How To: The Poor Man's Guide to Reshafting Irons

Been considering putting Recoils in my irons. Since I play 1" over standard length, should I get say the 4 iron shaft for my 6 iron? Or get the 6 iron shaft and extend it? I know the weight of the shafts in the 95s taper down in weight as they get longer.

Been considering putting Recoils in my irons. Since I play 1" over standard length, should I get say the 4 iron shaft for my 6 iron? Or get the 6 iron shaft and extend it? I know the weight of the shafts in the 95s taper down in weight as they get longer.

Are you buying new or pulls?

so, I have removed my shafts from my heads, I did an experiment with half tour 90 and half tour V, and will go back to full tour V.

I have different weights and want to understand swingweights and what to use... should I use the same weights all the way trough or transition to heavier in the short or long irons?

Ideally you should swing weight each individual iron then figure out how much needs to be added to each iron to get your desired swing weight- that's my understanding anyway

Are you buying new or pulls?
Probably new, unless I can find a set of pulls. If I catch the right sale at Golfsmith, it will end up about $37/ shaft.

If you order new they will be club specific then butt trim to your final length, unless you want to Soft or hard step them.

Ideally you should swing weight each individual iron then figure out how much needs to be added to each iron to get your desired swing weight- that's my understanding anyway

Thanks Jason, I did install them all with the same weights, I will go to golftown and have them checked when I can and make the appropriate changes

I just pulled a shaft out of my old gap wedge. It is from NY previous set. I was surprised how easy it came off with a little under two minutes of the heat gun. I probably should have cleaned out the hosel while it was warm but it looks like the excess will come out with a drill bit. It neasures .370 all the way. One thing I did notice is the older club "50 degree" is one inch longer than my current "A" 48 degree wedge.

Quick question...

For a new set of graphite irons, not pulls, I know the tip needs to be prepped. I assume this is done with sand paper. Is there a recommended grit to be used? Also do new shafts need to be cut down or are they delivered standard length?

Quick question...

For a new set of graphite irons, not pulls, I know the tip needs to be prepped. I assume this is done with sand paper. Is there a recommended grit to be used? Also do new shafts need to be cut down or are they delivered standard length?

For prepping graphite I normally use 120-150 paper. Just enough to get a good scratch pattern all the way around the tip. Shafts normally require some trimming to length. Golf works has a good chart for all the shafts they sell. Parallel tip shafts usually get a tip trim for the iron number and/or flex, then butt trim to length. Taper tip shafts are typically butt trim only.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Damn this is confusing and seems like a lot of work.

Only takes a minute to scratch the tips up, a tape to measure and a cut off wheel of some sort to cut(I use a grinder)

Remember measure twice cut once, I lay a piece of tape approximately where I am gonna cut mark on it then cut there and peel the tape off

I guess what I could do is pull the old shafts, lay beside the new ones, and mark off, then cut.

What is the recommended too to cut down graphite shafts?

How To: The Poor Man's Guide to Reshafting Irons

Anyone have any idea what this gold piece is at the end of DG Pro shaft?
10e8365c19f2538c133e2fb45f38f9e7.jpg

That is a swing weight brass plug. Probably 3 - 5 grams.

JM

It CAN be removed with a little more heat and some pliers.

JM

Swing weight...pretty much had the same questions as you when i tried to do mine

Plug weight in the end of the shaft.

Looking forward to doing this myself for the first time here soon. Going to be getting a set of C-Tapers that I want to try in my MCs.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

I guess what I could do is pull the old shafts, lay beside the new ones, and mark off, then cut.

What is the recommended too to cut down graphite shafts?

If you don't remove the grip from the old your mark will be an 1/8th+ long not a big deal

I used a grinder with a concrete cutting blade on it, a dremel engraver works with a cut off wheel.

It's a swing weight plug, had them in my dpc's didn't have the right ones to go in the recoils so left them out.

Well that project came to a screeching halt. Thanks JM. I forgot that Bridgestone irons are .355 tapered. My graphite shafts are parallel. Time to find a different set of heads to put these project X 6.0 graphite into. Err...

Well that project came to a screeching halt. Thanks JM. I forgot that Bridgestone irons are .355 tapered. My graphite shafts are parallel. Time to find a different set of heads to put these project X 6.0 graphite into. Err...

How about some C200s :alien:

You could have the hosels reamed to 0.370 but that's a big leap and unless you got a screaming deal on the shafts it probably won't be worth the extra costs.

If you did do this you could use .355 shafts with shims.

How about some C200s :alien:

You could have the hosels reamed to 0.370 but that's a big leap and unless you got a screaming deal on the shafts it probably won't be worth the extra costs.

If you did do this you could use .355 shafts with shims.

Some C200s would be amazing. I've had my eyes on those for awhile now.

Hey what's everyone using for heat for pulling shafts? Besides a blow torch what heat guns are people using?

Hey what's everyone using for heat for pulling shafts? Besides a blow torch what heat guns are people using?

I bought a heat gun, and it wasn't hot enough, I switched to the blowtorch.

I think heat gun can work, maybe some go higher than others

I bought a heat gun, and it wasn't hot enough, I switched to the blowtorch.

I think heat gun can work, maybe some go higher than others

Good to know! Thanks for the input! Any others have success or input?

Come spring time it's poor mans golf shop being built in my garage/tool bench area because...why not!

Back