So I'm unboxing my new irons and

Franklin51

On the Verge
Reaction score
Handicap
I couldn't help but chuckle. I was taking the plastic off my 4-aw Razr X Tour irons and noticed the 6i and PW were logo down while the others were logo up.guess they slipped through QA

I couldn't help but chuckle. I was taking the plastic off my 4-aw Razr X Tour irons and noticed the 6i and PW were logo down while the others were logo up.guess they slipped through QA

Did you order them from a reputable place?

Did you order them from a reputable place?

I'm guessing so. I have bought from them before. They run an ebay store

I'm not hugly worried about it. I will swap them when I regrip the hybrids

I got them from tee2green out of Tuscaloosa. Same place my driver came from and it's been ok

If this was an eBay purchase, I would be a little worried. This is just not something Callaway would let slip through.

If this was an eBay purchase, I would be a little worried. This is just not something Callaway would let slip through.

I may call callaway. Things I got from them in her past were good.

Easy way to verify they are legit clubs is call customer service and give them the serial number. I do that after any online purchase for peace of mind

Easy way to verify they are legit clubs is call customer service and give them the serial number. I do that after any online purchase for peace of mind

Yea I'm going to Monday.

Just for fun, got a pic?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1413688911.854331.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1413688923.430314.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1413688957.965707.jpg

7iron on the right and 6 on the left. Head pic is of the 8 iron cause I can't find the serial number. 6 does have an assembled in China sticker on it so is there a chance he took single clubs and made a set ?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1413690323.477443.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1413690343.421864.jpg
Took a pic of the bags they came in. The tags and bags are slightly different

I don't see a pic with the logos.

But yeah the bags and the fact that grips don't match seems to make it seem like they were ordered individually.

That's not always full proof tho. All it takes if for them to go in a golf store and write down a serial number from a set off the rack and apply that to every set of matching knock offs they make.

Had an Odyssey putter a few years ago with misaligned grip and the local shop told me that about a fourth of the Odyssey putters had misaligned grips new from Callaway. So much for QC and mass production. Worked in a factory and with so much product going out the door they are not going to catch everything. Not knocking Callaway, they make some of the best clubs and putters I've played with.

Serial number checks mean nothing today in the counterfeiting game. The lowlifes figured that one out long ago.

Serial number checks mean nothing today in the counterfeiting game. The lowlifes figured that one out long ago.

Very true. My buddy that works at Golf Galaxy has seen a lot of hard to distinguish counterfeit clubs come through there store for re-gripping or re-shafting in the last year. Often the differences are only just a slight difference in the shade of one of the accent or fill paints. The shaft paint on counterfeit clubs is usually of low quality as well. An original mold from Callaway, TM, Nike, etc. are readily available on the black market.

I don't know guys it may be legit. The guy had good feedback

Logo up and down as well as it being a Callaway grip vs Lamkin. Something is up.

Logo up and down as well as it being a Callaway grip vs Lamkin. Something is up.
The Lamkin grip is the big one to me. I don't ever recall seeing a different grip on a Callaway club, especially clubs from that era. I tend to agree that something seems fishy.

I just went over them with a fine tooth comb and can't find a serial number. Other than the grips they look legit. I'm debating on going ahead and filing through ebay and PayPal

Sounds like u were had on this one. I'm done with ebay for clubs after I was had on a set of wedges. They looked legit but when I hit them I knew right away that something was up. I'm sticking to the local Golfsmith for my purchases. Sure it's more expensive but I will have piece of mind that it's authentic.

If you watched the "In-Play with Jimmy Roberts" special on club counterfeiting, you would have seen that it's so pervasive on the Internet now, that any time you get a "great deal" which gives you a price far lower than you would get at a brick-and-mortar store, the chances are overwhelming it's a counterfeit club. In fact, many counterfeits are so good looking nowadays, the only way the manufacturers can tell is to take them apart.

I've emailed the seller and he's got 48 hours then I will file my claim. The clubs feel on ( hit the 6) so idk

I've emailed the seller and he's got 48 hours then I will file my claim. The clubs feel on ( hit the 6) so idk

Well, that's not to say a counterfeit club (if it is) won't hit the ball decent. In fact, in some of testing between counterfeit and genuine clubs, the counterfeit were not off by much. In some cases, the difference was so small the average golfer might not notice. But the point is, do you really want to have doubts? Even a 1-yard difference in dispersion can be significant.

That's not to say that your club is counterfeit and therein lies the problem; it's almost impossible to know unless you send it to the manufacturer for them to analyze.

But it's a big enough deal that I'm restricting my purchases to only boxed stores or online retailers which are specifically authorized by the manufacturer (verified from the manufacturer end, not just because the website said so).

It boils down to if it seems like too good a deal to be true, it probably is.

Back