.

Would LOVE :love: to see a picture of this nasty driver. Any other pictures of the driver from the :wilsonstaff: Personal Distance crew as well. Thanks.
I will have more after I play this weekend. So far:

1. I love the matte black crown and alignment aid. I also like the W/S logo on the center of the face.
2. The stock shaft is an Elements Chrome shaft. As far as I know, none of the THPers who were professionally fit ended up with this shaft. However, I hit 3 or 4 balls with it, and it was solid.
3. If you are into sound, this driver will not disappoint. The sound and feel remind me of the Cobra Amp Cell. Solid hits sound awesome.
4. My driver is a 9.0*. On decent swings, the trajectory is awesome. It's a piercing ball flight, but it stays in the air for a long time on a sort of slow rise.
5. Toe hits fly far and with a little draw. I haven't really hit any heel shots yet, so I can't comment there. Also, the top and bottom of the face are both pretty hot.
6. This driver is extremely light. I was concerned that I wouldn't have any feel for where the clubface was, but that's not an issue at all.

P.S. This driver looks nasty with a RIP Phenom shaft in it.

Did they share what the planned MSRP of this baby is?

Back