the bottom of the arc with the irons

rollin

"Just playin golf pally"
Reaction score
Handicap
don't know what else to tittle it and didn't put this in the swing tips section because imo its not really looking for a swing tip or fix per say but really just a curiosity for discussing something about the arc bottom in relation to our stance at address and also of course the ball. But of course move the thread if the powers that be feel it should be moved.

Anyway here it is. At the range today and was thinking about irons spin and striking ball first and something curiously interesting dawned on me.
When we stand at address and ground the iron behind the ball is this not our arc bottom? How is it that if this is our arc bottom we are then suppose to move that bottom in front of the ball when we hit it? Is this what we are actually doing when we take that divot that is in front of the ball? It just had me wondering that it doesn't quite make correct sense that we move our arc bottom as we swing or is it simply that when we are at address are we really in position where the club head is actually before our arc bottom as it is sitting there just behind the ball?

IDK, just found this curiously interesting. It even went as far as to experiment by leaving the iron head off the ground at address and it didn't really solve anything but didn't hurt me either. But still left me with the curiosity about it.

If your right arm is bent at address, extending it down and through impact will change the bottom of your arc.

Also, if you shift your weight forward during the start of the downswing you will be moving your swing arc forward.

* And Trackman calls it "low point".

don't know what else to tittle it and didn't put this in the swing tips section because imo its not really looking for a swing tip or fix per say but really just a curiosity for discussing something about the arc bottom in relation to our stance at address and also of course the ball. But of course move the thread if the powers that be feel it should be moved.

Anyway here it is. At the range today and was thinking about irons spin and striking ball first and something curiously interesting dawned on me.
When we stand at address and ground the iron behind the ball is this not our arc bottom? How is it that if this is our arc bottom we are then suppose to move that bottom in front of the ball when we hit it? Is this what we are actually doing when we take that divot that is in front of the ball? It just had me wondering that it doesn't quite make correct sense that we move our arc bottom as we swing or is it simply that when we are at address are we really in position where the club head is actually before our arc bottom as it is sitting there just behind the ball?

IDK, just found this curiously interesting. It even went as far as to experiment by leaving the iron head off the ground at address and it didn't really solve anything but didn't hurt me either. But still left me with the curiosity about it.

Take one of your irons and a ball and go put both on a table top. Look closely and see where (what groove) the ball touches the club. What do you see? My guess is around the 3rd groove? Where is the sweet spot on that same iron? Around the 5th groove?
Taking a divot and hitting down on the ball, delivers the ball to the correct spot on the club, where if you where to just able to pick it off the ground without a divot, you'd be hitting the ball lower on the club face than you'd like.
It's just that, your swing arch, in order to hit the face correctly if just in front of the ball position, in most cases.

Hip bump and getting your left hip over your left foot I would think accounts for most of it.

If your right arm is bent at address, extending it down and through impact will change the bottom of your arc.

Also, if you shift your weight forward during the start of the downswing you will be moving your swing arc forward.

* And Trackman calls it "low point".

yes thought about weight shift as one of the things that could be sifting things. But also thought about the fact that we are addressing the ball with our hands (at least for me) in front of the ball which would mean the rounded club is not technically at arc bottom but before bottom. And therefore as we also then lead with the hands on the downswing its actually means the true bottom arc is in front of the ball. Yet its also amazing how so many of us may often hit fat...lol

I use a forward press with irons. If my hands start in front of the ball, that will be the bottom at impact, ball first then divot.

Like the above posters said, your weight shift will move the low point of the arc forward from where the clubhead rests at setup. I'd also assume (and someone smarter than me can absolutely correct me if I'm wrong) that centrifugal force plays a part in this as well, with the force extended to the clubhead via your arms and body it's going to bottom out forward of your swing center at setup.

Giggity.

Solid advice.

I think the biggest thing to remember is that address position is NOT identical to impact position

Next time you set up to hit a PW or any iron for that matter, increase your wrist cock as if you had much more shaft lean. Now if you don't do anything you would swing over the ball aka. Whiff. But if you lower your right shoulder AND move your weight to your left side, without moving your head in front of the ball, you should be in a great impact position.

Sent from my XT1055 using Tapatalk

slight cupping of your left wrist at impact should help counteract the extension of the right arm through the shot.. i think so at least.

Back